‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

13 - Snow White Queen

Before facing off against the invincible titan of vampires, the group decided it would be best to take a rest and recharge. Chris and Angie broke out a few MREs, while Azrael sat off to the side with a lunchbox sized cooler filled with white bottles. Ga’vriel sat with him, watching him with a worried expression. “That won’t be enough to heal your eyes.”

Azrael cracked open his fifth bottle and drank it down cold. “No, but it’ll take care of my chest.”

Ga’vriel reached into his pocket and pulled out a red handkerchief. “Well, at least we can cover you up somewhat. Frankly, you look frightening.”

Azrael let him tie the folded handkerchief around his missing eyes securely. Then he flinched suddenly, dropping the empty bottle. One hand went to his chest wound. Ga’vriel reached out for him, but he fended him off. “Hold on.”

He gingerly slipped the claws of his thumb and forefinger into the open wound. He sucked his breath through his fangs as he slowly pulled out the bullet. After it was done, his shoulders slumped in relief. He dropped the bullet on the floor. The silver made a musical ping! when it hit the stone.

“You still had that in you?” Ga’vriel exclaimed.

“Yeah, it kind of went numb after a while. Probably because my head hurts so much.”

His brother’s eyes went wide. “I really don’t think you’re up to this right now…”

“It doesn’t matter. We still have to do this.”

Ga’vriel looked down at the floor. “Do you remember what it was like before? Before she went… bad?”

Azrael nodded. “A little.”

“Maybe there’s another way. One where we don’t have to kill her. She’s been by herself here all this time.” He looked up and down the hall. “I don’t think she can leave. Can’t we just shut her away in here?”

Azrael shook his head, wincing as he did. He twisted the cap off of another bottle. “No, her influence is too strong. It leaks out. I’ve felt it for years, but I didn’t recognize it for what it was. It taints us.” His shoulders slumped even further. “All of us. It isolates us and drives us mad.”

Ga’vriel leaned his head back on the wall. “And if we succeed? You’re leaving with them?”

“Yes.”

His eyes narrowed slightly as he looked over at Angie. “She’s all right, I suppose. If you like that sort. Seems a bit too soft to me.”

Azrael’s lips pulled back in a small smile. “That’s my favorite thing about her.” He finished off the bottle. “She’s stubborn, too. Don’t underestimate her, or she’ll knock you flat.”

“Literally,” Ga’vriel said wryly, remembering all too clearly when she had kicked him in the side of the head. “What’s going to happen to me, though, when you go back with them?”

“Don’t be silly. You’re coming home with us.”

His eyes widened. “I am?”

“Do you really think I’m going to abandon you a second time?”

“I didn’t think about it at all, actually.”

Azrael let out a small laugh. “I finally have you back, I’m not going to let you go.”

Gavriel’s expression turned sly. “When you say it like that, it makes me glad I’m not capable of blushing.”

“Shut up.” Azrael turned his face away.

Ga’vriel laughed loudly, drawing Chris and Angie’s attention. “This is so weird,” he told his sister in a low voice. “Just look at them.”

Angie was halfway through her chicken and rice, which she was eating with a plastic spoon. “I see them,” she said, her eyes on her pouch of food.

“They look exactly alike, but they act completely different. It’s bizarre.” He turned to her. “When you dragged me up to the frozen North for an adventure this was the last thing I was expecting.”

“Azri was a surprise,” she agreed.

“Is he coming back with us, do you think? Back to New York?”

“I expect so, though where he’s going to stay is beyond me. My apartment is tiny.”

“You have two bedrooms,” Chris pointed out.

She arched an eyebrow at him. “So? Gabriel needs a place to keep all his clothes.”

He let out a sigh. “I guess it’s just something we can decide later on. You know, if we live.” He pulled a water bottle out of his backpack and loosened the cap before holding it out to her.

She shook her head. “No thanks.”

He looked confused. “Why not? Aren’t you thirsty?”

“Do you seen any bathrooms around here?”

He tightened the cap and stowed the water bottle away. “Good point.”

She discarded her trash in a separate pocket of her backpack, then stood up and dusted off her hands. “All right, let’s go.”

Chris stood up as well and stretched. “How much further do you think we have to go?” This place is enormous.”

“It’s a while yet.”

“How do you know? Tell me honestly.”

She placed her hand on the wall. “Something happened here, a long time ago. It’s buried in the walls. I can see shadows of it, like memories.”

“That’s not cryptic at all.”

She looked up at the ceiling. “I think it’s caused by Lilith’s influence. It’s so powerful and it seems to be everywhere. I’m probably seeing her memories.”

“And that vampire we saw before? That wasn’t Lilith?”

Angie looked down the hallway, her eyes narrowing. “That wasn’t a vampire. It’s not a person in any sense of the word. It’s not even alive.”

“Great.”

“The briar’s not real, either.” She looked down at the vines running along the floor.

He nudged a thick vine with the toe of his boot. It seemed solid to him. “They certainly felt real to me when they were tossing me around. What are they?”

“Influence, I think. There’s something strange about them, though.” She frowned.

“Strange, you say? Do tell.”

“They don’t seem to be a part of Lilith, they’re not connected to her or that thing.”

“So she’s not the one that made them? I saw her controlling them.”

“I’m pretty sure it made you think that, but that’s not what I saw.” She started walking down the hall. “Let’s go.”

Angie took the lead, with Chris right behind. Azrael and Ga’vriel followed a few steps behind, walking side by side.

Angie ran her fingers along the wall as they continued on. She followed the two small boys as they wound their way through the maze of corridors. She could hear their words like whispers of memory.

‘It’s all their fault. They tried to kill her and they drove her mad instead. That’s why they ran away. We’re the only ones left.”

The other boy was looking straight ahead. ‘Before Manigault left, he told me something.’

‘What did he say?’ The first boy looked at the other in concern.

The other’s hand clenched into a fist. ‘That she might try to restore herself with blood. Your blood.’

Alarm and worry went through the first boy’s voice. ‘Mine? Just me?’

‘You’re a lot stronger than I am.’

‘Can you believe Manigault though? I mean, if she killed me would she really be whole again?’

‘It might be true, and if it is I’m not going to let it happen.’

‘But if it could really heal her mind, then that means she’d go back to the way she was before.’

The other boy stepped in front of his brother, his eyes fierce. ‘I’m not going to let her. Given the choice of having her back or keeping you, then I’m choosing you!’

The first boy ducked his head, embarrassed. ‘A-all right, then. I guess we have no choice...’

The boys vanished and Angie stopped. There was a wide archway in front of the group and corridors on both sides. The briar from all three paths led through the arch. “Looks like this is it.”

Chris pulled out his phone. “Hold on, let me tell Mom I love her.” He tapped at his screen for a bit.

“You’re sending her a text?” Angie’s eyebrows shot up.

“Yeah, she’s just gonna try to talk me out of it if I call her now.” He pocketed his phone again. A muffled chime could be heard, but he ignored it. He drew his pistol, his expression grim. “Let’s get dangerous.”

Angie drew her gun and checked the clip. “Any last requests should be taken care of now.”

Azrael stepped forward immediately, wrapping both arms around Angie and pulling her close. His lips found hers and he kissed her deeply. She was startled at first, but returned his embrace with enthusiasm.

Ga’vriel raised his hand up. “I’ll just take ‘not dying’. Is that okay?”

“I like the way you think,” Chris told him.

“Thank you,” Ga’vriel said solemnly.

Chris nudged Azrael in the side, clearing his throat loudly. “Come on, we don’t have all day.”

The couple broke apart as Chris headed for the archway. He peered through it, then quickly ducked away. “She’s in there, all right.” He poked just his head around the wall. “I don’t think she can see us, though.” His expression turned confused. “She’s just sitting there.”

Angie walked over to the opening as well, looking out into the cavernous throne room. “Is she waiting for us?”

“She doesn’t know we’re here,” Azrael explained. “Not until we actually step into that room.”

“Ah, okay then.” Angie stepped over the tangled briar and into the room. Cold blue eyes immediately fixed on her. The others followed close to Angie.

“You have returned from the dead I see.”

Angie shook her head. “No, the briar took us away, but it didn’t kill us.” All around the thorns tensed up, as if lying in wait. “That’s not it’s purpose, is it? It’s just supposed to keep us out of this room if we cause any trouble, right?”

“What have you come for this time?” Her wintry voice echoed throughout the throne room. “More trouble?”

“No.” Angie lifted her gun, aiming up above the throne, where the mass of vines originated. “We just came for that.”

She fired in the next breath. The bullet flew true to the dead center of the briar. An unexpected sound rang out as the bullet struck something that was unmistakably metal.

The briar rose up behind the group, covering up the exit. Angie pointed her pistol at the ceiling. “You can’t hide it with influence any longer. I saw it right from the beginning. And now that I’ve pointed it out to them,” she nodded to the trio behind her. “They can too.”

Chris squinted at the mass of briar above the throne. He wasn’t exactly sure what he was supposed to be seeing, but something had made that sound…

Suddenly the glamour fell away from his eyes and he could see it clearly, a long sword sticking out of the briar. And that wasn’t all. Buried under that seething mass a shape of a person could be seen. “Wait, is that…?”

“Lilith, I’m here!” Angie shouted, her expression stern. “I told you I would recognize you when I met you! It’s time we finished our game!” She leveled her gun again, looking down the sight. “I’ve still got one piece left on the board.”