Status: A random story inspired by someone I know

The Libra Fell in Love With the Virgo

Bottles and shotguns

We stepped through the last line of trees before hitting a clearing. Laughter and music grew louder as we approached the glowing of a fire. "Cali, you made it!" A girl cried before attacking Cali with a huge embrace. "And you brought a friend!" She teased when she saw our hands intertwined.

"Megan this is Jasey." She giggled and pulled me forward as to show me off.

"The same Jasey that Ann has been talking about nonstop all day?" She shrieked. "Ann! Where are you?!" She shouted. "Come on! Follow me!" She grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the crowd. I looked back at Cali for reassurance. She just smiled and held my hand tighter, following close behind. Megan stopped pulling me when we got closer to the fire. "Ann!" I recognize my friend from behind. She was taller than most the people around us and she turned around excitedly. When she saw me she jumped up and down.

"Jasey! Babe you made it!" She jumped on me awkwardly, causing me to let go of Cali's hand to catch her. "Oh my god! Guys my ohana is here!" She called out over her shoulder as I let her down. "Do you want a beer? I love your outfit! Where have you been? I missed you!" I just laughed.

"Slow down. How much have you had to drink?" She shrugged with a sly smile. "Get me two beers." She skipped off and I turned to Cali trying not to laugh at her expression. "That's Ann. I told you there's never a dull moment with her."

"Wow." She laughed beautifully. "You weren't kidding." I pulled her into me by her waist. She smiled in the light of the fire.

"I told you." I mumbled before kissing her.

"Whoa!" Ann and Megan said at the same time. I pulled away from Cali quickly, blushing.

"Here's your beer Romeo." Ann said extending both beers to me. I opened one and handed it to Cali. Before taking my own and taking a big slug. "Who is this?" Ann said nudging me with her elbow.

"Ann this is Cali. I met her at the coffee shop today. She's been showing me around. Cali this is my dear friend Ann." I blushed again.

"Is that all she's shown you?" Ann teased.

"Ann shut up!" My blush deepened.

"Awe that's cute." Cali joked. "I haven't seen you all embarrassed and shy!" I shook my head.

"She only gets like this when she's nervous around a pretty girl." Ann paused and did a once over of Cali, taking inventory. "And you're def a gorgeous girl. Good job Jase!" I reached out and pushed her. Launching a full fledge wrestling match. "Okay okay! You win!" Ann shouted between giggles. "I tap!" I let her go and helped her to her feet. "Do a shot with me?" She begged. I looked at Cali for help but she laughed and pushed me toward Ann. Ann wrapped her arm around my elbow and pulled me toward the fire. I looked back at Cali and she waved me on. Megan and her fell into slow step behind us. Straining to hear what they were saying I listened carefully.

"She's quiet." Megan said.

"Yeah a little bit but I think she'll open up more soon. She's charming. Really deep. She's also super funny. Just give her time." Cali offered.

"Is she new here?" Megan questioned. Cali shook her head an explained that I was just on a roadtrip passing through. "What? So this is just a fling?" Megan asked as the stopped about 15 feet away. Ann was finding the vodka bottle as I kept my back to Cali and Megan.

"I don't know." Cali stated. "I just met her."

"She doesn't look at you like you just met. She looks at you like she'd take a bullet for you." Megan said calmly.

"I know." Cali paused. "It makes me want to know everything about her." My focus was interrupted when Ann started hollering and hooting.

"Let's do this!" She yelled before taking a huge swig off the bottle.

"Whoa speed racer! Slow down!" I chuckled as she coughed.

"Here." She shoved the bottle into my chest as a couple guys stumbled over. I looked at the bottle hesitant. "Come on."
She pleaded.

"I don't know Ann." I quietly objected.

"But you promised!" She sounded heart broken. One of the guys whispered something to a taller guy standing next to him.

"You're Jasey right?" His deep voice asked. I nodded confidently. "We've been hearing about you all day long. From what I've been told? You seem to be the life of the party where you come from." I looked around quickly, realizing everyone including Cali and Megan had formed a circle around Ann and I. I shot Ann a scolding look and she giggled. "Don't be a downer bro."

