Status: Updates will be far and few between depending on how busy I am.

The Next Generation and the Followers of Darkness

A Fantastic Start

The view of the castle would have been beautiful if it hadn't been for the rain. Water lapping at their feet, the first years walked along the shore a few paces to where a small fleet of boats was waiting. Many of them had water in them from the rain and the raging lake. Ignoring this fact, Hagrid told them to sit four to a boat.

Melody, Albus, Rose, Aubree, and Pierson looked at each other. One of them would have to go in another boat. There was no fair way to choose unless someone volunteered. A tug on Melody's sleeve made her mind for her.

"You four go together!" she yelled to make herself heard over the gale. "I'm going with Scorpius!"

Albus and Rose looked uneasy at this decision. They glanced at the boy standing beside Meldoy. His pale hair was plastered to his forehead by the rain, but his grey eyes brightened slightly as Melody agreed to ride over with him.

"We'll meet up on the other side!" she promised. "Now, go! Hagrid's already in his own boat!"

The giant of a man had a whole boat to his own, and he sat waiting as the first years scrambled for seats. Melody watched as Albus, Rose, Aubree, and Pierson got into the boat closest to Hagrid, then walked off with Scorpius to an empty one. As they stepped in, the first years realized how miserable to ride over was going to be.

So much water was in the boats that as they sat down, their feet were completely submerged. Robes heavy and hair soaked, Melody and Scorpius sat in silence. Two girls joined their boat a moment later.

