Angel From My Nightmare

Wreck Out Of Me

Waking up Jack swore it had just been a bad dream, the thoughts of ghosts and death swirling around in his head and turning out as some weird dream. Until he walked into the kitchen and the word ‘Death’ was carved into the wall where she would have been standing the night before. This time Jack did drop the glass he was holding, smashing on the floor at his feet. He didn’t know what he was spouse to do, Death herself had warned him not to go back to Alex but how could he not? His entire world was being turned upside down and he couldn’t just pretend it wasn’t happening.
After a lightening quick shower, and rummaging around his apartment for his old bible his mother had given him years ago he grabbed his keys and headed for the cemetery. Jack didn’t notice his phone was flashing telling me he had 5 missed calls.

“Alex” he yelled, running through past the graves.
“Alex”
The caramel hair coloured haired boy appeared from behind a headstone, a wide smile on his face at the sight of Jack.
“You came back”
“Something happened... She was there” Jack panted, putting his hand on Alex’s shoulder to catch his breath.
“Jacky, what’s wrong?”
Alex’s eyebrows knitted in confusion, it was the first time Alex had called Jack anything else, if Jack wasn’t so panicked he would have smiled.
“Death”
Alex’s eyes widened in shock, he pushed Jack off his shoulder to get a prober look at him, as if to check he was still there.
“I’m alive Alex, it’s okay” He took Alex’s hand and placed it over his heart, it was beating fast but it was indeed still beating; Alex let out a sigh of relief.
“She came to warn me”
“Warn you of what?”
“Not to come back to you”
“What?! Jack! What are you doing here? Leave, get of here!” Alex yelled, trying to push Jack away.
“No I can’t”
“Jack, if fucking death tells you to do or not to do something, you fucking do it”
“But Alex listen, she said I had to stop because you’re hers and I can’t change that. Why would she say that?”
As Jack’s words sank in Alex stopped trying to push Jack away.
“Are you saying?...”
“I think it might, might be possible to bring you back”
“Bring me back? What are you saying?”
“I think it might be possible, to bring you back to life”
Alex just stood dumbfound, his mouth hanging open in pure shock.
“That’s... That’s not possible” he managed.
“Wanna bet?” Jack asked, pulling the bible out his pocket and holding it in front of Alex.

Sitting on the ground in front of Alex’s grave, Jack tried not to look at it as the words engraved on the stone sent shivers up his spine. Together they read through stories of the bible, trying to find anything about bringing people back to life. Death had mention quite a few times, always bringing war and horror, Jack said that didn’t seem like the woman he had met and Alex just laughed.
“Look here’s one” Jack pointed out, a story of man who had died and Jesus had brought him back to life, saying just by believing in him he was worthy of life.
“Jack, that was a miracle by Jesus, you can’t do that” Alex sighed in frustration.
“I’m not saying I can, I’m saying it’s possible”
“If you actually believe in the bible”
“You can argue that later, but I kinda had Death appear in my kitchen”
“Whatever”
“Didn’t you see her?” Jack asked.
“What Death? No”
“But you’re... You know...”
“Yeah, but I didn’t see her. I don’t think she comes to every kid who turns over his car”
Alex wasn’t looking at Jack, staring off into the distance. It was the only time Alex had spoken about his death, it was probably a bit of touchy subject being dead and all. Jack wrapped his arm around Alex’s shoulder and let the boy rest against him.
“Do you think you could do it?... Bring me back to life?” Alex asked.
“I hope so” Jack pressed a small kiss to the top of Alex’s head as he leant against his chest. The tender moment was broken as they heard someone calling out, it took Jack a minute to realise he knew that voice.
“JACK” May yelled.
“Shit, that’s my sister”
“Your sister? What’s she doing here?”
“Looking for me I guess, shit, shit, shit. I’m going to have to...”
Before he could finish his sentence May appeared around the corner, seeing Jack and coming over.
“Fuck, what am I going to do?” Jack hissed.
“Doesn’t matter, she can’t see me anyway” Alex muttered.
“Still doesn’t explain why I’m sitting at a grave of someone I don’t know”
Alex tried to hide his hurt look. Jack got up hoping May hadn’t seen as she came marching over.
“Jack, I’ve been phoning and phoning I was worried! What are you doing here?” she asked.
“I’m... I’m....” Jack was stumped, what reason is there?
“You were here reading to your mum” Alex said, nudging the bible still in Jack’s hand. Jack never thought he’d be grateful for a voice that only he could hear, but he smiled back at Alex.
“I was reading to mum” he said, holding up the bible as prove.
“Why?” May questioned.
“I hadn’t been to see for a while, I thought she might like it” Jack said, parroting what Alex had said seconds earlier.
“Oh okay... Why didn’t you answer your phone?”
“I hmm...” Patting his pockets he realised in his rush to get out of the apartment he must have forgotten it.
“Forget it”
“I got this call from your boss saying he hadn’t seen you in two days and did I know if you were okay. Do you know how scared I was? I thought anything could have happened to you. What have you been doing?” She demanded.
“Sick, stomach and stuff. Haven’t moved from the bathroom much”
Jack tried to kick Alex for giving him such an embarrassing answer, but May kept giving me a weird look.
“Let’s just get you out of here”
She took Jack’s hand and began leading him away, Jack looked back over his shoulder to where to him Alex was still sitting at the bottom of his grave, Alex gave him a small smile and wave and Jack disappeared around the corner and out of sight.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like how this chapter came out, hope you do too :)