Status: Trying to Write as much as possible

Sacrifice

1

October 2012

The low groans just outside the door had steadily become louder as the night had drawn on. More must have congregated on the porch, somehow they sensed the life that lay hidden within these walls. Claire Duvall sat in the same position she had started her watch three hours ago in. The recliner chair faced the boarded up entrance to the house. Claire still had the rifle resting on her legs cocked and ready to fire if need be.

The house inside was quiet, her daughters and husband slept on the ground pressed up against the wall, Trevor had his arms wrapped around their three year old protectively and Willow slept right next to him pressed as closely as possible. Willow was nine years old with long straight ice blonde hair that ended just below her waist. She was tiny for a nine year old, she had always been small.

They had been hold up in this house for a couple of days trying to recoup, constant running had drained everyone.

Everywhere was raided or destroyed. Blown up by the government in a feeble attempt to contain or stop whatever disease was running rampant but those attempts had long been abandoned. Now it was every man for themselves, left here in this hell to fight their way out. It was either survive or perish and turn into one of those things. Neither one of those options seemed preferable.

Claire closed her eyes for a moment feeling the weight of the past few days washing over her. Her body was exhausted and all she needed was a few more hours of sleep but she couldn’t drift off. Claire snapped her eyes back open trying to fight the exhaustion. She needed to keep watch but her limbs were filling up with the numbing sensation of sleep and her eyes were closing of their own accord. Claire shook her head in a last ditch attempt to stay awake but her head fell forward and the rifle fell to the floor as she fell into a deep slumber.

When Claire woke up she was laying on the ground with a blanket wrapped around her. She rolled over to be greeted by Willow’s round face pressed up against hers and heavy breaths of sleep. Claire sat up and looked to see Trevor sitting in the same recliner chair she had been in holding Emilia in one arm and the rifle in the other.

Carefully, Claire climbed out from under the covers trying not to disturb Willow and walked over to Trevor placing one hand on his shoulder.

“Sorry I fell asleep.”

“You should have woken me.” Trevor responded. “You shouldn’t push yourself so hard.”

“Just trying to do my part.”

Trevor looked up at her, his eyes were bloodshot and the bags underneath them were getting heavier each day.

Claire touched his face running a gentle finger down the side feeling his square jaw protruding out more then usual, “You look worse. You should rest some more.”

Trevor reached up and pushed the hand away. “I’m fine.”

“No!” Claire bit her tongue and calmed herself, “No. Trevor you’re not. How far until the medical supply warehouse?”

“At least another week if we keep moving at this pace.” Trevor looked down at Emilia in his arms and shifted her slightly into a more comfortable position. The toddler didn’t even respond and just continued to sleep soundly her deep breaths the only noise in the room.

“And if we move slower?” Claire asked.

“We can’t move any slower then we already are Claire.”

“Yes, we can. You need to rest.”

Claire watched Trevor close his eyes and let out a large sigh. He hated this and she knew it.

“You’re getting sicker everyday. If we push harder you won’t last.”

“What is the point.” Trevor looked up at her with a resigned expression.

“What do you mean?”

“Getting to the warehouse, it is all a waste.”

Claire got down on her knees and grabbed Trevor by the arm fiercely.

“Don’t you say that.” She pleaded, “You can’t give up. We can make it.”

“Even if we do. What are the chances of surviving? Of making it out of there alive? Of the place even having any medicine?” His voice became more strained and agitated with each question.

“The one thing we can’t do is lose hope. For our sake and for our daughters.”

“Hope. There hasn’t been hope since they bombed the city.”

Claire stood up pushing away from the chair she walked over to Willow sleeping on the ground and rubbed her arm soothingly slowly waking her up. Willow stirred and rubbed her eyes wiping away the dried goop in the corners.

“Are we leaving?” She asked, her voice small and groggy still waking up.

“Yes. Get your things together.” Claire whispered and stood up grabbing the blanket off the floor she started folding it up and stuffed it in the backpack while Willow grabbed her own bag in the corner.

Trevor stood up from the chair propping Emilia up on his hip and holding her in one arm while he picked the rifle up.

Claire pulled the backpack up onto her shoulders and clicked the straps into place then she picked up the baby carrier carefully placing the straps around her back and shoulders. Trevor handed her Emilia and Claire lowered her into the carrier that was positioned just over her stomach and chest. Soon they were going to have to find a new way of carrying the small toddler. Emilia was getting bigger everyday and it was miracle she still fit in the small carrier but by now she was accustomed to the arrangement and gently laid her head against Claire’s chest. Trevor walked over to the wall and picked up his backpack doing the same thing as Claire, strapping it on and clicking everything into place then he helped Maggie with hers. As soon as everything was packed away and put into place Trevor grabbed the rifle and headed towards the door.

They had boarded it up the night they had arrived leaving only a small hole to peak through. Trevor pressed his face to the hole looking out of it, he glanced back at Claire nodding for the go ahead.

Ripping the boards off took some time and was rather loud so immediately after the door was freed they pushed outside into the open air.

The residential area that they had hid in must have been nice once, with the perfectly pedicured lawns and play sets in the backyards. The neighbors probably had book clubs and play dates with the other kids of the neighborhood. Now it was a desolate wasteland.

They walked at a brisk pace trying to get out of the neighborhood before the biters wandered back.