"Forward!" Hagrid bellowed, but he was hardly heard over the howling of the wind. Nevertheless, the little fleet boats began to creep across the lake, magic the only thing keeping them afloat.

~~~~~

It took a while, but, eventually, Hagrid and the first years, all drenched from lake and rain water, got to the other side and made their way up to the front doors of the castle. A man was standing in the doorway with his arms crossed. He looked extremely relieved at the sight of them. Flinging the doors wide, he ushered all of them inside.

The entrance hall was magnificent. A great marble staircase on one side, another pair of doors on the other, even the whispers of the man and Hagrid echoed.

"We've been expecting you for nearly twenty minutes," said the man. "What happened?"

"I'm sorry, Professor Longbottom," Hagrid muttered, wringing out his huge, moleskin coat. "The lake was a bit choppy."

Albus snickered at Melody's side. The five friends had reunited after the ride over, Scorpius staying close to Melody despite the dark looks the others were giving him.

"All right," Professor Longbottom whispered, sounding exasperated. "Go and join the others in the Great Hall, Hagrid. Tell Minerva we'll be there as soon as we can. I've got to give these ones the speech."

As Hagrid strode away toward the Great Hall, Professor Longbottom led the first years to a room off the entrance hall. He smiled at them after they were all inside and he had closed the door. Albus and Rose waved discreetly at him. Professor Longbottom's eyes lit up a bit.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," he said. "My name is Professor Longbottom, and I am the Herbology professor. In a few moments, the Start-of-Term Banquet will begin, but first, you will be Sorted and join your House. Here at Hogwarts, your House will be like your family. Classes will be with members of the House, you will sleep in your House dormitory, and spend any free time in the House common rooms. There are four Houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Your triumphs will earn you House points, while rule-breaking will cause you to lose points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points will win the House Cup, which is a great honor. I hope you all will help your Houses throughout your years at Hogwarts. I suggest you make yourselves presentable, we'll be joining the rest of the school soon. I will be back."

Unaware of what he was doing, Professor Longbottom straightened his cloak, then left the room. Everyone began to chat, despite the obvious nervousness that was filling the air.

"Why are you being so kind to me?" Scorpius asked Melody suddenly.

"What d'you mean?" she whispered.

"Don't you know who I am?"

"Yes. Scorpius Malfoy, son of Mr. Draco Malfoy."

"Then you know what he did." Scorpius looked at his shoes, as if he expected her to turn away at any moment. She now understood why he was getting unsure looks from everyone else and having difficulty making friends. They all judged him for what his father had done.

"Yes, but you didn't do that." Melody smiled at him. "Everyone makes mistakes, Scorpius. And some people will always be remembered for their bad deeds. But you didn't do what your father did. Yes, people will judge you for that because he's your father. But not everyone."

Scorpius grinned back at her.

No one had tried to dry their hair or robes, since they knew it was hopeless; all of the first years were soaked to the bone from the lake and the rain. Professor Longbottom came back, sighed, and said, "We're ready for you."

He led them from the room and straight into the Great Hall. The first years tipped their heads back to look up and around, gaping at the hall.

It seemed that the ceiling was bewitched to look like the sky outside, as dark thunder clouds were rolling across the ceiling, lightning flashed, as rain fell, but none of this reached the students. There were four long tables where the rest of the students sat. At the top of the hall was yet another table where the staff sat.

Melody looked around for Amelia, Jeremy, and Oliver. Her sister caught her eye first. Amelia was sitting in the middle of the table on Melody's right, smiling at her younger sister. The elder girl had her head held high as she surveyed the new first years. Melody rolled her eyes. Just like always, Amelia had been unreliable.

Professor Longbottom lined the first years up in front of the staff table, facing the rest of the school. Every eye was on them. Melody diverted her eyes and stared down at her plimsolls. They were soaked through after sitting in the boats for nearly twenty minutes. She shivered.

Scorpius nudged her slightly. Looking up, Melody saw that Professor Longbottom had brought out a stool and a roll of parchment. He placed a ratty old hat on the stool. Instead of watching the first years, now every eye was one the hat. Melody knew what this hat was suddenly. She remembered Jeremy telling her about when she was five years old.

"They sort you by putting a hat on your head," he had explained. "It yells out what House you're in. But the best part is when it sings. . . ."

And, just as her eldest brother had told her, a rip near the brim opened, and the hat began to sing a song that rarely changed.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

"You can keep your bowlers black,
And your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

"There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

"You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindor's apart;

"You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

"Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.

