Status: This is a fanfiction of the TV series Merlin. I hope it can hold a candle to the actual series. Enjoy!

Woven Magic

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Chapter 3

So I had found Emrys. But how was I supposed to tell him that he was my fate. I didn’t even know if he would even believe me. No… I couldn’t risk it. Not yet. So what if he had discovered that I had magic. If he was Emrys and the King knew that he had been using magic the entire time, I didn’t have too much to fear. But it wasn’t something I wanted spread around. At least I could be more of myself around my new master now.

The King’s eyes peeled open and narrowed on Merlin. “Merlin… Mystra…” he said, staring at us awkwardly, hugging his deep red comforter close to his chest.

“Good morning Sire. Rise and shine!” Merlin greeted the king by turning toward the window behind him and yanking the curtains apart, allowing the sun to shine brightly through causing Arthur to roll over and bury his face in a pillow as me moaned.

“Meeeeerliiiin…” the King complained.

“Don’t despair Arthur. It’s but another day in paradise.” Merlin said cheerfully which only egged Arthur on. He leaned down and grabbed one of his black boots that sat on the floor next to his bed and hurled it at Merlin’s head. Merlin turned around just in time to evade it, stepping slightly over to the right and ducking as it zipped past his ear and hit the top of the curtains behind him.

“Well now Arthur, tell me how you really feel.” Merlin mouthed off to him. Arthur rolled back over and propped himself up on his elbows, staring daggers at Merlin.

“You’re a poor excuse for a servant and I have half a mind to replace you with Mystra.” Arthur told him and shuffled my feet, hoping he didn’t truthfully mean that. I was a terrible choice for a servant.

“Awwwrr, I like you too Sire!” Merlin cooed at Arthur, causing him to roll his eyes and sit up fully, throwing his covers off of him and sitting on the edge of the bed. “Come now my lord, it’s time to eat your breakfast.” Merlin said, dropping the fake cooing. He grabbed Arthur’s plate and handed it to him.

“Great! I’m starved.” Arthur commented, taking a rather large bite out of his eggs. He chewed quickly and stopped suddenly, his cheeks still full of food. “This is cold.” He said, casting his eyes on Merlin.

“Well it’s from the kitchen Arthur, what else do you want me to do? Should I make you a new plate in here myself?” Merlin asked him.

“Mmm… I’ve got it, why don’t you just use magic?” Arthur questioned him.

“Right! You’re a funny one there my lord.” Merlin answered and chuckled, then he paused for a moment once he actually looked at Arthur’s expression. “Oh… oh, you were serious?” Merlin questioned, his eyes widening.

“Well it isn’t like you can be hanged for it if I approve. Of course if you burn it, we may have to rethink that.” Arthur answered, shoving his plate out in front of Merlin. Merlin didn’t move at first, he only glanced at me.

“He’s serious?” he asked me and I pursed my lips, trying to stifle a laugh.

“It appears so, Master.” I answered him honestly. Arthur perked up and he paused for a second before he made his comment.

“Master?” He questioned, turning an eye on me. “Merlin?!” he chuckled a few times. “You call Merlin Master?”

“I, my lord. If I am his apprentice, he is my master.” I stated in truth, explaining the technicality. Arthur just threw his head back and let out a roar of laughter. Merlin snatched the plate of food and held it up at eye level. I observed him as he chanted something short of the old religion and his dazzling blue eyes lit up with a fierce golden glow and the food began to steam as he handed it back to Arthur. He then grabbed me by the wrist and hastily led me to the door of the King’s chambers. As he opened it and guided me out, again pressing his hand softly on the small of my back, I heard Arthur call out to him.

“Ah! Merlin you twit, it’s scalding!” Arthur shouted.

“Always so needy Arthur, really? First it’s too cold, now it’s too hot. Let it cool, it will take but a second.” Merlin said, turning around half way to respond to the King.

“Can’t you control the temperature?” he called to him and Merlin began to shut the chamber doors. He peaked his head back through with his final response.

“I’m a warlock Arthur, not a God.” Merlin said as he closed the door and we heard Arthur shouting at Merlin from behind it.

“You know, just for that you can muck out the horses stables you half assed mule!” Came his voice from the other side of the door.

“Better to be a half assed one than a full one!” Merlin just went there. I laughed so hard, I had to clutch my stomach to keep from falling over. Merlin grabbed me by the hand and ran off with me in tow. I glanced back over my shoulder to catch the two female guards share a look and then turn an eye back on us scurrying down the hall like children. The Dame named Jacosa smirked at me, almost as if she knew something. I wondered what on earth she was thinking. Once we were far enough away from the King’s chambers we began to talk a little more.

“So is he always such a royal pain in the morning?” I asked him, light heartedly.

“Who, Arthur? Naaah, that was nothing. You should see him when he’s cranky.” He answered, smiling slightly at me.

“That was, quite the show you put on back there Merlin.” I told him.

“If you thought that was brave, you should have been here before he knew I had magic.” Merlin laughed. Suddenly I was struck by a very powerful idea that may just help me unfold the purpose of our destiny together. I had magic, this much was true. But what I lacked that he had gained through his experience was just that. Merlin had experience with performing magic and casting spells, making potions and so on and so forth. I had played around with my magic little by little, but I knew if I were to fully unlock my potential that had been promised to me by Kilgharrah, I was going to need a little guidance.

“You know Merlin…I know this might seem a little forward, but I was hoping I might interest you in a proposition?” I stopped in the middle of the corridor, causing Merlin to halt as well.

“What’s that my lady?” he questioned, raising an eyebrow at me in curiosity.

“I am your apprentice. You are a servant, I am now a servant. You teach me the ways of servitude. But you are also a sorcerer… and I….and well I was just wondering if maybe you could… teach me how to wield my powers?” I finally spat out the question and his expression twisted in confusion.

“You want to be a sorcerer’s apprentice?” he asked me, taking a step closer.

“More than anything in the world Merlin.” I answered him, staring into his eyes hoping he would accept my suggestion.

“Well… it may be challenging. Learning the art of magic is not to be taken lightly Mysrta. It is fraught with dangers and risks…” Merlin began his reply. My eyes fell to the stone flooring of the corridor. I was bracing myself for bad news that had yet to come. Merlin paused for a moment and reached out to touch my cheek, lifting my face up by the chin so that my gaze matched his once again. “but… if you have the will to learn, I will not fail you.” He spoke so smoothly, staring into the depths of my eyes, creating a tender moment between the two of us. “Meet me by the stables near the practice field tomorrow. We’ll start then.” He said, brushing a strand of dark hair out of my face.

I threw my arms around his neck, hugging him close. He wrapped his long arms around my waist and returned a warm hug right back. It felt like I had known this man my entire life, but I had just met him that morning. Without thinking about it, or even being conscious of doing it, I whispered a secret to him that I had wanted to keep hidden at least a little longer.

“Thank you, Emrys…” I murmured. His arms fell limp at his sides and he was silent. I pulled away from him and looked at his blank expression.

“Did you just call me… Emrys?” Merlin asked me genuinely. I didn’t know how to respond, nor did I know what to do at this point in time. So instead of confirming that I had, I made up an excuse to run off.

“Oh gosh! Malle, I must wake her for her duties down at the tavern!” I exclaimed, walking away quickly and bounding the corner to a new corridor that I had no idea where it led to. I heard Merlin’s voice speak to me as if he were right next to me once again.

“This isn’t over Mystra.” Were the last words exchanged until I was reunited with Malle once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
High hopes for this story. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Comment, subscribe, recommend, tell your friends please!

WC:1618