Folie à Deux

Seven

My hands were moist and shaking as soon as I felt the nerve to exit the dining area. A waiter followed behind me carrying a silver tray of these cute tiny little sandwiches that Sabrina loves. I tried not to look too hard to see Pete, but subconsciously I saw him everywhere.

"Angel!"

I nearly jumped ten feet in the air when I heard someone call my name. Joe's voice was calm and relaxing, soothing. He sounded like a real friend; his hair was tied back, his facial hair was scruffier since the week's past and he was dressed a bit more formal, though his jeans were darker, cleaner and his band t-shirt wasn't too obscene.

"Hey Joe," I exhaled briefly before embracing him.

"This is awesome! You're paintings are incredible!" He said happily, then he stood back, making room for the woman to his left, "This is my fiancée Marie. Babe, this is Angelus."

Marie was a bit taller than myself, and she looked the opposite of Joe, but they fit together like puzzle pieces. She wore this beautiful white lace blouse and black jeans, like Joe's, and her hair was down, flowing past her shoulders; her smile was dazzling, infectious just like his too. I wanted to hug her; Marie seemed to be a friend of mine already.

"Hey," we greeted each other in a gentle hug like old pals.

"So," Marie began as we parted, "you're the infamous Angelus I've heard so much about."

"In the past week?" I eyed Joe playfully.

Joe looked away from me with a small smile; that's when I remembered that Pete was in the building.

"In the past few days," Marie laughed softly, not seeming to catch my and Joe's panic glances, "Pete wouldn't shut up about how talented you are."

"Hey," Joe cut in, grabbing Marie's arm, "babe, will you get us some champagne. Sorry, I just wanna...warn Ang," he whispered the last part, but I heard him.

Marie smiled, nodding as she did so, "Sure," then she looked at me, "want some, Angelus?"

"Uh, yeah, please. White wine actually," I told her, forcing a smile out of myself

Marie didn't seem to catch on to the uncomfortable feelings brewing behind my eyes. She stepped away, disappearing from our sight; Joe took my elbow, moving me away, "Okay, before you kill me, I didn't invite Pete."

"I'll bet my children Gabe did," I muttered, annoyed.

"Yeah," Joe breathed. "I didn't even know he was coming until Pete called and told me that you had a art thing coming up, and I had to pretend that I didn't know. He said Gabe and Erin invited him."

Of course Joe knew; I had put his name on the guest list, plus one. Erin Fetherston is a friend who I helped put together designs for Vogue Fashion Funds in California and New York. I didn't know she was dating Gabe Saporta; we hadn't spoken or seen one another in awhile.

"How long has Erin been with Gabe?" I asked.

Joe shrugged slightly, "Uh, a week or two. They just met."

"Why is Pete here? In New York, I mean?" I asked shortly, feeling the urge to tug at my hair.

"I don't know for sure, but I know how close he and Gabe are, I'm thinking Pete needed to get away from LA and Ashlee," Joe answered.

"You kept Sam a secret, right?" I asked finally, just a bit nervous.

He nodded, "The only secret I've ever kept from Marie."

I exhaled, "Thank you. I'm sorry...I'm gonna tell him, Joe. I never meant for it all to snowball, I promise you--"

He cut me off, "Don't worry. You can make it up to me by letting Marie meet your wild ones."

I nodded, feeling some relief upon seeing Joe smile, "For sure. Sammy's been dyin' to see your toys."

"How 'bout tomorrow?" Joe looked excited. "You can talk to Pete--"

"Angelus!"

My heart stopped again, falling into the pit of my stomach. Pete's voice rang in my ears, it was still the same; the boyish tone was still playful, but had this desperate ring to it; like a child beginning to ask their mother for a toy at a department store. I couldn't make myself turn around and see the latest toy he wanted me to buy.

"Angel!" He called my name again.

"Angelus," Sabrina's called over him this time, "Big Bob's callin' your phone," she was coming from my direction, "says it's urgent."

My body felt like it was being pulled in two directions. The most desirable, and the most obvious choice was my father-in-law, even with Pete picking up speed behind me, followed by Marie, Erin and Gabe.

"Give me a sec. Thanks for the wine," I said to them, my eyes only giving Joe and Marie direct contact, "I'll be right back," I turned towards Sabrina, "what's up, Sabrina?"

Sabrina exhaled softly, "Our little Sam broke ripped a couple of stitches and the hospital needs your consent--"

I practically ran towards Sabrina, grabbing the phone from her, immediately placing it against my ear, "Bob? Bob, what happened?"

"Angelus," Bob said my name softly, "it's alright, he didn't hurt himself, he pulled two stitches out, so they need to get him some numbing medication and pain reliever to stitch it back together."

I sighed deeply and leaning against the nearest wall, hearing Sabrina giggle before she disappeared, "Oh, man, you scared me."

"I'm sorry, honey, didn't mean to. I'm gonna hand ya over to the nurse and confirm everything, alright?"

"Alright."

The nurse told me that they'd be only restitching his gash and that he'd be okay and asleep for most of the night. I was relieved and was fine with it all, though, I would've been right there with him if I knew that leaving Sabrina all alone here would be very unprofessional of me, so I decided that I would just make it up to my kids the next day, after they hung out with Joe and Marie.

