Sequel: Iron Maiden
Status: In Progress

Iron Skye

Chapter 8

The days went on like they had before. My dad buried himself in his workshop, working on some secret project while Pepper and I worked on my dad's gift.

I had told Pepper about my idea for my dad's old arc reactor and she helped me make it happen.

Obadiah Stane came over one night after a trip to New York. I got a nervous gnawing in my stomach as he walked in the door. He came in the room, pizza in hand. I was sitting on the couch, laptop in hand, surfing TMZ's website, reading the ridiculous stories about my dad and I.

"Tony's downstairs in the garage. I'll buzz him, let him know you're here."

I could feel Obadiah's eyes on me, making me squirm.

I set my laptop on the coffee table and made my way to the stairs down to my dad's workshop.

"Where are you going Skye?" Pepper asked me.

"To get my dad."

"I already buzzed him."

"Yeah, and he's going to listen." Another thing I inherited from my dad besides his looks.

"Wait. Would you take this to him?" She handed me the box and a coffee mug. She gave me a knowing look as she handed me the items.

I punched in my code, waking into the garage.

"Dad," He was sitting at a table. "Pepper buzzed you? Did you hear?" Probably not.

"Yeah, everything's... What?"

"Obadiah's upstairs."

"Great!"

"What would you like me to tell him?"

"Great. I'll be right up."

"Okay. I thought you said you were done making weapons." I said, looking at the price of machinery attached to his arm.

"It... This is a flight stabiliser... It's completely harmless." He activated the machine and it threw him back across the room. "I didn't expect that."

"Uh-huh." I crossed my arms.

"What?" My dad asked, taking the stabilizer off his arm.

I shrugged, looking down at the floor.

"Come on. Somethings bothering you." He placed his hands on my shoulders, holding me at arms length.

"Obadiah brought pizza."

"Alright then let's go." He started leading me towards the door.

"Don't make me go up there." I said, stopping and grabbing his hand.

"Why not?"

"Because...because...there's something that happened while you were gone."

My dad sighed. "Alright. I'll be back, just...just stay here."

My dad went up the stairs

He came back down about 10 minutes later. I was sitting on the couch, channel surfing. He hopped the back of the couch, landing beside me, his arm stretched across the back of the couch.

"So. Tell me."

"Look, just, promise you won't get mad." I said, facing him, sitting criss-cross applesauce on the couch.

"Skye..."

"Promise you're not going to make a scene or try and get revenge."

"I promise." He said, holding out his pinky.

I linked my pinky with his before starting. "While you were gone, about a month or so after you disappeared, Obadiah decided to try and gain custody of me. He came over once right after you disappeared and he seemed very concerned with my well being. He got a lawyer and wanted to go to court but you had put in your will that Pepper was to gain custody of me."

My dad's face was blank. I could see him processing everything as he stared at my face.

"Come here." He finally said, motioning for me to get closer. I slid over and he pulled me into his side, wrapping his arms around me. "You know I wouldn't let anything happen to you, right?" I nodded. "I know you think I don't care."

"Is this coming from what Pepper told you?"

His brow furrowed. "What?"

"I overheard you and Pepper the other night. Her telling you to do something. I know you didn't take me to Disneyland on a 'spur of the moment' feeling."

"Skye, I've been a horrible father, okay. I've pushed you away and you've been ignored but after what your mother..."

"Don't bring her into this, please."

"No, we need to talk about your mother at some point."

"It's been 6 years, dad. I think I can wait a few more."

"Hey, I'm just saying I think it would be good for you."

I just shook my head, leaning my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes.