Rory's Journal [Do Not Open]

April 19th, 2009, 8:25 A.M....I think...

"Good morning!" The American doctor finally said, when he realized I was fully functional. I peered around the room to see if perhaps Bradly came to visit or my mother, but no one was there.
I attempted to respond but the breathing mask over my nose and mouth made that a bit difficult, "Here, let me get that for you." The man reached down and gently removed the mask. I shook my head in amazement,
"How am I alive?" I asked as he walked to the end of the room to grab his clipboard.
"Now, I'll need your full name, age and address." He said, walking back and clicking his pen.
'Wait..' I thought, 'Why didn't mum just tell him when she called the ambulance?'.
"Just ask my mum all the stuff you need to know..." I replied, not wanting to try and think of when I was born to decipher my age again.
"You're mom?" He said, strongly American. He chuckled and shook his head, "Kid, I'm sorry...but it says here you've been an orphan your whole life and were found in an empty abandoned house with a bullet wound in your shoulder." Now this lead ME to chuckle at HIM.
"UH, no!" I said, in a cocky way, "I was adopted when I was a baby and I was in MY house when I was shot in the CHEST..not shoulder." I reassured him, smiling at his belief.
"Look, if that was true, then why are you admitted into this hospital as an anonymous person by someone who was taking photographs in the house that day?" He debunked and handed me the pen and clipboard. "Now, I take it you're well enough to sign this and add in your information. OH!" He smiled and bent down, reaching his hand out to me. "How rude of, me I forgot to introduce MYSELF! Arthur...You can call me Dr. Art." I shook his hand and he was off.
This was odd...This was...terrifying...
Did my own parents abandon me?
Did they just leave me to die?
I looked around the hospital room wondering how my life would be from now on...if I had to live in an orphanage...if I had to live on my own... What was I to do with no home, money or parents?
Worst of all..I had no clue where my brother was..
My little brother, snatched from underneath me and dragged away to the unknown, like my father. I needed help, now...I couldn't live on my own this way.
In a moment of heart wrenching panic, I snatched the hospital phone by the bed and dialed my mum's number....the number came up as invalid. 'Fine..' I thought, 'I'll call Erik.' I dialed HIS number...same thing...Thinking of any possible way to escape my newfound lonely life, I dialed my grandmother's number...same thing as well. I slammed the phone down and sighed...
No home..
No Parents...
NOTHING..
NO ONE...
I...was...alone...
An enormous world outside full of evil and poverty...and I, a fifteen year old Scottish kid, was alone..
I settled down into my hospital bed, acting as if maybe the orphanage might not have beds..might as well enjoy it now...and listened to the Tele playing the news.
"The long reported apparent accident has finally been settled. The young 15 year old boy who was supposedly found dead in an abandoned house was reported to have awoken this morning. Now to the weather--" The reporter smiled as she talked, looking relieved. Good thing THAT boy was not dead---I thought, catching myself dead in my stupidity--Wait, that was about me!....
All I could think about was how this ordeal must've been SO bad it made it to the tele..With curiosity killing me, I yanked down my hospital shirt to see the wound on my chest but---lo and behold-- not a scratch on me...No scar, no stitches..nothing.
Thinking about what Dr. Art said, I decided to check my shoulder instead...but still, absolutely no sign of anything...just a normal looking shoulder. Entirely confused, I buzzed the nurse call to ask a few questions.
"Yes, --" The nurse said, upon arriving in the room. (She was about to add my last name, but since no one knew it, she just stopped and cleared her throat, awkwardly.)
"I'd like to know why I have no scars on me..." I said, smiling at her and attempting to be cute (Just in case they were hiding something from me and wouldn't tell me unless under persuasion.)
"Oh, there shouldn't be. You were found in the building with blood on your shirt but no wounds. You should look completely healthy!" She replied, smiling and nodding back at me.
"But, thats not what Dr. Art said! He said I--" I began again, attempting to debunk her.
"Dr. Art?" She interrupted. "Who is that?" She looked genuinely confused at the name.
"Uuh, the doctor who tended to me?" I replied, sarcastically. She shook her head and laughed.
"You must've been dreaming! There is no Dr. Art here." At that she skipped out of the room. OKAY OKAY OKAY--
WHAT!?
No family
No house
No brother
No money
and no Dr. Art?
What kind of Mad-House are they running here? Hopefully it isn't a mad-house....
This time, I was fully frustrated and ready to know EXACTLY what was going on. Jumping up out of bed,(and snatching up the filled out paper on the clipboard) I rushed to the door and swung it open. I scurried along the tiled white floors, my feet pitter pattering all the way to the front desk.
"I DEMAND TO KNOW WHERE MY PARENTS ARE!" I said, slamming my fist on the desk. The lady at the desk glared at me, unfazed by my commands.
"Sorry, kid. There's no record of them. Do you have your forums?" She asked, holding out her hand for me to give them to her. I nodded,
"As a matter of fact, I do!' I said, feeling as if I was the only positive person in the place. I handed her my forum and crossed my arms, stubbornly.
"Rory Scott Finley..." She said, typing it in to the record book. "Nope!" She said, spitting a little and glaring at me again. "No such thing as the 'Finley' family with a 'Rory' in it...Only Ezra and Uma Finley, Terrance and Terry Finley, Regis and Jessie Finley, Harold--" I put my small hand up to shut her up.
"OKAY!..." I said..."I get it...I'm alone." Built up with emotions, I lost all control and plopped down on the floor right where I stood and began to sob. Again, the realization had hit me! Alone! Forever...
My sobbing gave me an enormous amount of attention from the entire hospital. Everyone knew I was the kid in the abandoned house from Tele and they pitied me for being an orphan.
Now, YOU of all people must know I love attention...but, Journal..not PITYING..
Pitying is the LAST thing I've ever wanted!
Literally!
I'd like to ONLY be pitied if I am dying! And, at this moment, I was in fact still alive. (And I shouldn't be..)
Finally, breaking the waves of sigh and 'awws' and 'poor kid's, a familiar voice called out my name.
"RORY!" It called, sounding sincere. I peered up, my eyes glittering with tears. My vision was already blurred (because they apparently hadn't found my glasses by me or anything) but now, with the help of my tears, I saw nothing. The doting stopped suddenly and the person speaking to me bent down in front of me and lifted me back to my feet.
"Its okay! Lets go home.." She said. I stood still confused.
Now, journal. You're probably thinking:
This could be his mum, Rumblebottom, someone else whose a female mentioned in this diary--journal..sorry.
BUT, you'd be wrong.
In fact, I've never mentioned her in here.
I wish I could go back and write about her, but I haven't.
Jimmy's mother had come to take me home..
I was no longer alone.