Status: Rewritten

Triumph

Questions

I place my hands on the warm red bricks, heated by the afternoon sun. I lift myself up on the ledge in one swift movement, feeling everyone’s eyes on me. I exhale nervously staring down into the deep abyss. I feel as if my heart is going into cardiac arrest, I am unable to distinguish my heart beats apart.

"Today, Isobel!” Eric taunts me, startling me slightly. I can hear the whispers behind my back, question how a Dauntless leader knows a new initiative from Erudite. I turned around, locking eyes with Eric. My chocolate brown hair flies freely around my face, a smirk on forms as I can see the curiosity sparkle in his eyes.

Then without any hesitation, my eyes still locked on Eric I step back till I feel I’m at the edge. His right eyebrow raises as I lean back with my arms stretched out, falling and allowing the black abyss to suck me up. The wind stings my skin as gravity pulls to me down fast, my scream caught in my throat, unable to unleash itself. Suddenly, my back collides harshly with some sort of material, bouncing me around like a pinball.

I endure whip leash as I am thrown around like a rag doll. I look directly up, seeing the bright light and the heads of the other initiates staring down; wondering if I have fallen to my death. Someone roughly pulls me off the net I have apparently landed on. I am faced to face with a gorgeous guy, looking a little older than myself. His charcoal black hair against his pale skin and his piercing hazel eyes, draw me in like a moth to a flame.

He motions for me to move towards him, thus clearing the way for the other jumpers. He helps me out of the net, and onto my feet. I place my hands on his shoulders, helping to steady myself on my shaky legs, ashamed I mumble softly, “Sorry.”

He lets out a small laugh, obviously use to this. He places his hand on my back he exclaims, "Welcome to Dauntless.” Blushing, I reply with a smile, “Thank you.”

He raises an eyebrow as he enquires, “Your name?” I manage to stand up straight on my own before I introduce myself, “Isobel.” I correct myself, by informing him, “But, everyone just calls me Izzy.”

Nodding his head, he turns to the others and shouts proudly, ”First jumper, Izzy.” His comment is replied with cheers and clapping from other Dauntless members; congratulating me.

Image


With the adrenaline still pumping through my veins, I wait patiently as my follow initiates jump, one by one. A smirk plays on my lips, knowing I demonstrated to Eric I am not here to play around. Christina elbows me in the side before she interrogates me, “How did he know your name? He couldn’t take his eyes off you.”

I shrug my shoulder casually, trying to play off the issue and exclaim in a monotone, “He was in Erudite in his previous life. His family knew mine.” I hope that is enough to satisfy Christina’s question, however I can see the curiosity grow. Thankfully before she can probe for any more information, everyone has finished their jump and the attractive guy introduces himself.

"I'm Four, most of the time I work in intelligence, however during your training I shall be your instructor," he exclaims, with his arms crossed over his muscular chest and his observing us all. The initiates are broken into two groups, Dauntless born and us newbie.

I cringe as Christina voices her thoughts, “Four, like the number?” Unimpressed, he replies with a straight face, “Exactly like the number.”

Tilting her head to the side, she continues to poke the bull as she teases, “What happened, one through three were taken?” I nibble on my lip anxiously, hoping she will stop before while she is a head. There are a few snickers from the group, following her remark.

“Whats your name?” Four questions, staring at her intently. “Christina,” she informs her with her head held high. Putting an end to it, Four steps towards Christina, getting her personal space and snarls, "If I wanted to deal with the smart-mouth from Candor, then I would have joined their faction."

I gulp as I imagine being her position, I have to admit that Four is a very intimidating. However he technique works, causing Christina to it shut her mouth. Looking out the corner of her eye to me, she whispers to me, "What a jerk.”

Image


We follow behind Four as he leads us away from Dauntless entrance. I take in my new home that is large underground cavern with uneven rock walls that rise several stories high, it makes me feel cold. The narrow paths and steps are carved from rock and connect each place. The roof is made of glass panes and above the panes of glass is a glass building that lets light into the Pit. I look intently at the the blue lanterns dangling at long intervals, they are situated above all the stone paths. I note there are no railings for these narrow passages.

We are greeted by Dauntless inside the pit, in the dinner arena, they stand - yelling, applauding and stomping their feet. I wouldn’t except anything less from Dauntless and I can’t fight my smile from growing. We find some empty seats, Christina and Tris find a seat next to Four whilst i seat opposite them. Will happily sits next to me and winks at me, spreading blush among my cheeks.

The doors to the cafeteria open, this silences the rowdy room. I look up to see Eric entering the room. He scans the room, looking at all the faces until he stops; looking in our direction. He arrogantly makes his way to our table. I nibble on bottom lip, not knowing where to look or what to do. He takes the available seat on my left and proceeds to ignore me and start a conversation with Four. “You alright?” Will whispers to me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I open my mouth to reply, however Eric snarls in my other ear, "What are you doing here?”

I hesitantly look up to Eric, there is merely millimetres between us. His scent filing my nose and his breath tickling my skin, giving me goose bumps. I take in his appearance, liking what I see. The new hair do, the black clothing long with the tattoos and piercings only increase my attraction to him.

"Well?" he snarls, annoyed I am just staring at him. I can feel Four's gaze on us, along with the other initiates at this table; including Christina, Tris and Will. Avoiding eye contact I look at his lips, remembering the feeling of them on mime once upon of time before I answer softly, "Erudite wasn't for me, I believe Dauntless is."

Raising an eyebrow, I can see curiosity swirling in his eyes, he asks, "That the only reason?” This time, I dare to look him in the eyes to give the false impression of on confidence, "Among others I guess.”

Not happy with my answer, Eric snaps, "Pit, 5 minutes. Be there." With that said, he stands up abruptly, obviously unimpressed with me answers. "You okay Isobel?” Will asks me for a second time in the last 20 minutes. I smile at him and reply with a nudge to the side, “You bet! We better eat these burgers before they get cold.” Hoping he will take the bait and drop it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next one already to rumble.
Love being able rewrite this, changing bits here and there.
Please enjoy x Feel free to comment :-)