Storm Warning

One.

“Why did I ever let him back into my life?” I asked, tears pouring down the side of my face. “I am such an idiot.”
“He was your best friend, Aaliyah, thats why.” My best friend Sam said to me.
“You had no idea this was going to happen” My other best friend Brittany said.

“I should never have started to him in September. I could have gone the entire season just saying Hi once and while at the rink.” I said.
“We all know what wouldn’t have happened.” said Sam.
“You were having fun.” said Brittany.
“Not so fun now.” I said.

Flashback to September, I just started my internship with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I was in the assistant to their Social Media director. It was my second time with them, I was so glad to be back and around some familiar faces again. I was taking Public Relations from Penn State.

I kept in touch with a few of the players over the summer but one I cut all ties with. Sidney Crosby, he went home to Nova Scotia and I went home to PEI. Surprising, never running into each other.

When I first came to the team on a volunteer position to help build my resume and because someday I wanted to work for a NHL team, we became fast friends because we were both from the East Coast of Canada.

It was pretty cool to be friends with someone like Sidney Crosby but it was nice to know someone who was from my part of the country.

It was all great until we got drunk and hooked up and then he told me about his girlfriend at the time. I never felt so horrible, thankfully the guys who knew, kept their mouth shut.

For months I never though of him or even cared to speak to him. He returned the favour by not making any effort either.

That was all until September rolled around and I would be around the team even more. We had to be professional about it all. I was nice to him, but never made a big effort to be his friend or talk to him.

Up until one night, I decided it would be a good idea to message him. I felt it was time to just put the past behind us and just move on from all this. He was one of the biggest stars on the team and in the entire league, I was going to have to be around him quite a bit.

Hey Sid. I just wanted to clear the air with you, the past is the past and I’m going to be around the team a lot more and just don’t want it to be awkward and all that. So if we could be civil towards each other, we don’t have to be friends if you don’t want too. Just civil.

It didn’t seem like it took long and I had my answer from him.

Hey. I’m totally fine with being friends. I am a pretty nice guy once you get to know me. You can talk to me about anything.

I smiled to myself, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all.

Thank you for understanding. I just didn’t want any tension since I will be around the arena a lot more this season. I’m looking forward to it.

We talked a little while long, about our summer adventures and what we hope happens during the season with the team. We exchanged phone numbers and started texting.

I never though anything of it. I just made a new friend and friends were something I needed while I was here. I was away from my family, just like he was. He knew how to deal with all this and it was something I needed. A friend to lean on when I was homesick.

As much as I love hockey, I was also very passionate about photography and the social media director knew. He decided to let me do a few games, it make things a little easier in the office, if they needed photos right away because I was right there or if there was an event, I was already there.

I exchange a few with Sidney, and he was really nice about it. It was almost like we were becoming best friends. He would talk to me about everything and I felt the same. I still never though of anything more of it.

We should hangout again.
Hangout with Sidney Crosby? Every girls dream.
You’re funny AJ.
I guess I could make time for you.


Depending on the day, I either had a full day of classes or a half a day followed by internship hours & if it was a game day or an event, then my time was spent there. We picked a night, we both actually had off. I didn’t have to study or have extra internship projects and he was free from a game, practice or event.

He came over to my place, and we just watched a movie. Nothing major, just a night that we could just relax and be lazy. It was a nice feeling not have to dress up, I could just wear a Gongshow shirt and yoga pants around him and just feel comfortable. I didn’t have impress anyone. He was just my friend.