"So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Everyone in the hall cheered. The first years clapped nervously, now trying to think which of the traits the Hat had mentioned characterized them. The Hat bowed to each of the four tables, then sat quite still, as if waiting for something. Professor Longbottom unrolled the parchment.

The first two students to be called to try on the Sorting Hat — a boy by the name of "Anderson, Lewis" and a girl, "Boyle, Tallulah" — became a Slytherin and a Hufflepuff. Everyone at the Slytherin table was incredibly loud, yelling as Anderson went to sit with them. The Hufflepuffs, on the other hand, clapped politely for Boyle. Melody watched curiously, but was pulled away from the House tables as Aubree was called to try on the Sorting Hat.

"Bremner, Aubree."

She stepped forward slowly, took the hat in her hands, and pulled it onto her head. It covered her eyes, and a split second it yelled —

"RAVENCLAW!"

The table two from the left exploded with applause and cheers. Amelia had gotten up to shake Aubree's hand and Melody watched for a moment before she was distracted by something else.

Just past where Amelia was sitting, at the end of the table on the far left, Oliver was grinning at her. He winked as he caught her eye. James, Hayden, Richard, and Luke were with him. They smiled and waved at her. Her heart soared. That was where she belonged. Her choice was made, but where would the Sorting Hat place her?

"Dawson, Isabella" was the first to become a Gryffindor, and the boys cheered along with everyone else, the noise rivaling that made by the Slytherins, who glared from two tables to the right. The Gryffindors grinned smugly back. Melody smiled a little. She wanted to be a part of that rivalry.

In hardly any time at all, another friend was being called up.

"Hastings, Pierson."

The Sorting Hat was on his head for a while before finally shouting out, "HUFFLEPUFF!" Jeremy gave Pierson a friendly pat on the back as he sat down beside the Hufflepuff prefect.

After four or five more names were called, it was finally Scorpius's turn.

"Malfoy, Scorpius."

He glanced sideways at Melody, who gave him an encouraging smile. Walking up, he dragged his feet, as if he was dreading this moment. He placed the Sorting Hat on his head, it dropped down to cover his eyes, and it stayed that way. Melody crossed her fingers, hoping for Scorpius.

Nearly five minutes had gone by when the Hat yelled —

"SLYTHERIN!"

At this, there was an outburst of muttering throughout the hall. Scorpius scampered off to the Slytherin table with his head down. The table cheered as usual, proud of their newest addition. Melody's heart sank for her friend. A shiver ran through her as Eadric Almer came to sit beside Scorpius. Although the Slytherins would not judge him, everyone else would claim that Scorpius was following in his father's footsteps. Now nothing would make them think twice about who he was. Scorpius looked back up at Melody and smiled sadly.

"McIntosh, Gianna" became a Gryffindor. She was followed by a Ravenclaw, two Slytherins, another Gryffindor, and another Ravenclaw. Albus was next.

"Potter, Albus."

The Sorting Hat seemed to be taking its time again, as it sat on Albus's head, the boy blind to the impatient tapping of the other first years' feet.

Finally, it declared, "GRYFFINDOR!"

Once again, the Gryffindors hooted and hollered as Albus walked quickly down to wear James was sitting. James ruffled his younger brother's hair, yelling more loudly than anyone else. Albus couldn't stop smiling.

And Melody kept thinking to herself, that's where I belong.

She was awoken from her stupor at the sound of her name. It hardly registered at first.

"Smith, Melody."

She was no longer afraid of what was in store for her. Whatever happened, she would have a friend in her House. Melody walked over to the stool, sat down, and placed the hat on her head. Just before it dropped down over her eyes, she smirked at the sight of Amelia, Jeremy, and Oliver peering at her over the heads of the other students.

Nothing happened. There was no House name yelled, and, in a panic, Melody suddenly thought that she didn't fit into any of the four Houses. But then a voice whispered in her ear.

"Well, well," it said, "I can see that your mind is already made up. You're a confident one. Gryffindor at heart. A bold decision . . . but are you sure? You'd do nicely in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff as well — intelligent — loyal . . . but overwhelmingly courageous. Can you choose one sibling over the others?"

"Yes . . ." she thought. "I could."

"You are brave," the voice went on. "Few would make that decision so quickly. But it's here, in your head. The bitterness toward your elder sister and brother, the ones that acted as if you didn't exist. And the love you have for your brother in Gryffindor — you would do anything for him. And you choose him? If that is your choice, I can agree. GRYFFINDOR!"

The last word was shouted aloud to the rest of the hall. Pulling the Sorting Hat off and placing it back on the stool, she nearly ran to where the Gryffindor boys were sitting, the table full of Gryffindors cheering. Edward Pendleton the prefect stood up to shake her hand, grinning at her, while Luke yelled that he had been right in predicting what House she would be Sorted into. Melody smiled, taking a seat between Oliver and a tall, blonde girl. Despite the din around her, it already felt like home.

"Weasley, Rose."

Albus and James's cousin was Sorted into Gryffindor immediately after the Hat brushed the top of her curly brown hair. She sat herself right beside Melody, the two girls smiling broadly at each other.

At the staff table, which Melody had found was referred to as the High Table, a witch dressed in dark green robes had stood up, her black-and-grey hair pulled into a tight bun. She cleared her throat, and the hall went silent instantly.

