Angel From My Nightmare

Epilogue/one shot

1 year later.
Jack and Alex lived together in an apartment on the other side of town, Jack still at his job at the Rockwell but now he and Alex were musicians. Jack played guitar and Alex sang, they went around local pubs and clubs singing songs Alex wrote and casually making their life together.
With Alex being dead for three years and now technally an Angel he didn’t remember some things about being human, like he didn’t remember what eating cheese burgers was like, or the taste of alcohol on his tongue as he drunkenly danced at a club with Jack at 3am, it was all new to him. It was amazing for Jack to teach him things and watch him see the world again like he was three years old. It was all great between the two until Alex realised there was some less good things about being human... ish.
“Jackkk, I feel weird”
Alex had just come in from his shift at a local coffee shop, it wasn’t they really needed the money but Alex enjoyed talking to people and well he loved coffee.
“What’s wrong ‘Lex?”
Jack lead him back the couch and sat down beside him.
“I feel weird, my head hurts, my throats all scratchy and I’m so tired”
Jack brushed the blonde strands from his loves forehead (About three months ago Alex had discovered hair dye and was currently blonde) and pressed his hand to Alex’s forehead.
“Yeah you’re warm”
“I am?” Alex questioned.
“It means you’re sick Alex”
“Oh...”
“It’s probably just a cold, it means you’ll feel rotten for a couple of days and then you’ll be better again”
“What’s the point in that?” he asked.
“There isn’t really a point to it, sometimes we get sick and then we get better. There’s nothing more to it really”
“Oh...”
“Why don’t you go put your pjs on and I’ll make you something to eat?” Jack suggested.
“I’m not really hungry, I didn’t eat any lunch”
“Aw baby” Jack kissed his loves warm forehead before he shuffled off to get changed. Jack went to the kitchen as he’d decided to make him some grilled cheese, hopefully the older boy would feel a bit better with some food in him. When Alex came back into the living room he was wearing his long flannel pjs were the arms went over his hands. He was also coughing, long and hard into his hands.
“That did not feel good” he crocked.
“Aw poor baby”
Jack had heard him hacking up his lungs and come to give him a hug, he knew how crappy it was being ill, matter about being ill for the first time (in his memory at least.)
“I made some grilled cheese, do you want some?”
“Sure... Ow... Could I have some tea? My throat hurts”
“Sure thing sweets” Jack kissed his cheek and disappeared back to the small apartment kitchen. Alex shuffled back to the couch, grabbing a blanket to wrap around his shoulders as he felt cold and shivery.
“Here are you, I’m sorry you don’t feel well ‘Lex” Jack said, passing him the food and tea.
“I’m okay”
Jack put on a movie and they both cuddled on the couch, Alex sipping his tea and taking odd bits of his food. Jack made himself some pasta and it would have been a typical night in for them expect Alex kept coughing, he was sounding worse and worse.
“This sucks” Alex moaned.
“I know baby, I know. I’ll go and get some medicine for you tomorrow”
“Thanks Jacky”
As they laid there Alex’s eyes were getting heavy and Jack couldn’t help noticing him fighting to stay awake.
“Go to bed ‘Lex”
“Only if you come with me” Alex smiled, the little dimples on his cheeks that Jack loved so much he couldn’t resist.
“Okay, only because you need sleep” Jack kissed Alex’s nose and helped the older up off the couch. As Alex collapsed onto their bed he was coughing again, his chest aching as he tried to get air into his lungs again. When the fit finally stopped he fell back on the pillows, his breathing wheezing and light. Man this sucked, how did people do this?
“Awh baby, I had a look to see if we had any medicine and I found this”
“What it is?” Alex’s voice cracked, all the couching was taking its toll on his voice.
“Vics, it should help with the cough so you can sleep”
“Good”
“So take your top off”
“What? As much as I want you I feel like crap”
“Baby...” Jack laughed. “Vics rub, it goes on your chest”
“Oh...”
Jack sat on the bed beside his boyfriend, helping him take the shirt over his head and lean back against the pillows. Messy blonde hair, sleepy eyes, no shirt and half a smile, Jack couldn’t lie Alex looked pretty damn adorable.
“This might tingle a bit” Jack said, getting a little Vics on his fingers and rubbing it over his loves chest.
“That stuff smells weird”
“I know, but it helps, promise”
“It better”
When Jack was finished Alex was nearly asleep, his eyes only fluttering open every few moments.
“Sleep ‘Lex, I’ll be back” he kissed Alex’s warm forehead and left to the bathroom to wash the strange smelling Vics from his hands. By the time Jack was ready for bed Alex was snoring and Jack couldn’t help chuckling slightly. It might have been a bit mean to be finding enjoyed in Alex being ill but it was a new side of Alex, his vulnerable one and Jack was enjoying it.

