Robbers

Chapter Five

We were running; running as fast as we could but it still wasn’t fast enough.
I could hear the sound of multiple pairs of boots thumping on the sidewalk behind us, chasing us. We never should have done this.

Vic had dropped everything he was carrying back at the bank, and his hand was gripping mine tightly, making sure we didn’t get separated. His legs were longer than mine, stronger than mine and he ran fast, a little too fast for me. I was stumbling along behind him, trying to catch my breath and keep up.
Vic dragged me into an alley, ducking behind a dumpster and we watched as the group of police officers chasing us ran right passed us. I wanted to stay there. I felt like I could barely breathe and like my legs were going to give out on me any minute but Vic pulled me up from behind the dumpster and we made our way back onto the sidewalk, ditching the masks.

A few streets down we ducked into another alley. At the end was a chain link fence, screaming at us that this was a dead end but Vic kept going. He started climbing the fence and once he was down on the other side, I followed.

I had reached the top before I noticed anything was wrong. I was paying too much attention to my footing, looking down at Vic on the other side with his arms open, waiting to catch me, and I didn’t hear the footsteps behind me.

I felt it though, when the bullet pierced through my body. I let out an ear piercing scream as Vic scaled the fence once more, a look of panic written out across his gorgeous face. He grabbed me, helping me over the other side of the fence as the police gained on us once more and once we were back on the ground I was in his arms and he was running. I don’t know how he managed it with the extra weight, but he ran faster than he had before.

I don’t know if it was because we were faster, or because I was starting to lose consciousness, but I could no longer hear the sounds of heavy soled boots pounding on the ground behind us and before I knew it, we were slowing down.

Vic laid me down on the ground like he laid me down on the bed the other night and I could no longer see the cloud covered sky, a dilapidated roof high above taking its place.
I looked back at Vic and smiled, although I know it was broken.

He was putting pressure on my abdomen, trying to stop he blood from leaving my body but it was a futile effort. My white coat was already stained with all the blood I had already lost.

“You’re going to be okay.” He spoke softly, his voice shaking as he brought a blood covered hand up to caress my cheek. A comforting gesture.

I shook my head.

“Go Vic, you can still save yourself.” I spoke through the tears streaming down my face. The pain was just too much. I knew I was going to lose him one way or another.

He smiled down at me, tears running down his face as well and pushed a bit of hair out of my face.

“How silly you are, Kellin Quinn, to think that I would ever leave you.”

I smiled up at him and he kissed me, more tears flowing down my face as I heard the sounds of heavy soled boots pounding on the concrete behind Vic.

Blood started filling my mouth as he was torn away from me. I could see through tear filled eyes how hard he was trying to get back to me, and I could hear the muffled sounds of his voice screaming something but before I knew it my vision had gone black and my the only thing I could hear was the solitary sound of ringing in my ears.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long to update Comcast was having issues so I didn't have internet for a while.