"Good evening!" she said. "I don't wish to delay the Start-of-Term Banquet any longer, but I would first like to welcome our first years to Hogwarts. Announcements will be made after we have all had our fill. Now, please — enjoy!"

The gold plates all along the tables had filled with food, the goblets and pitchers with drink. Everyone started to dig in.

There was everything: beef, chicken, pork, and lamb; potatoes, fries, peas, and carrots; soups, Yorkshire pudding, gravy, and, of all things, peppermint humbugs. Not knowing wear to start, Melody took things from the nearest platters and began to eat. It was a magnificent meal. Everything was made perfectly. Nothing could compare — except the Shepherd's Pie her mother made once in a while, Melody would think later. And not only was the food fantastic, but the conversation was far from boring.

"Victoire," Rose said, pulling on the blonde girl's sleeve. "I'd like to introduce you to my good friend, Melody Smith."

"Oh, you must be Oliver's little sister, then?" said Victoire over Rose's head. "I'm Victoire Weasley, Rose's cousin. I'm in the seventh year. Up there is my sister, Dominique, a fifth year —" she indicated to a blonde girl only couple years younger than her "— and my little brother, Louis. He's a second year." The blond boy she pointed at noticed, and he made a face at his older sister.

"We've got loads of family here at Hogwarts," Rose explained. "All of them are in Gryffindor, so you'll meet them all eventually, Melody."

Oliver tapped her on the shoulder, and she turned to face her brother, James, Albus, Hayden, Richard, and Luke.

"Now it's question time, Mel," James said with his mouth full. He continued to pile food in.

"It's Melody, not 'Mel,'" she snapped. "I'd prefer to be called by my full name.

"Whatever — not going to happen," said Luke. "So, what class are you most excited to begin?"

"Um. . . ." She thought for a moment. Unlike with the Houses, she wasn't worried about the class and hadn't until Luke had brought up this question. First years were required to take Astronomy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, and Transfiguration.

"Charms, I guess," replied Melody finally. "After learning that Levitation Charm this morning, I think it'll be interesting."

"Good choice," said Edward from the other side of the table. "Professor Flitwick is an excellent teacher. He fought in the Battle of Hogwarts alongside Professor McGonagall — and he taught Harry Potter himself!"

At the mention of their father's name, James smirked proudly and Albus blushed. It was odd to be friends with the children of someone so famous in the Wizarding world.

Suddenly, something pearly white came drifting through the nearest wall, drifting over the students heads and observing the feast below. Several of the Muggleborns gasped or screamed. The ghosts watched the students eating with disdain, looks of longing crossing their long-dead faces. Many of them floated down to sit along the tables.

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington, wearing a ruff, settled right beside James, who made a face at Melody and Rose through the ghost's partially see-through body. Sir Nicholas introduced himself promptly to the first years.

"I'm very glad to have made your acquaintances," he said after explaining who he was to Melody, Albus, and Rose, despite the fact that they had all heard of them from their older relatives. The resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower then added, "Now, who exactly are you?"

"Albus Potter."

"Rose Weasley."

"Melody Smith."

They said their names quickly, one after another. It was rather intimidating to talk to a ghost, who had been dead for so long and seen so much that he or she was wiser and more intelligent than any student. Opening one's mouth and talking for too long could result in anything from a heated debate — that the ghost was likely to win with hundreds of years of experience — to the ghost dismissing what had been said as a stupid statement.

After everyone had their fill of the main course, the food disappeared from the golden plates, only to be replaced moments later by more — deserts. Ice cream, pies, treacle tarts, and more. Everything looked delicious. Melody took a few chocolate éclairs and dug in. It was better than anything she had ever tasted.

Sir Nicholas drifted away to where the other ghosts were congregating by the door, and they all floated off through the opposite wall.

"I wonder what they're up to this year . . ." said Hayden thoughtfully.

"Almost every year, the Hogwarts ghosts do something for the school," explained Richard at the first years' puzzled expressions. "Sometimes it's a musical performance at the Christmas banquet, or a Halloween party here in the Great Hall. But it's always incredibly fun. They conspire with the teachers to book the best entertainment and get everything done. You'll really enjoy it."

Melody smiled, interested to see what would happen later in the year, but Rose seemed deep in thought.

"Why isn't Uncle Fred a ghost?" she asked, stopping the clinking of spoons and forks instantly. "I mean . . . if he died here at Hogwarts during the Second Wizarding War, then why isn't he a ghost?"

For a moment, no one spoke. Some brooded on this question, others held their tongues, not looking Rose in the eye, as though no one wanted to be the one to explain the answer.

"All right," Hayden said finally. "One only becomes a ghost if he or she is not brave enough to accept death. Contrary to popular belief, you don't become a ghost if you have unfinished business." He looked about to make sure no ghosts were lingering, but still continued in a lowered voice. "Those who are ghosts are that way because they weren't brave enough to accept death and move on."