"Lemme talk to my little man, Bob," I said before I knew I would have to get back to mingling (and face the looks I felt burning behind my back.)

"Sure thing, Angel," Bob answered happily.

"Mommy, you's mad?" Sammy questioned tiredly.

I grinned, my heart melting at his soft tired voice, "Nah, Sam-Bam, mommy's not mad. How do you feel?"

He yawned, "Sleepy."

"Where's Johanna?"

"Wit' gammy."

"I bet she was tired too. Tomorrow, when I pick you guys up, we're gonna hang out with my friends. You remember Joe?" He hummed and then yawned again, "He's gonna show you his toys and you're gonna meet his fiancée. Are you exited?"

"Uh-huh," he answered nonchalantly.

I knew the pain medication was working, "You go to sleep now, baby. I'll see you in the morning. I love you, Sam."

"Love ya," he mumbled.

I smiled after hanging up and then shoved my phone into my pocket. Turning around, I bumped right into someone; I jumped and yelped, the other person laughed, and I immediately grinned, relieved, seeing Anthony Raneri.

"Ant!" I pulled Anthony into my arms, "Holy cow, I missed you!"

Anthony hugged back, warmly, "I missed you too! Where're the monsters?"

We parted, but he kept a firm hand on my shoulder, "They're with John's family. Actually, the little monster is having his stitches fixed."

Anthony's hand fell as he laughed, "No shit. I have to stop by and say hi. We haven't seen them since July...the fireworks in Long Island, right?"

I hummed, "Yep, when Sam burned his thumb."

We both laughed, shaking our heads, "He truly is a monster...John would be proud."

Aside from my and John's parents, Anthony was one of the first to catch Sammy's resemblance to Pete. Anthony is Sammy's Godfather, but since Anthony toured and recorded constantly, he rarely saw us, or his own family as much as he really wanted to. When he did see us, he made sure it was all fun and weirdly enough, he never brought up John, unless he did it off handedly.

"So," I said changing the subject, "what are you doing here?"

Anthony dug into his pocket, and then waved around one of the light purple envelopes Sabrina likes to use, "I got your invite."

"No duh," I mumbled to myself.

"You feeling alright?" He asked with a slight chuckle.

"I'm fine," I replied, "I keep forgetting where I am. I'm supposed to be mingling."

"I'm supposed to be up the street," he threw his thump back, "I stopped in to say hi, maybe arranged to get lunch 'n plan a play date?"

"Sure thing, Ant," I coursed my fingers through my hair, "we should talk when time isn't so constricting."

"No doubt," his funny Long Island accent came through, "call me, alright? I got some more gifts for the kids."

I cocked a brow as he hugged and kissed me before heading out quickly. It dawned on me as Anthony disappeared so fast that he must've been the one to send the presents to my loft; it was a bit of a load off. But, just as I felt a little better, a ton of bricks came showering over me as another hand landed tight on shoulder; "Angelus."

My stomach did somersaults as I turned to face him, "Pete."

Pete looked beat up, and not in the sense of someone having been beaten up by someone with their fists and kicks. You could see that sleep deprivation, heavy thoughts, bad coffee, or too much coffee and junk food didn't help him. Even in clean dress clothes and that sweet smile, Pete looked as if someone picked him off the street and offered to clean him up for some raw deal.

"Can we talk?"

Automatically, I shook my head, and I don't know why. He frowned, and you could see the entire world in his eyes crash. Like a child having his favorite toy taken from him; I knew that look.

"I'm sorry," I said quickly, thinking of a lie, "I want to--I really do, I swear...right now is not a good time."

He perked up a bit, but his shoulders slumped under his dress coat, "Okay."

I felt uncomfortable, so I reach over and took his coat off, "This coat ain't you."

He chuckled, "Gabe insisted."

"Gabe is annoying," I mumbled, "I can't believe Erin is dating him. They must love fashion."

"I know, right?" Pete said with a smirk.

I folded his coat over my arm carefully before handing it to him, "Tomorrow we can talk, I promise. I just don't want Sabrina to think she's on her own. I..." I didn't know how to bring up Sammy, or even Jojo, "I'll call you? I got a lot of stuff to do, but I really needa talk to you, okay? I really want to, it's important. But...right now, let's just be friends 'n talk about the art, okay?"

Pete grinned; that secret grin of his that I didn't know I had missed so much until then. My stomach flipped again.

"Alright," he nodded, then held out his hand, "let's go, Ms. van Gogh."

I rolled my eyes and tried not let him see wiping my sweaty hand on the back of my blouse. I managed to get it dry before I slipped my hand in his, seeing how mismatched we were, but how perfect it was for us. It was fine. The moment was fine. It was okay.

Until Gabe rushed over, whispering loudly, drunk off sparkling champagne, "Dude! Wentz, you gotta see this kid this girl Sabrina painted!" He whisper-shouted, "He looks like Andrew."

Pete raised a heavy brow, "My brother or Hurley?"

My stomach tightened at Gabe's next whispered words, "Your brother!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the late update! The weather is weird but I love it. I love October more than anything.

Thank you for being patient and reading, I appreciate it more than you can imagine.
xoali