When Jack woke up he reached over to Alex’s side of the bed only to find it empty. His eyes shot open but Alex wasn’t there, his side of the bed empty and cold. Jack could hear a noise coming from their bathroom and it sounded a lot like someone throwing up...
“Alex...” Jack pushed the door open and found Alex on the bathroom floor, his head was resting on the rim of the toilet, his face was pale and his wings were out. Alex had a better grip on his wings than he did, they normally only make an appearance when his sad or over excited and it seemed when he was ill as well.
“Baby... How you doing?”
Jack sank down on the floor beside him.
“Awful...” he crocked.
“Aw poor baby” Jack moved the sweat soaked hair from his boyfriends forehead and placed his hand to his forehead.
“Oh you’re burning...”
“I’m freezing” Alex moaned, his body shaking with chills.
“You’ve got a fever bud, how long have you been here?” Jack asked.
“Awhile”
“You should have woken me”
Alex just groaned and crawled into Jack’s lap, resting his head on Jack’s chest and wrapping his wings around both of them.
“Are you good to go back to bed?”
Alex nodded against his chest, coughing weakly into his fist. Jack carried him back to bed, Alex’s eyes already closing on the short walk back to their room.
“I need to go out and get you some medicine, I think you’ve got the flu ‘Lex. Will you be alright on your own?”
“Yeah, I just want to sleep”
“Okay baby”
Jack kissed his overly hot forehead and pulled the blanket up around his shoulders.
“Sleep well”
Alex woke himself some time later as he coughed, forcing him to sit up as he coughed long and hard into his hands. His chest ached, his head hurt, his throat hurt, his nose was stuffed and he couldn’t think straight. The whole being sick thing really sucked but the worse thing was he was alone, Jack had gone out just over an hour ago and wasn’t back, Alex wanted to cuddle with him and make him feel better. He buried himself in the mountain of blankets and closed his eyes, hoping that when he opened them again Jack would be home.

Jack stood in the local pharmacy staring at all the medicines completely unsure of what to get. As Alex had never been sick before Jack had no idea what he liked or what would even work on him, it wasn’t like he was a normal person. In the end Jack just ended up with a bit of everything.
“Got enough there?” the casher laughed as Jack placed an armful of things in front of her.
“I hope so”
“Is the girlfriend sick?” she asked as she started to ring through the vast about of medicine.
“Boyfriend... He’s never been sick before, I didn’t really know what to get”
“What never?”
“Not since I’ve known him”
“Oh” the casher laughed. “That’ll be $35.70 please”
“Thanks” Jack passed her his bank card and picked up the large bag of medicine, on the counter was the normal boxes of sweets and lollypops, Jack knew how much Alex loved anything sweet and he could probably do with something to cheer him up.
“And a couple of this please” he said, picking up a handful of lollypops.
“Sure”
When he was done he’d been gone nearly an hour and half, he hoped Alex had been alright on his own.

“Alex, ‘Lex, I’m home!” he called as he entered their apartment. He was met by silence; well at least Alex wasn’t throwing up again. He found him in their bedroom exactly where he’d left him, tightly wrapped in blankets and fast asleep.
“Alex, wake up baby I’ve got some things to make you feel better”
“Huh?” Alex mumbled, blinking his eyes open. His normal bright eyes glassed with fever and skin pale Jack felt a pang in his chest seeing him so unwell.
“Can you sit up for me? I’ve got drugs”
Alex slowly pulled himself into a sitting position; his wings were out again, the beautiful white feathers taking up the space around him and waking him feel somewhat warmer.
“I didn’t really know what to get so I kind of got a bit of everything, first open your mouth”
Alex did what he was told and let Jack put the thermometer under his tongue, waiting for it to beep before he began coughing again.
“102...” Jack said as he rubbed Alex back until the fit stopped.
“Let’s start with something to bring that fever down, I warn you this isn’t going to taste good but it’ll help”
Alex nodded, not trusting his voice enough to speak without coughing again. Jack passed him a small cup filled with orange liquid, with one sickening gulp Alex swallowed it like a shot.
“Yuck, that was horrible” Alex coughed out.
Jack had to bite back a laugh as Alex stuck his tongue out to try and get the taste out his mouth.
“It’s okay, only a couple more”
After 4 more sickening shoots as Alex had named them and a pain killer for his head Alex was curled up in bed once again. Expect this time Jack was curled up right beside him, Alex’s head resting on the younger’s chest as a movie played mindlessly in the background.
“Thanks for taking of me” Alex mumbled.
“No worries ‘Lex, hey if it weren’t for me you’d still be dead and wouldn’t be sick at all”
“So you’re saying this is your fault?”
“Hmm...”
Alex chuckled and cuddled a little closer, his wings were wrapped around them, keeping them warm.
“Oh! I nearly forgot I brought you a little treat”
“You did?”
Jack smiled seeing Alex’s eyes light up at the mention of a surprise, he loved making Alex happy that little smile was all he needed in life. He reached over the side of the bed and pulled the discarded shopping bag off the floor.
“I brought you... Lollypops!”
“You did?”
Jack pulled out a handful of strawberry flavoured lollypops and gave one to Alex.
“I love you so much!” Alex exclaimed as he unwrapped the candy and put it in his mouth.
“I love you too ‘Lex, I’m sorry you’re sick and I wanted to cheer you up a bit”
“Thanks Jack, I know you feel bad and yeah being sick really sucks and I feel gross but I love you and that’s more important than anything else” Alex grinned, the lollypop sticking out between his teeth and Jack couldn’t help grinning back. The Angel and the human, it was a strange home life but Jack and Alex it was perfect. They’d both fought so hard to be together they weren’t going to let anything stand in their way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise! I wasn't planning on doing an epilogue but I got this idea and thought why not? So this is a little one shot about the life of the Angel and the human, I hope you enjoyed it :)