Robbers

Chapter Four

This was risky.

Vic wanted to try a bigger bank, convinced we could pull it off. I wanted to put all my faith in him, to believe just as much as he did that we could do it, but there was a nagging feeling in the back of my head that kept me from doing it.

I hid my reluctance from him.

We had made our way to Colorado, to a medium sized town tucked away into the mountains. It was snowing and the heat inside the Buick hadn’t worked for as long as we’d had the car so I was wrapped in a blanket in the passenger seat, teeth chattering as my body shivered, trying to warm itself up. We had planned to stay out of the states that were cold during the winter, not having any winter clothes, but it got hard when we had multiple warrants out for our arrest all over the states that stayed warm.

I had never seen snow before, living in southern California my whole life, and although I was freezing my ass off, I couldn’t deny there was a little boy in me who had spent countless Christmases wishing that it would snow so I could go outside and build a snowman or have a snowball fight.
We arrived at a motel and like always, Vic went inside to get us a room.

This one was nicer than the ones we usually stayed at. The bed was softer and the sheets were clean but all I could focus on was that the heat was going full blast and as soon as I stepped inside I literally felt like a block of ice thawing out.

Vic put our things down and stepped close to me after closing the door, slipping into my arms. I wrapped them around him so the blanket was around us both and we stayed like that for a moment before he pulled away. Looking down at me, he smiled and I melted.

“Get dressed in something nice and be ready to go in half an hour, I’ll be right back.” He kissed my forehead and I nodded, wondering where he was going and why I had to get dressed up nice. He left before I had the chance to question it, so I went to the bag with my clothes in it and tried to decide what among my collection of tee shirts and jeans constituted as “nice”. I found a red flannel that I didn’t know I owned at the bottom of my bag and paired it with the least torn up pair of black jeans I owned, hoping it was nice enough.

When Vic returned, he was holding a rather large shopping bag and I looked up at him, a little confused because the only time we ever went shopping was when we needed something desperately, and I couldn’t think of anything we needed that badly.

He sat the bag on the bed and started pulling out the contents, a big, white fluffy coat, a tan beanie with a big puff ball on the end, and a pair of matching mittens. He brings the coat over to me, ripping a tag off and wrapping it around me.

“Put your arms in Kellin.” He stared down at me with amusement when I didn’t move.

“I don’t need it Vic, where’d you get the money for this?” Kellin knew things like this weren’t cheap and Vic probably spent all the money they had left on it.

“Don’t worry about it, just put it on I’m not going to let you get frost bite.” This time he was a little more stern and reluctantly, I put the coat on and he zipped it up for me before walking back to the bed and grabbing the hat and mittens. He put the hat on my head, making sure my ears were covered before grabbing one of my hands. He pressed a kiss to my cold knuckles before slipping one of the mittens on it, and then did the same for the other. Once I was dressed for the cold weather, he pulled out another coat, hat, and set of gloves from the bag and put it on himself before grabbing a few more things and shoving them in his pocket.

We walked around the quickly darkening streets hand in hand, the snow crunching gently under our beat up Converse and soon we were standing in front of a glass window, yellow light from inside the restaurant spilling out onto the sidewalk.

“What are we doing here?” I asked Vic. Usually our meals consisted of whatever didn’t look rotten from the nearest corner shop. I honestly couldn’t remember the last time I ate at a restaurant.

“I just felt like treating you to something nice.” Like the coat wasn’t nice enough, I thought to myself. But in that moment I understood.

He wasn’t positive we were going to pull off the job tomorrow.