They ate their deserts in silence after this unpleasant conversation, no one daring to talk.

Melody was stuffed after the chocolate éclairs, a scoop of ice cream, and a bit of rice pudding. The deserts, too, disappeared soon after, and Professor McGonagall got up once again to speak.

For the first time since entering the Great Hall, Melody got a good look at the High Table. On the far right, Hagrid, his grey-flecked hair and beard now dry, was looking exhausted, desperately attempting to keep his eyes open. The giant man, who was Keeper of the Keys and Grounds as well as Care of Magical Creatures professor, contrasted greatly with the teacher Edward had pointed out as Professor Flitwick, who sat on the Headmistress's right. He was so tiny that it was obvious he was sitting on a chair specifically for him. On Professor McGonagall's other side was Professor Longbottom. As Melody's eyes creeped down the table, a teacher wrapped tightly in shawls and with thick spectacles caught her attention. Strings of beads were around her neck, and huge earrings hung from her ear lobes. She suddenly looked straight at Melody and smiled. In profile, the woman looked odd — when faced Melody, her eyes magnified by the glasses, the professor looked strangely insect-like. Despite the friendly grin back, Melody was slightly scared of being in this teacher's class.

"Don't worry, she's nice in person, no matter what she looks like," Victoire Weasley whispered. "That's Professor Trelawney. She teaches Divination. You'll only have her if you choose to take that in your third year."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat, and the hall fell silent. It was so quiet, you could have heard a pin drop. After glaring about the hall for a moment, the Headmistress smiled at the students.

"Good evening! Before we all head off to bed, I have a few announcements to make. As always, I would like to remind students that the Forest is out-of-bounds. This restriction is for your own safety. Next, Mr. Argus Filch has decided to retire after years of dedication to Hogwarts, and we now have a new caretaker, Mr. Gregory Witt."

She waved her hand in the direction of a man sitting on the far left of the table. His mustache was greying and his hair was all but gone, wisps of white on his head. Witt smiled at the students, giving a little salute. A small applause followed his introduction.

"Good riddance!" muttered James to Oliver. "Filch was getting up there in years anyway."

"Quidditch tryouts will take place three weeks after the start of term. Please see the House captains or Madam Hooch for more information. Lastly, I would like to introduce our Head Boy and Girl this year. Mr. Quentin Matthews from Slytherin —" she was cut off for a moment by loud cheers from Matthews's table "— and Ms. Amelia Smith from Ravenclaw."

Just like the Slytherins, the Ravenclaws applauded and cheered as Amelia and Matthews stood. The other Houses clapped quietly.

Melody could see the tension between Amelia and the Head Boy, though. They nodded politely to each other, but their eyes were cold. This would definitely cause a bit of turmoil if the Head Boy and Girl didn't get along.

Professor McGonagall seemed to have noticed, too, but did not have time to worry about this. It was late.

"That is all. Good night!"

Edward stood up quickly, gathered the other Gryffindor prefects around him, and sent them out in different directions. He took charge of the first years.

"This way!" called Edward over the heads of other students making their way to the dormitories. "Excuse me! First years, coming through!"

He led them into the entrance hall. They passed the Slytherin first years, many of whom glared at the Gryffindors. But Scorpius looked back at Melody as the Slytherins started down a passage that most likely led to the dungeons and the Gryffindors made their way up the marble staircase. Melody gave him a little wave before he disappeared from sight into the passage.

Edward and the first years trudged up staircases, down hallways, and through hidden passages behind sliding panels and hanging tapestries, until all of them came to a halt in front of the portrait of a plump woman in a pink dress.

"Password?" she said.

"Cor leonis," replied Edward. The portrait swung forward to reveal a hole in the wall.

After about a minute or two, the first year Gryffindors had assembled in the center of a plush, circular room full of comfy-looking armchairs. A roaring fire was in the heath below the mantel. The storm was still raging outside and rain pounded on the windows of Gryffindor Tower.

"All right," Edward said. "Girls, your dormitory is up the staircase to the right — boys, your dormitory is up the staircase to the left."

Everyone was so exhausted that they dragged their feet all the way up the staircases. The other first year girls — Rose, Isabella Dawson, Lissa Groves, and Gianna McIntosh — were silent as they opened the door of their dormitory to find that all their things had been brought up. There were five four-poster beds in the room with thick, red velvet curtains. They all changed quickly into their pajamas and night gowns, they drew the curtains of beds, and pulled the sheets up to their chins. Someone said good night, and a volley of replies followed.

Melody looked back on her long day and smiled a little. She was trying to remember everything that had happened, but her eye lids grew heavy and she fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Most stories are slow at the beginning! I promise to speed up the tempo soon. Once again, please COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE! I would love to get some feedback. Love you guys!