Houdini Blues

Three

"Have a good time baby," my mother spoke as I grabbed my bags from the car. I nodded with a smile and closed the door behind me. My mind was racing. It was Friday night and I was here at Raven's house, I didn't even know if we had all that much in common. I sighed and walked up to the door and knocked. My anxiety was taking over and I bit my lip, raising a hand to pull a piece of hair from my face. Soon a little boy opened the door; a look of disappointment crossed his face. "Urgh," He sighed, "Raven it's your friend!"

"I told you you little shit," she smiled coming up behind him ruffling his hair. "Hey," she spoke. Her mid-length hair was pulled to the side in a braid and her face covered in dark makeup, more than she was wearing at school. I smiled back at her and followed her into her house.

Her room was dark and covered in Hello Batty memorabilia. Black clothes were spread on the floor leaving no sight of the original wood.

"Sorry it's a bit messy, I was getting ready."

I looked up at her, "for…?" I thought we were just here to study and right our paper. I had no idea it meant that I needed a full face of makeup and new clothes. I tugged on the end of my oversized hoodie as she giggled.

"I was thinking we could go out. I mean we have weeks to write that paper. Wasting one date shouldn't hurt us," she put an arm around me, "it's a good chance to get to know each other. Plus we could find you a boyfriend." I scoffed at that comment; I was in no way looking for love or a shoulder to cry on. "And where do you plan on finding someone that fits my needs?"

She squealed and clapped, knowing I was reluctantly agreeing. "There's this club my boyfriends…friend," the word came through her lips like it stung, "owns. It's really cool, there's a bunch of men for you there. It's only thirty minutes away. Alexander's driving us so don't worry." I bit my lip and looked at her, "okay I guess but can we go by my house so I can get ready at least?" She smiled and nodded as she pulled me by my arm from my door.

When we arrived to my house there was no one home. I sighed in relief, knowing that if my mother had been home I would have had to come up with a lie about why I was even back.

"Wow, your house is so nice," Raven spoke as we walked up the stairs. I nodded, "thanks." I led raven to my room, shutting the door behind me as she sat on the bed. A line of painted goat skulls above framed art pieces hung on my wall. "Did you do these," Raven asked in amazement.

"Yea, I've been really big into art for a while now. I know it seems a little vain the have my own art hanging in my room but I like them, you know?" She nodded, "Alexander's the same way. I texted him your address, he said he'd be here in about an hour or so."

I felt the blood rush to my cheeks as she mentioned his name and quickly turned around. I knew if she saw she would think I wanted her boyfriend or something. But the truth is I really didn't, there was just this strong interest in him that somehow was taking over my head. I wanted to know everything about him, but I didn't want him.

I started on my makeup first as Raven and I talked about Dullsville. She told me all about how she and Becky had been friends forever and how Becky fell in love with Matt about a year ago. I smiled; they were cute even when they weren't in the room. My eyes were neutral with long wings of black eyeliner trailing the rim. I pulled out a tube of blood red lipstick and lined my lips.

"Girl you have got to tell me what brand that is, I need it." Raven spoke up as I turned to my closet to find clothes. I soon decided on a thin Danzig tank top and tight latex leggings, if Raven got to be a babe so did I. She smiled when she saw me emerge, "Oh you look so good!" I shrugged my shoulders. "You don't think it's too much?"

She laughed at my reaction, "There are going to be girls there with their tits out. If anything you're being modest."

A car door slammed as Raven looked through my window, "He's here!"

I followed raven as she ran down the stairs to my front door and opened it before Alexander could knock. He smiled as her arms wrapped around his small but muscular frame, "Hello my love."

"Alexander this is Ashley," she spoke waving her hands towards me. He looked up and at me never breaking eye contact, "Hello Ashley, nice to meet you." My mouth dropped a little as he spoke. Nice to meet me? Did he not recognize me or something? We had met a few days ago, talked and he walked me home. It was innocent, why was he hiding it from Raven? I decided to play along to avoid any mess that could have been.

"Nice to meet you as well," I spoke. He smiled as he grabbed Raven's hand, "Are you ladies ready?" Raven and I nodded in union and followed him to the car. I gasped in air as we approached his designer car, he was obviously very wealthy.

I rode in silence as Alexander and Raven discussed the week's events with each other. I wondered the reasoning behind Alexander's behavior, I hardly knew him and he was acting like a walk in the park was sex. His girlfriend was quickly becoming one of my best friends here. I felt a pair of eyes on me and as I looked up I saw Alexander give me a glance in the rearview mirror.

"We're almost here and I want to tell you something," he spoke softly. "Raven already knows but I don't want either of you talking to random people. Don't leave alone with them and never be alone."

