Status: A random story inspired by someone I know

The Libra Fell in Love With the Virgo

Heartbreak and silver rings

"JJ, please can we just go?" I asked softly. She shook her head, I could tell she was battling with her thoughts. We'd been best friends since longer than I could remember and usually she would do anything I asked without hesitation. Unless her overwhelming need to protect someone was crushing her. I stood up a little wobbly at first, Cali grabbed my arm to steady me. "I'm okay." I whispered, gently pushing her back. I walked over to JJ and sat in the empty seat next to her.

"Look at your body, that's not okay. If Cali hasn't stopped you? We'd be putting another twin in the ground." Anger flared in my eyes as I clutched the arm rests. Cali rested her hands on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so cold. Just please, let's at least talk."

"Let's talk, there's something that needs to be said." Maria practically whispered.

"Why'd you drug me? Again." I asked locking eyes with Maria. She wrung her hands thinking carefully. She looked at Alex with sadness. I looked at my watch and realized it was one in the morning.

"I was mad." JJ laughed at her answer before Maria glared at her. "I was jealous okay?" I raised an eyebrow expectantly. "You're with her." Maria pointed to Cali, I could feel Cali stiffen.

"So that gives you the right to fucking drug her?!" Cali tried to step passed me but both JJ and I reached out to stop her.

"Let me finish," Maria paused. "Ashley died and everyone was so focused on that. I felt lost and unimportant. You went off the deep end and fast. Alex was there to comfort me. Between losing Ashley and losing you. Well I felt lost." Angry was building in my stomach. "You became addicted to your pain and I became addicted to his attention." Alex stood up and faced the other way rubbing the back of his neck. "Nothing changed for Alex and I. We still party, drugs, drink and live the same as we always have. I saw you for the first time in years. Clean arms. Clear eyes and a beautiful girl to laugh and dance with. You moved on and I'm stuck. I got jealous and wanted to remind you of what it feels like not to have control." Maria stopped talking and everyone looked to JJ, except Cali who was looking at me.

"We all lost something that night Maria." Alex said with tears in his eyes. "Jasey lost the most. She lost her sister, her other half, her best friend, her protecter and her twin. Have you heard of the twin theory? I researched it while she was in the hospital. When a twin loses the other twin, it's believed that half of them dies also. It's like a balance beam. One twin balances the other. Did you ever noticed that Jase was always depressed and Ash was always happy? How in whatever area Ashley lacked in, Jasey excelled in. And vise versa. Everyone lost a friend and a hero that night. I lost the love of my life, my best friend. I was getting ready to leave for rehab to get clean for Ashley. We were going to get married after graduation and go to college. We had a life planned. You used our pain and turned us against each other when we needed to be together most. Our group fell apart and you helped cause that." He threw his chair, causing me to flinch. "You're so fucking selfish. Then you drug Jasey? Because you're jealous?" I hadn't seen Alex this angry since the funeral. He stopped and looked at me, "wait Jasey. You said again? This has happened before?" He looked like he was about to break down.

"Remember the suicide scandal back home? When Jasey was at the bridge and nearly jumped?" JJ asked smoothly. "She was drugged and walked out there because she was hallucinating that Ashley was there. She wasn't trying to kill herself." Alex walked to Maria and leaned in close.

"You're pathetic. Jasey could have died." He walked to me, Cali stepped between us. I grabbed her hand forcing her to step back. He got on both knees, crying. "I'm so sorry." Heartbreak written on his face. "I had no idea. Jasey I promised your sister that night on the bridge when we were walking down there that I'd take care of you if anything ever happened to her. I failed her. I failed you." I pulled him to his feet and stood up. He threw his arms around me. "I wasn't flirting with that girl, her dad owns a jewlery store and I was asking if the rings I bought for you and your sister had come in yet." I pulled away in shock. He reached down and pulled a chain with two rings out of his shift. "I wanted to take care of you but everytime I saw you. I saw her. But looking at you now? You're so much stronger than she was. You were her hero Jasey." He handed me the silver rings. "Together they say 'a sister is a forever friend.' And on the inside they say your names. Keep them."

"No Alex, keep Ashley's." I put my ring on and placed her's back on the chain and slipped it over his head. "JJ. I've heard enough." I turned to Cali just as her face twisted in anger. Before I could stop her she was hitting Maria in the face. JJ pulled her off and told Alex to calm her down.

"It's your call what we do from here Jasey." JJ said holding Maria by the elbow. I shook my head and glanced around.

"Alex, what do you want to do?" I asked. He asked what I meant. "Family sticks together, I know Ashley would make the call right now. But since she's not here to be family leader, that falls on you." He looked at me confused. "Welcome home brother." I said limping passed him, pulling Cali into me for a soft kiss. Tears falling down my cheeks.

"Ashley wasn't a fan of violence." Maria relaxed at his statement. He placed his hand over the silver ring on his chest. "But I've seen her beat the shit out of people for messing with her sister." JJ smiled slyly. "It's all on you JJ." She started to pull Maria away from the group. We could hear the impact of her fists connect seven or so times before she came back wiping blood off her hands. Alex pulled the keys from his pocket and threw them at Maria. "Leave, you better be out of my apartment before I get home tomorrow. I have some catching up to do with my family." Maria scrambled to the car.

"To family." Jared said, the rest of the group raised their drinks in agreement.

"Thank you," Alex said to JJ. "If it wasn't for your need to protect Jasey I wouldn't have a family. New faces. A new family. But a family nonetheless." JJ huged Alex and we sat down to talk. "And you," Alex placed his hand on Cali's forearm. "Thank you, for taking care of her. I'm assuming you haven't known her long. But she's going to change your life for the better. That I can promise." Cali kissed my cheek and smiled.

"She already has." Laughter and the sound of comfort filled the air. Heartbreak and silver rings reunited a family I didn't know we had lost.
♠ ♠ ♠
Quick update. I decided to take a happier, less violent approach to this situation.