Rory's Journal [Do Not Open]

July 7th, 2011

Van and I landed in the States yesterday up in New York. We're going to spend the day walking around New York City and then heading up to Niagara Falls tonight.

I'm the most nervous about this date we've planned because...tonight, I'm planning on proposing to her...
I'm getting that same feeling I got when we first talked..I feel like a chocolate frog is in my throat all day long. The whole time we strolled down the streets to Niagara Falls, I kept shoving my hand in my pocket to see if the ring was still there.

Now, this wasn't your typical three diamond engagement ring...no...this was Jared's Neil Lane Bridal Set 2 1/6 Diamonds 14K White Gold engagement ring... costing over ten thousand pounds of which was ALL my money. (Except for the twelve thousand left for the plane tickets here and back and some extra for food and hotels.)

My speech I wrote on our third date is the one I chose to use..I feel like its the cheesiest most lame engagement speech in the world--but at least I have her favorite American singer that I hired to come and sing her a love song for me...just in case the speech makes her not love me anymore.

Finally, at the end of the day, we arrived at Niagara Falls and observed its beauty. And it truly was magnificent. This was the time...I only have ONE chance to do this...No retakes. This was it.

Reaching for the box, I took Van's hand and bent to one knee. Caressing her hand with my thumb, I kissed it and looked up at her wondering eyes.

I felt an enormous lump in my throat and a rampage of butterflies fluttering violently in my stomach. Taking a deep breath, I finally spoke,

"Van...Savannah Sarah Peters...I remember the day I first saw you. You were wearing knee high red socks, a short checkered skirt and a white t-shirt with a necktie.. Very trendy." She giggled at that. "And I looked at you and thought, 'This girl has not only style...but personality.'...Now, I won't kid you, I did also think you were a bit mad when you and Luke got together, but you can't blame me for that. He's a psychopath." She made a face meaning 'well...yeah'...
"And then when we met...You booped my nose and kissed it. You saved me from Luke and my death. The saving and booping hasn't stopped, I assure you..." I could see her eyes filling up with tears as she smiled, happily, down at me. "....But not only did you save my life that night...You will save my life everyday......" My throat clogged up and my eyes trickled down a tear. I cleared my throat and continued, "And now...Look at you. You've grown to a beautiful young woman. I want to know, if you, Savannah..the love of my life, will be MY beautiful woman...My angel..." I opened the box and presented her the ring. "Will you be my broken drum?"
She slapped a hand over her mouth and cried tears that fell like Niagara behind her. Sweet Savannah..She couldn't even speak. All she did was nod and let out a pathetic squeak that sounded like, "Yeah.."
Standing up, I slipped the ring on her and gave her a small kiss and knew that life could only get better from here.