"Bro?" My competitiveness flared. I took the casual name as a challenge. He nodded slowly, the challenge flaring in his brown eyes. I shook my head reminding myself that I didn't have to do this. "No thanks man."

"I heard you're always up for a challenge." His voice almost a dare. "I'm Jake by the way."

"Is that so Jake?"

"Yeah. I challenge you."

"What's the challenge?"

"I bet you can't keep up." A laugh escaped deep from his chest.

"That's a bet. Not a challenge." I rebutted quickly.

"She's witty. I like it." He said to Ann. Looking back at me he raised his voice so the group could all hear. "Shot for shot. I challenge you. First round against Ann. If you win? You pick a challenge to go against me and the boys in. Winner decides what we do tomorrow." I looked around again. Locking eyes with Cali. She raised an eyebrow expectantly.

"You're on." I said extending my hand to signify the deal. He shook my hand and told me to drink up. "Ann, you owe me." I warned before taking a gulp and handing her the bottle. "Jack get me another beer." I demanded as Ann and I passed the bottle five or six more times. Ann finally threw her hands up and said she was done. Arms wrapped around my waist and Cali placed her chin on my shoulder. Her cold hands on my bare stomach.

"Way to go champ." Her voice sent chills down my spin. "I have a little game of my own I want to play." I waited quietly for her to explain. "There's a lot more on the table for you tonight." Her voice seductive. I pressed into her body. "Don't lose. Or you won't get my prize."

"Well, what's it gonna be?" Jake asked with a tinge of excitement in his voice.

"How much beer you got?" I asked. Ann shook her head.

"No way!" Ann shrieked.

"Plenty." Jake said casually.

"She's gonna kill you." Ann giggled.

"Bring it over here." Jake and two other guys walked off and returned with three boxes. "Can Haley join?" I told him the more the better. "So what are we doing?"

"The shotgun game." I smiled before turning to kiss Cali hard.

"What are the rules?" Jake asked.

"We'll play the casual version. Each person pops a hole in the bottom of their can. And on the count of three you crack the tab and drink your beer as fast as you can. If you finish the whole thing you go to the next round. If not you're out." He handed out the first round. Everyone pulled out keys or knives to cut the hole.

"Here." Jake offered his knife. I shook my head and tore open the can with my teeth. "Shit." He mumbled. Ann counter down. Everyone made it through the first three rounds. But both of Jack's boys couldn't finish the fourth. Haley made it to the sixth and tapped out. My vision was getting a little blurry but I kept myself steady. The seventh round was a struggle. My stomach was full and I had to piss like no other. "I may have underestimated you." Jack admitted.

"Can't keep up?" I asked amused but focusing on not slurring my words. It had been a long time since I drank and even on a great party night this was getting close to my limit. He laughed and cut his hole. Ann counted down. I choked down my beer and looked over at Jack just as he dropped his half drank beer.

"You win." He said shaking my hand.

"Thank god because I'm about to piss my fucking pants!" I stumbled sideways into someone's arms. "Sorry." I mumbled before realizing it was Cali.

"Let's take you to go pee." She whispered before helping me away from everyone who was hooting and hollering about my accomplishment. I staggered into the trees to do my business. And came back feeling a little more composed but still shit housed. "Is this who you are trying not to be?" She asked seriously. I sat down at the edge of the clearing. Watching everyone interact with each other.

"Yeah."

"Why?" She seemed puzzled.

"Because I spent 6 years high and drunk. And I can barely remember anything. What I do remember is all tragic and fucked up." She fell silent.

"I'm still not afraid of you." She said pulling me towards her. I laid my head in her lap. Looking up at her while she put my hat on her head so she could run her hands through my hair. "How long are you going to be in town?"

"A week." I thought about it for a moment. "But if I could spend all my time with you. I'd stay forever."

"A lot can happen in a week Jasey." She said lost in thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of in a groove tonight.