Folie à Deux

Eleven

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked him shortly as he started towards me.

"I came to tell you I'm not buyin' that painting," Pete replied calmly.

I cocked a brow, "Okay. You came all the way down here to tell me that? I wasn't going to sell it to you anyway."

Pete crossed his arms over his chest, frowning "Why not?"

"For one, it's mine, it's of my son 'n I really like it, 'n two, I don't think you'd want to be reminded of me and what we created," I muttered.

He stepped back, "You're a real piece of work, you know that?"

I rolled my eyes, feeling the urge to turn away from him, "What do you want, Pete? Why'd you come down here?"

Pete was set to answer when Sammy's loud obnoxious laughter echoed through the bottom floor, and then Anthony laughing loudly right along, "No! No more! It hurts!"

"He's here?" Pete's brows were raised, he looked frightened, and spoke softly.

I let out a small exhale and nodded, "Yeah, he is, and so is Jojo. He was sick last night."

Pete took another step back, saying suddenly, "Me 'n you needa talk."

"No," I shook my head, "I said all that needed to be said. I asked you what you wanted to do and I'm waiting for an answer...actually, only Sam is waiting for an answer. I'm just the messenger."

Pete ran his hand through his hair, looking just a bit annoyed, "I can't make a decision--"

I put my hand up to stop him, "Yes you can. It's simple, yes or no. Sam already made up his mind--"

"You told him?!" He exclaimed sharply, his eyes near bulging.

I held back a sarcastic laugh, "Oh yeah, I did. Don't worry, Sammy doesn't have a blog yet, so your secret is safe with us."

"Why the hell did you tell him?" He hissed.

"Because I don't lie to my kids," I muttered, "plus he needed to know. He asks about his dad nearly everyday."

"Now we really have to talk," he snapped at me.

"About what?" I placed my hand on my hip.

"About him," his voice was still at a sharp hiss, "let's go."

"I'm not going anywhere," I turned away from him, "I have stuff to do, plus Joe 'n Marie are gonna watch Sam and Jojo while I pick up some things. You wanna talk, I suggest you go talk to yourself."

"Angelus--"

I put my hand up again, "You told me to fuck off last night. 'N since you haven't made a choice about our son, then we don't have anything to talk about, so you can leave now, Pete."

He didn't say a word, he just stood there while I returned to my desk and continued to file through papers and set things in order. I waited for him to turn and leave, but he didn't, he stood there for almost a minute before he sighed my name. Wanting to look up, I held back, shaking my head, "Leave."

Pete let out a deeper sigh and came closer to me, standing right beside my desk; I peeked over and looked at him, giving him a hard look. He tilted his head, giving me a pleading look -so much like Sam- "I only wanna talk. I already made up my mind."

"And?" I cocked a brow at him.

Pete put his hand to palm his face, "Ugh, it's...gonna be hard, but I wanna talk first."

"I don't want to talk," I stood up straight, "you can go now."

Pete stepped back, but he didn't say or do anything. I ignored him, putting all my finished work to the side. I let him stay there, waiting like an idiot because what he wanted to talk about wasn't important. All I needed was a yes or no answer, and if he didn't want to give it to me, then there was nothing that need be said. Though, I was curious as to what exactly Pete wanted to talk about.

"Whoa," I heard Sabrina say as she descended the stairs, "uh, hello."

"Hey," Pete said cooly, "Sabrina, right?"

Sabrina hummed, "Yep."

Pete cleared his threat, "Uh, is it cool if I take Angel out--"

I narrowed my eyes at him, cutting him off, "I'm not going anywhere, I have paperwork and I have to pick up Sammy's medication. You can go now, Pete," I told him in a short burst.

The entire building was enveloped in this awkward silence. Sabrina had cleared her throat too and continued down the stairs, "Uh...I can take the kids home if--"

"Mommy!" Sammy's excited yell sounded from my office, "Mommy, 'mere!"

I smiled at his tone of voice; he was so excited and demanding wrapped up in one. I could only assume that he wanted to ask or show me something.

Looking back at Pete, I put my finger up, "Leave."

Pete's brows moved unnaturally, knitting together as I turned away. Sabrina gave me a worrisome look as I walked past her, but I only shook my head, heading to my office. I tried not to let Pete's presence dampen my mood; I didn't want my kids or even Anthony to pick up on it

"What's up, guys?" I asked as I entered my office.

Anthony had Sammy in his arms, setting him on his feet, "Tonight we have a small gig at this little club; it's all ages and the kids wanted to know if they could come."

I frowned slightly, "Ant, that sounds nice, but I don't think letting them stay up late is a good idea."

Jojo and Sammy both whined, "Aw!"

Anthony chuckled, "How about the sound check then? That's at 5."

"I guess," I agreed, hearing the kids cheer then.

"Cool. I'll call with the details, I gotta head out."

I shut my eyes momentarily, "Watch out, there's a A-S-S out there."

He raised his brow, laughing softly, "Uh...okay?"

"P-E-T-E," I spelt out, "he's out there."