"Yeah, okay mom." Raven laughed at my comment as Alexander stopped the car. Raven ran ahead of me and Alexander trailed behind.

"I know you're confused right now," he spoke softly so Raven wouldn't hear. "I think its best that Raven does not know of our meeting." I spun on my heel, "And why is that? We didn't do anything but talk. I hardly know you."

He sighed and kicked the gravel, "You don't understand right now. You will one day, but please just act normal."

"Whatever," I mumbled before running to catch up with Raven.

The club's music pounded off the wall as goths of all ages pushed on each other. Men lined the bar, I was in boy heaven. Raven and Alexander had headed into the crowd as I walked alone towards the bar. A hand grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the crowd. I looked up to see a blonde boy with dark brown eyes like Alexander, a smile graced his face. "I am Claude," he spoke softly with a distinct accent, "Let's dance." I nodded as he pulled me towards the dance floor.

As we grinded on each other I felt a pair of eyes watching me. Looking up and around I spotted Alexander, standing tall as he held on to Raven's moving body. We locked eyes as we danced across the room.

I couldn't figure out what I thought of Alexander. At first he was a cute type of protective but now it was scary. He watched me as my body moved against Claude's, how would Raven feel to know her boyfriend held such interest in other women that he stared at them as her body was pressed seductively against him? I shook my head and turned to Claude, giving him an apologetic smile. He bent down and whispered in my ear making me shiver, "I hope we meet again."

I was finally free to walk towards the bar as I initially planned. A cute man with spiked white and red hair bit his lip as he pushed up off the wall, "Hey babe." His smile was huge as he walked towards me, his skin almost as pale as Alexander's. His eyes were mismatched and I figured it was contacts and an effort to be cool.

"Hello," I spoke with a flirty grin.

"I'm Jagger, I own this place." He pulled my arm towards him so I could hear him more clearly. "I saw you walk in with Alexander Sterling and his girl."

I sighed and looked up at him, "Yeah. Raven said you were a friend." Jagger's laughter pierced my ears, "Friend? Good to know we're on such good terms now." He leaned in and planted a kiss on my cheek he whispered, "I can smell your blood." I nodded, feeling myself get uncomfortable. What the fuck was he talking about? A throat cleared and Alexander stood beside us. "That's enough of that Jasper, she doesn't know of us."

Jasper's eye grew big as confusion took over my face. "Oh," he panicked, "I mean I thought…"

Alexander held up a hand as he grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him, "It's fine Jagger." Jagger rushed away into the hallway behind him before disappearing, "Wh-".

"I told you not to be alone," Alexander growled into my ear. I pulled away from him and crossed my arms, "You know, I don't even really want to be here, we were supposed to be working on a project and then Raven sprung this on me. I'm freaked out and confused." Alexander nodded before pulling me towards the door where Raven was already waiting.

"That was so fun," she screamed as we walked towards the car. Alexander suddenly looked down just as a black kitten ran up to my feet, meowing. He watched my movements closely, his mouth opened as if he was going to say something before Raven screamed, "Oh that kitty is so cute!"

I nodded as I bent down to pet it before walking away, leaving it behind. Alexander gave me a questionable look but followed.

The ride was silent and awkward. Raven fell asleep on the way; I played with my phone in the backseat as Alexander drove. Before long we were back at Raven's in Dullsville. She kissed Alexander by as we pulled into the driveway. "Thanks," I spoke as I opened the door. He nodded and looked towards Raven, watching her walk around the house to her window. I followed as Alexander sped away to his home.

Once inside Raven turned on some music, "Alexander was a little moody tonight. He's usually never like that."

"How long have you two been together?"

A smile lit up her face as she thought of him, "About two years. We plan on….uh….getting married within the next year." I squealed and hugged her, "Oh Raven that's so cute!" I wondered if she knew of his secretive behavior.

"I like to pretend he's a vampire and I'm his human soul mate," she joked. I laughed at her thought, "Good one!"

I took off my shirt and turned to Raven, "Do you even believe in Vampires?" A worried look crossed her face; she took a second before answering me. "Yeah," she finally spoke, "I mean I've had a few of my own…..experiences. Do you?"

I thought for a second before answering, "No. None of that exists. It's like a glorified fairy tale." Raven let out a breath she looked like she had been holding in, "To each their own. What about soul mates?"

I nodded quickly, "those exist. My mother is a practicing Wiccan, she's been trying to teach me for years," I paused hoping that didn't scare Raven away. "Soul mates exist; they come in your life at the worst possible time and sweep you off your feet. You touch for the first time and your flesh burns from heat, you are bonded in this life and the next. "

She giggled, "Oh that's my Alexander." I smiled at her as I threw on my pjs.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have written three more chapters for this story as of right now! It'd be super cool if you guys could let me know how it's going! :)