Sunsets and Silhouette Dreams

5

As Isabella awoke, a strange spell of dizziness instantly coursed through her body and she closed her eyes yet again, waiting for the dizziness to go before attempting to open them again. When she did finally get them opened she saw Nathaniel entering through the bedroom door with a first aid kit in hand. He slowly made his way to her and upon finally getting to the bed; he took a seat and unzipped the bag taking out an antiseptic wipe and a bandage along with bandage tape.

“T-thank you, you know, for bringing me in here and helping me and all. I really appreciate it, Nate.”

“Do not call me Nate. I don’t even know you. And what was I meant to do? Just leave you on the floor to stain the tiles with your blood?” said Nathaniel in a harsh tone. A sigh escaped his lips as he ran his hand through his hair, in nervousness.

He had no idea why he had been so harsh when she was just apologizing, maybe it was just the saying “old habits don’t die fast” getting into play.

“Sorry,” Isabella mumbled, lowering her eyesight to her wrist which rested on top of the blanket that was covering her. The gash had practically seized bleeding and now only a deep cut about 3 inches was visible.

Silence befell them as Nathaniel carefully and sufficiently cleaned and bandaged up Isabella’s wrist. Isabella looked up just as Nathaniel was securing the bandage to notice that he was mere centimeters from her face. Her senses were going berserk; the smell of his newly sprayed aftershave tingling her nostrils and the site of his hair as it rested just over his concentrating eyes. Her heart beat increased ten-fold and felt as if it were to explode when he finally looked up, noticing her staring.

Nathaniel heartbeat too rose as he was unaware of just how close he had gotten to Isabella. As he looked up at her face, her eyes seemed to penetrate his soul, keeping him captivated. With all his might he tried to ignore the goose bumps that now lined his skin but the sensation was too overwhelming. Nathaniel leaned in just that little bit as Isabella did the same. As their lips met, a new passion was sparked in each of their bodies, carrying them away until it was too late to turn back.

______________________________________________________________________

The next morning Nathaniel felt something moving on his chest, instantaneously waking him up from his peaceful slumber. He glanced down to see a mass of blond hair sprawled over his chest and over the face of its owner. Memories of the night before flashed through his head and a feeling of regret washed over him. There was nothing keeping the naked body next to him and himself separate, their bodies were still entwined.

Nathaniel slowly and steadily clambered from the bed, as not to wake Isabella’s sleeping form. A sigh escaped his lips as he headed towards the bathroom to take a shower, before having to face the repercussions of the night before. He knew that nothing could happen between them even if he was starting to warm up to her being around; for one, she was the ex-fiancée of his boss, of whom she had run out on their wedding, and number two, he promised to never get intimate with another girl on the level of a relationship after what had happened with Emma.

After Nathaniel had had his shower and gotten changed into some other clothes, he crept back into his bedroom only to find an already awake Isabella, sitting up in the bed.

“Listen, Isabella, we need to talk.” Nathaniel said before Isabella cut in.

“I know, Nathaniel. You do not want a relationship and this was all a bit of fun, and we are never to repeat this to another person as yours and your families’ jobs and reputation would be at stake.” A sense of business like attitude was present in her speech, “I’ve already thought everything through and I do understand because this is exactly how I feel too.” And with that Isabella plastered on a smile, a fake smile. She didn’t believe in a word she had said and with each syllable she uttered, she felt like her heart was breaking piece by piece. Yes, it is true that Isabella had felt an attraction towards Nathaniel and now that she knew he did not return the feeling, she knew it was best to just forget about what had happened last night.

“Thanks. I’m so glad you understand, really. Well, I think we should leave for the airport because your plane lands in 2 hours.” With that the conversation was drawn to an end. This was the last discussion to be conversed between them for many years, as; on Isabella’s department all that was exchanged were simple goodbyes and awkward hugs.