Anthony's brows shot up, "Seriously?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

I had told Anthony just a brief recollection of the night before; the most important thing that got across was that Pete wasn't all to happy about me keeping Sammy a secret. Anthony had said Pete was being ridiculous and could be jumping through loops to see Sam; I had agreed, but I don't blame Pete for being so upset. Though, his stupid little antidote about wanting to talk before telling me his decision made me want to smash his head into a wall.

"I'm gonna talk to him," Anthony murmured under his breath.

I shook my head and grabbed his arm, "No. Don't worry about, Ant."

"You kiddin'?"

"No, I'm not. Just leave him alone, he's already pissed, I don't need him pissed at you too."

Rolling his eyes, Anthony let out a laugh, "Like I care how that d-bag feels."

"You obviously do if you're upset," I crossed my arms across my chest and smirked.

"I only care about Sam and Johanna," he said, smiling crookedly at me.

"Whatever you say, but don't say anything, especially not with the kids here," I warned.

Anthony winked, "You got it."

As Anthony gathered his things, I tried to keep Sammy and Jojo from running after him and following him to the front of the gallery. I was hoping Pete was gone, but just before Anthony was ready to go, Sabrina walked in, "Hey."

"What's up?" I asked her.

She nudged her head towards the front, "He's still waitin'. He really wants to talk to you."

I looked at her incredulously, "Seriously?"

She hummed, "Want me to watch the kids?"

"Yeah," I coursed my fingers through my hair, then made sure both Jojo and Sammy were busy coloring.

The two of them had already said bye to Anthony and didn't seem to acknowledge us talking. I was so happy that they weren't following Anthony and I as we headed out the room; Sabrina sat with them, momentarily getting their attention. Still, the kids didn't seem to notice Anthony and I slipping out.

"What does he want?" Anthony asked as we headed towards the front.

"To talk," I answered.

Pete was there waiting, his back turned to us, with his phone to his ear, speaking in a hushed tone. Anthony shrugged, giving me a hug and kiss on the cheek before leaving. Pete turned just as Anthony had exited, smirking at me.

"You can leave unless you want Sammy to see you," I told him, "I'd hurry if I were you."

"Please," Pete's smirk dropped as he began to plead, "just 20 minutes. I talked to Joe...he said we should talk."

I sighed defeatedly, "There's no way of deterring you, is there?"

He grinned widely at me, "Nope."

Shaking my head, I tugged at my sleeves, "Lemme go tell Sabrina...I'll have her drop the kids off with Joe if you haven't finished running your mouth, but I doubt it'll take long."

Pete's grin was still plastered on his face even after I turned away. I returned to my office, grabbing my bag, "Hey, guys, I'm gonna go talk to someone real quick, and then pick up Sammy's medication, alright?"

"'Kay," the kids both looked up at me.

Sabrina smiled happily, "I hope you work it out."

I shook my head, "Don't hope too hard. Uh, do you mind taking my car and dropping them off with Joe and Marie? I hate to ask--"

Sabrina cut me off, "I'd love to. I like hanging with them."

"Thanks, I owe you a lot," I exhaled softly. I turned towards the kids, kissing their heads "I love you, be good for Joe and Marie."

"We will," Jojo assured.

"Sam," I called to him, gaining his attention instantly, "please no crazy jumps or playing with your stitches," I seemed to plead

Sammy grinned -just like Pete-, "'Kay."

"Promise," I warned him playfully.

He held out his little finger to me, "Pinkie p'omise."

I wrapped my finger with his, "Thank you. Have fun, I'll see you guys soon."

The kids and Sabrina continued on coloring and talking as I left the room; Pete was waiting by the door, his eyes down at his phone again. I pulled my coat on, making sure I had my own phone and keys, and then I nudge him with my elbow to get his attention. He didn't say a word as he followed me out, keeping distance beside me; "Where do you--"

"Cafe," I told him shortly, "it's right by my loft, that way if you piss me off I can go home and scream."

Pete snickered, "Geez."

I led the way, keeping my mouth shut, and trying not to acknowledge Pete there. Being in his presence was making me even more upset with each second. He was sucking the happiness straight from me, like some shithole vampire.

In the cafe, it was quiet and practically empty. Pete found a table towards the back, away from the window and the register, while I ordered a coffee for myself. He didn't want anything, I could see the anxiety in his movements, I didn't understand what was going on with him, even with all this news, he wasn't acting as calm as he pretended to be.

I made my way to the table with my coffee and sat across from him, noticing that the table was almost hidden in a corner, darkened; "What did you want to talk about?" I sighed softly.

Pete licked over his lips, sucking them in momentarily "I wanted to ask you again why you didn't tell me."

I bit back an annoyed sigh, "You were getting married, Pete. I didn't want to ruin your happiness," I explained dryly.

"I would've been okay with it, y'know," he replied back softly.

"How was I suppose to know?" I countered back. "The last time we saw each other, you made it seem like you didn't even wanna be with me. That hurt a lot...I mean I lost John and I thought I had you, as a friend or whatever, and then you said...that stuff."

