Folie à Deux

Twelve

Pete and I took a cab to Joe and Marie's brownstone a half hour after he agreed to seeing Sam. Again, as we traveled together, we were quiet, but his body language spoke volumes. Pete was nervous, his leg bounced and he kept looking away from me; his eyes followed the people and the passing buildings outside the window. As we neared Joe's, I grabbed his hand, cupping it, placing it on my thigh, giving it a squeeze. Pete looked at me, his lips trembled as he tried to smile; I gave him a small smile back, mouthing "It's okay," to him; he only nodded and looked back out the window, his hand holding tight on my thigh.

Once the cab pulled up, Pete paid, and climbed out before me. I followed after, pushing my bag up my arm and stood beside Pete. As the cab took off, he stayed on the sidewalk, his eyes focused on the building while I started towards the stoop. I looked back, frowning slightly, "Pete?"

He shook his head, pacing in a short quick burst, "Gimme a sec..." he mumbled.

"You're nervous," I stated, "you want a smoke?"

"No, I'm--" he looked over at me, stopped his movements and frowned deeply, "Can I do this?"

"Yeah, of course you can," I returned to his side and took his shaking hand in mine, "he's gonna like you."

"That's what I'm afraid of," he squeezed my hand. "I don't think I can be a good dad."

My brows furrowed, "Why? You're good to Bronx."

"Ash said I can't..." He trailed, his hand loosened its grip on mine.

"Ashlee is just angry right now," I told him as I put my other hand on his shoulder, "don't let it dictate everything else."

Pete only looked down, "I can't help but to believe it."

"Take it slow," I advised, "Sammy is gonna love you, you know. All he wants is to know you. He isn't expecting the world. He doesn't want toys and gifts, he just wants you."

Pete took in a deep breath, "Okay. Okay."

I tugged him along up the stoop up to the door, then knocked. Pete kept his hand in mine, our fingers loosely intertwined; he stood behind me, his body was fidgeting again. I smiled, chuckling, "Calm down."

"I'm trying to."

Just as he said that, Marie opened the door; her brows shot up as soon as she spotted Pete, "Oh wow. I can see by the hand holding he knows?"

Pete scoffed playfully, "Yeah, Marie, I do. Let us in."

Marie stepped aside, laughing softly, "Okay. Forewarned, Sammy is playing hide and seek with Joe, Patrick and Sabrina."

"Patrick's here?" I asked excitedly.

"Yeah," Marie shut the door behind us after we walked in, "the whole gang will be here. Rae and Andy will be here in a few days."

Pete let my hand go, "I don't think this is--"

I stopped him, "Lemme go get him and you guys can meet, okay?"

The color again drained from his face, his hands began to tremble once again, "Okay."

I cupped his cheek, and smiled, "Get ready. Stop being so nervous!"

Marie chuckled, "You guys can talk in our room, c'mon, Pete."

Pete followed Marie while I went to find Sammy. It didn't take me long, the giggling led me towards the living room. I found him hiding under the coffee table and holding in a more giggles. I knelt down, then whispered, "Who's seekin'?"

"Unc'a Joe," Sam whispered back.

"Do you wanna take a break? I have a surprise for you."

Sammy looked out at me, "Yeah!"

I helped him from under the table and then picked him up, placing him on my hip; "Ollie, ollie oxyen free!" I called out, "Sammy is out the game for a little while."

No one answered me, I assumed that they wanted to keep hiding from Joe. Joe was nowhere to be seen, I figured he was trying to keep quiet too. So, I ignored the silence and carried Sammy from the living room and up the stairs. He was so excited about the surprise, he kept asking me to tell him what it was. I teased him, "You just gotta wait 'n see, baby boy."

Sammy pouted, but was still more than excited, "Okay."

"Only a few more steps," I told him as we got to the landing.

Marie was waiting by the bedroom door, smiling softly at me; then Joe came down the narrow hall, "Where's Jojo?" He whispered to Sammy.

"That's cheating!" Patrick called from our opposite direction.

Joe grinned and took off, causing Sam, Marie and I to laugh.

"Okay," I said with a exhaling laugh, "let's get this surprise over with."

Marie then waved us over, "Ready?"

Sammy nodded excitedly, "Uh-huh!"

I carried Sammy, quite slowly, towards the bedroom. The anxiety was starting to creep up on me, my face was growing warm and my heart was beating wildly. I hugged Sammy as I entered the bedroom, exhaling again.

Pete was sitting at the edge of the bed, his thumbnail between his teeth and his knee bouncing. The room was quiet, the door shut behind me, and it was just the three of us. Almost instantly upon laying eyes on Pete, Sammy wiggled in my arms, "Lemme down, mommy."

I obliged, setting him on his feet, watching him walk towards Pete. Pete sat there at the edge of the bed, his hands were shaking and he too watched Sammy. Sam walked over, his arms swinging wildly at his sides, and then he stopped once he stood in front of Pete. He looked up at Pete, as if he was inspecting a new creature.

In a way, he was.

"Hi," Sammy greeted him, his tiny hand waved at Pete. I couldn't help but to laugh.

Pete smiled, his face blooming into a ray of happiness and pure joy, "H-hi...Sam. Your mom told me a lot about you."

Sammy looked at me, shaking his curly hair from his face, "Is okay?"

I nodded, "It's okay."

Sammy turned back to Pete, "Daddy?"

Pete looked as if he would burst into tears at any moment, which in turn made me want to cry. I held my breath and placed my palm over my mouth as I witnessed a few tears roll down Pete's cheeks and his face burn red. Sammy stepped closer, his hands going to Pete's face.

"Why you cryin'?" Sammy murmured curiously.

Pete shrugged; he swallowed thickly, his throat bobbing as he did so, "I dunno," he said brokenly.

Sammy wiped at Pete's face, rubbing away the tears, "Mommy gives me hugs when 'm sad. Wan' hugs, daddy?"

Pete nearly started to bawl; he bit down on his bottom lip, "Yeah, sure, dude."

Sammy opened his arms and let Pete scoop him up. Sammy hugged Pete tight around his neck, burying his face into his neck. Pete let out a few deep sighs, his arms snugged under Sam's bottom, keeping him up and in his lap. My stomach tightened and my heart ached at the sight of them together. I was regretting keeping them from one another; it was like witnessing long lost friends reuniting.

"Feel betta?" Sammy asked him, bringing his head around.

Pete hummed, "A lot better."

"Mommy say my hugs 'r good," Sammy beamed over at me, "huh?"

"Yep, your hugs are the best, Sam," I winked at him before wiping away my own stray tears.

Pete kissed his cheek, "They are. You made me feel so much better, little dude."

"H'w come ya still sad?" Sammy cupped his cheeks.

"I'm not," Pete shook his head, "I'm happy, these are happy tears."

Sammy nodded his head, "'Kay."

"Want me to leave you guys alone?" I asked softly.

Pete licked over his lips, looking nervous all over again. Sammy shrugged at me.

"If you want," Pete said.

"How about you tell him your favorite things, Sam?" I offered. "Daddy wants to know everything about you. We can go downstairs, I'll help Marie make lunch while you play with daddy."

Sammy agreed, "'Kay."

"C'mon," I waved them over.

Sammy climbed from Pete's lap and held out his hand; Pete took ahold, exhaling with a broad smile, looking excited, yet still nervous. I gave him an encouraging smile, and once he was close enough, I kissed his cheek and thanked him.



Sammy and Jojo took to Pete like they took to Joe and the rest of my friends; warmly and quite easily. Though, Sammy spent the entire afternoon talking to Pete, telling him everything about himself. Pete was quiet, still unsure of what to say, and unsure of what to tell him about his own life. I understood that part; he was afraid to give Sam too much too soon. Sammy was glad to give him everything he had and more; he seemed to burst with information and questions for Pete..

"I'm glad you guys worked it out," Sabrina relayed to me once it was just myself, her and Marie in the kitchen having tea. "Sam told me he really wanted to see Pete."

"I know," I hummed softly, "I was afraid Pete was gonna say no."

"It's this mess with Ashlee," Marie added in quietly, "I love her 'n all, but she really broke him....down."

"What happened?" I asked, my lips turning down as I looked over at her.

Marie gave a small shrug, "Dunno. One day they're happy, the next, Pete's ignoring us all and only talking to Gabe. Gabe said Ash was getting tired of whatever he was doing with his new music and he wasn't helping with Bronx at home...but I'm sure it's much deeper than just music and taking turns changing diapers and wiping noses."

I looked down at my cup of tea, watching the little waves as I cupped it, "I feel so bad."

"We all do," Marie continued, "Pete hasn't been the same since the hiatus."

"Maybe some time with Sam will be good," Sabrina suggested happily, "some down time with his kid could help."

"I hope so," Marie hummed, then placed her hand on my arm; I looked up at her and saw her smile at me sincerely, "Joe was so excited when he found out about Sam. He wanted to tell Pete so bad."

I felt my cheeks warm and my lips turn up, faintly smiling back at her, "Yeah, I know."

"It's only because we worry about him," her hand slipped away, her eyes casting down, "Joe and Patrick are afraid the divorce will cause Pete to break away again...have him doing things he used to."

I swallowed, "Like...the suicide?"

She gave me a small nod, "Yeah...the drinking is getting out of control."

I bit at my lip, feeling a small knot tug in my belly, "It is?"

"Look, we don't want to drop his problems on you, Angelus, we just want to give you a heads up," Marie started quickly, "you can help us help Pete...I mean, if you want to...we just know that you guys were so very close and he trusts you more than he trusts anyone else."

I shook my head, "He's still upset with me. 'N he's probably more prone to go to Gabe."

"Gabe isn't..." Marie paused, her eyes cast down again, "I just don't want anything to happen to Pete. Something happens to Pete, it's like a chain reaction. Joe will lose his mind, so will Patrick. Andy...Andy would never come back home and then we'll all be in shambles," she looked back at me, her eyes were growing wet and her cheeks turned pink. "I'm only asking for just someone else to help him through. I'm not asking for you to take on his problems--"

I cut her off, "I know, I know. I just...I don't want to do more harm than good."

She sniffled, turning away and then back, a tissue in her hand, wiping her eyes quickly, "Joe told me you guys were a thing...you guys were close and it seems like Pete will listen to you."

I almost laughed, my lips tweaking in a smirk, "Me 'n Pete weren't ever together or anything. We hooked up once, it was..." I trailed, "It happened once and that's it, we weren't in love or anything."

"He told Joe that he loves you," Marie murmured.

I shook my head, "Pete's just feelin' bad right now."

"I think he needs you," Sabrina said suddenly, "do you see the way he looks at you whenever you're around?"

I shook my fingers through my hair, hoping what was being said was false. Right then, I didn't want to get involved with anyone, especially with Pete, especially then. He didn't need me, what he needed was some time to himself, to get things together and then find himself. He didn't need to fall in love. What Pete needed was time to himself before he completely lost his mind; I was hoping Sammy could help.

"The kid'll help," was all I could say to them. "Sam is what he needs."

"Either way," Marie continued, "I'm glad you're here."

I smiled at her, "Thank you. I'm...I'm kinda glad I am too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy New Years everyone! It's just after midnight here and I hope you're all having a wonderful and safe time! I'm a bit under the weather. It I'm doing great and spent the night writing and hanging with my little family. Thank you all for continuing to read, I appreciate each and every one of you!

xoali