Trevor lead the way, rifle held stiffly in his arms ready to fire, he wore a charcoal button up jacket with a thick collar to keep his neck warm along with camouflage pants and lace up grey combat boots. Hanging off the side of his belt was a large buck knife, something they had picked up along the way. His dark brown hair flopped against the back of the collar and fell down around his ears and was growing out across his eyes. He reminded Claire of what he looked like in high school with his hair all grown out and for some reason the length brought her comfort.

Willow walked behind him all the while keeping a firm grip on his back belt loop. She wore a puffy black jacket with a faux fur hood that was slightly to big for her, zipped up to her chin, and thick jeans along with brown boots.

Claire walked behind everyone, wearing similar clothing as Trevor. She wore black lace up combat boots that reached just below her knees, thick leggings and a green zip up army jacket with a large hood. Her short blonde hair was being held down by a beanie she had picked up from the house. Emilia breathes coincided with the thumping of Claire’s heart as the small child snoozed on through her thick layers of sweaters and scarves. Her small boots smacking against Claire’s leg with each step.

The air was eerily quiet as they made their way down the street and out onto the highway. Claire increased her pace so she could walk beside Trevor.

“Should we walk on the road or do you think it is safer to go through the woods?”

Trevor breathed out heavily as he decided his answer, Claire watched the warm breath dissipate into the cold air.

“If we go by the road we’re less likely to get lost.”

“But wouldn’t the woods be faster?”

“Yes. The woods would be faster but less safe.”

Claire nodded looking up and down Trevor. His walk was steadily slowing down and he held his hand against the right side of his rib cage.

“It’s getting worse isn’t it?” Claire whispered trying to keep Willow from hearing.

“I’m fine.” But even as he said the words Claire saw him physically grimace and she knew that his time was running out. His face turned an awful gray color and his jaw clenched.

“Trev...-” Claire started but stopped short when his face suddenly contorted and he shoved her away falling to the ground. Willow ran around behind Claire as they both starred on in horror, large heaves and gasps escaped Trevor’s body as bile and blood passed his lips. He heaved onto the ground for a minute and every time Claire stepped closer to help he put his hand up to warn her away.

After the vomit finally stopped he crawled over to the nearest tree and slumped against it, a thin layer of sweat covered his face and his eyes were completely blood shot. Claire pulled Emilia out of the carrier and handed her to Willow.
“Honey, I need you to stay here and keep a lookout. Okay? Baby? Can you do that?” Claire squatted down next the child and gently rubbed her face speaking as soothingly and calmly as possible.

Willow slowly nodded her head and Claire turned and ran over to Trevor leaving her in the middle of the street.

“Trev. Baby. You okay?” Claire placed a shaky hand on Trevor’s forehead. It was on fire and his body was shaking.

“Claire, it’s- it’s happening.” Trevor said through shaky breaths. His whole body was starting to seize, contracting every muscle and then relaxing. Claire grabbed his backpack off the ground and pulled the water out holding the canister to his lips.

“Here. Drink.” Trevor’s eyes were rolling back into his head and he wasn’t responding. “Trevor! I need you to drink.” Claire commanded trying to hide the fear in her voice. She didn’t wait for him to respond because she didn’t know if he could. She grabbed the base of his jaw and opened it pouring the water in. Trevor choked and spluttered and finally opened his eyes again.

“Willow, you okay?” Claire called over her back.

No answer.

“Willow!” Claire spun around and just saw the child standing there petrified starring on at the scene unfolding before her.

“It’s okay baby. Daddy is just not feeling well. Make sure nothing is coming okay?”

Willow starred at her mother for a few moments before nodding and Claire turned back to Trevor.

“Claire...you gotta...you gotta put me down.” Trevor coughed and more blood came out of his mouth.

Claire was holding his face in her hands rubbing them up and down mopping up the pooling sweat at the base of his neck.

“No.” She choked out, “You’re gonna be fine.”

“We knew this was going to happen.”

“No. No. No.” Claire stuttered. Trevor’s hand still clutched his side and when he pulled his hand away blood was dripping from it. Claire grabbed the garments and began pulling them up until she saw bare skin. The large chunk of skin missing from the bite had turned a ghastly grey and black color with dark blood oozing from the wound. The bandages they had used to cover it were on the ground and soaked completely with a dark green liquid. It couldn’t have been blood.

Claire lowered the clothing all the color leaving her face as a strange calm over took her. She moved in closer to Trevor resting her body against his.

“Willow! Come here!” Claire called and the child shuffled over to them and sat next to Claire leaning into her body.

“Claire...what...what are you doing?” Trevor managed to choke out.

“I’m not leaving you.” Claire took Emilia from Willow’s arms and propped her up on her legs.

“It isn’t safe. Go.” Trevor coughed and any ounce of resistance he had left his body as his head fell back against the tree.

Claire took his hand and held it firmly with his limp fingers barely responding.

“I love you.” She whispered.

Trevor’s dark brown eyes fluttered and finally closed. Claire held onto his hand tightly and wrapped her other arm around Willow, Emilia rested her head against Claire’s chest and they sat there until light flutters of snow began to fall from the sky.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is my first time uploading anything on here so please be nice and give me any good constructive criticism :) Also how do people get those cool backgrounds that aren't the standard ones?