"I didn't mean it the way you think I did," he played with his fingers, his eyes focused on my own fingers wrapped around my coffee cup, "I was warnin' you, Angel. I was telling you what to expect if you did want to be with me. They'd dissect us until all the stuff we had wouldn't mean anything to anyone and I was afraid you'd leave. I wanted you to know they'd tear you apart."

"Then I guess we both fucked up," I held my cup to my lips, blew and then sipped. "I didn't keep Sam a secret to hurt you. I never, ever wanted to hurt you, Pete."

He frowned, "I know."

"I really am sorry," I looked down as well, my eyes following the small waves of my coffee in my cup, "I can't even say it enough. I'm so, so sorry, Pete."

"Don't apologize," Pete mumbled, "I get it, but it still...really sucks."

I swallowed, "You don't have to give me anything--"

"Angelus," he said my name sharply, "if you're giving me a choice, why'd you tell Sam?"

I looked at him, "Because I hate lying to my kids. If they ask me for the truth, I tell them. Do you know how sad Sam was when I told him that his daddy was in heaven? He was heartbroken, all he wants is a dad."

Pete looked down again, his hand running across his jaw.

"I told him that he couldn't meet you yet because you weren't ready. And if Sam asks me about you, I'm gonna tell him the truth, I don't see why I should lie."

"What if I don't wanna meet him?" He wondered a loud, as if he was questioning his inner self and not me.

I scoffed, "Then I'll tell him. I told you, I don't lie to them."

"What if he asks why we aren't together?"

"Then I'm going to tell him some people make babies without being in love and that's what happened between us," I answered simply; I was started to feel frustrated by him and his stupid what-ifs.

"We were kinda," he spoke quietly, keeping his eyes away. "We were somethin'."

I shook my head, "No, we weren't anything, Pete."

"I loved you," he added shortly.

"What?" I narrowed my eyes at him, finally getting a look back. "You're joking, right?"

I could see that his ego was wounded.

"I'm being serious," I stammered quickly, "are you joking or are you telling me the truth?"

"I'm telling you the truth," he replied shortly, his brows furrowed, "I was in love with you, Angel."

My chest suddenly ached. I felt sick. I wanted to throw up.

"I didn't know. Why didn't you say anything?" I spat this out, I wanted to shout at him.

"'Cuz of John. You were sad, I didn't want you to think I was takin' advantage of you," he answered, his shoulders slumped.

I was silent for a moment, letting it sink in before I managed to say, without really thinking about the words, "I get it."

I did get it. I understood why he wouldn't say or act on his feelings. At that time, I didn't know if I loved anyone that wasn't my daughter, parents and John. I was so wrapped up in my own sadness and misery and worry that loving anyone other than my family didn't even come across my mind.

"With all this shit that's happenin'," Pete rubbed his hands together, then shoved them into his hoodie pockets, "I...I'm kinda scared to meet 'im, Angel."

"He's just a kid--"

He cut me off, "I don't wanna disappoint him. My wife just left me and suing for custody of my kid," he muttered. "I don't want it to happen again."

I swallowed, leaned over the table and made sure our eyes made contact, "I will never keep Sammy from you. You can see him whenever you want, Pete, because that's all Sam wants. I'm not going to hold anything against you; you're all that Sam wants," I repeated quickly, but softly.

Pete nodded to himself, his eyes breaking away from mine, "Okay. 'N, ya'know, I'm sorry for what I said last night."

I almost smirked, "It's okay, Pete."

He looked back at me, his tired eyes met mine, "Forgive me?"

"Yeah," I nodded my head, smiling just a bit, "yeah, I forgive you, Pete."

"I made my decision this morning...after Joe talked to me. I kinda had a feeling..." He trailed momentarily, seeming to think out loud than actually speaking to me, "After I found out that you had another kid, I sent them gifts--"

My brows rose, "That was you?"

He hummed, "Joe told me you had a son 'n I got this feeling in my chest..."

My mind ran blank.

"What feeling?" I spoke in a whisper.

"That Joe was tryna tell me that he was mine in a way. It felt obvious, but I wanted to be wrong because I couldn't imagine missing out on his life and disappointing him."

"I'm sorry," I muttered, feeling that all too familiar stinging sensation behind my eyes.

"I don't wanna miss out anymore," his hand slipped from his pocket and he rubbed his neck. "I'm ready...but I'm scared. Really...really fuckin' scared, Angelus."

I smiled and reached for his hand, taking it in mine and giving it a gently squeeze, "So, do you wanna meet him?"

Pete paused, this distant look in his eyes seemed to focus now, locking with mine. He exhaled, squeezing my hand right back, "Yeah...yeah, I do."
♠ ♠ ♠
Merry Christmas! I hope you all had a wonderful day and got everything you wanted this year! I've been working on this nonstop and I'm happy to say it's all coming along nicely!
Thank you all so very much for continue to read, I cannot thank you all enough! Much love to ya!

xoalisanti