‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

14 - The End of the World

They climbed up the throne together, till they perched up at the top side by side, their little legs straining to stand higher and keep steady. Ga’vriel’s eyes were wide as saucers. “She looks just like she used to.” He reached out with his chubby fingers, clasping the hem of her white dress.

Long brown hair so dark that it was nearly black was spread out on the wall behind her. Her bare arms and long legs hung limply. Dried blood stained the pure white of her simple cloth dress. Protruding from the center of her chest was a long, silver sword. The design on the hilt was elaborate: A thorny vine wrapped around the handle. Whomever held this sword would also be stung by those silver thorns.

“She looks so peaceful…” Azrael’s eyes were amazed.

Her eyes were closed, as if she were merely asleep, pinned to the wall above the throne. Her features were just as they remembered. Sharp, delicate chin, and straight nose that was slightly pointed. Long, thick lashes kissed her pale skin.

Ga’vriel took his brother’s hand and squeezed it. “We have to hurry, before she realizes we left our cells.”

Azrael shook himself out of his awe. He looked her over more strategically. “It looks like they just barely missed her heart. Her spine is severed, that’s why she can’t move.”

Ga’vriel stood up on his tiptoes, reaching for the sword handle. Azrael stopped him. “Don’t pull it out. If we can push it in deeper, we should be able to get her heart.” He pointed at the blade. “It gets thicker here.”

“That handle is going to cut and burn us.”

“Then let me do it first.” Azrael reached out and clasped the handle with both hands. He winced as the thorns cut his skin. “Just put your hands over mine.”

Ga’vriel frowned worriedly as he placed his hands over his brother’s. “I can feel her coming down the hall. We have to hurry.”

"Okay, push!"

The sword was wedged into the wall tightly, and the thick stone was more stubborn than they realized. They strained their underdeveloped muscles, gritting their teeth with the effort.

Finally Ga'vriel pulled his hands away. "I can't, she's made us too soft..." Blood stained the silver under his brother's hands. "We should stop. Let's think of something else."

"Maybe if I twist it," Azrael gasped, his voice tight with pain and exertion. The skin touching the silver sizzled, but it was the thorns that hurt the most.

Just as he began turning the blade, darkness flowed into the room with the sound of tattered wings. "Such naughty boys..." The voice echoed all around, cold and cruel.

Ga'vriel's voice rose on panic. "She's here! We have to run!" He grabbed his brother's shoulders.

"We have to finish it!" Millimeter by millimeter the sword turned. Lilith's body jerked. Black thorny vines shot out of the wound in her chest, wrapping around Azrael's wrists and arms. They kept spewing out of her, traveling down the throne and running over the floor.

Ga'vriel pulled on him. "We can't!"

"Just a little more!" Azrael gripped the handle tighter. A single drop of blood fell from the hilt.

Lilith's eyelids fluttered and he paused. Her eyes opened halfway, revealing blue that was clearer than the most perfectly cut sapphire. Twin drops of blood slid down her cheeks like tears. His heart caught in his chest as his grip loosened.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. His dark eyes were wide as his heart clenched tightly. "I'm really sorry..." he said with a sob.

The briar continued to grow. The vines reached up, ready to enclose the two boys. Ga'vriel took advantage of his brother's hesitation and hauled him away from the sword.

The vines snagged their limbs and clothes. Ga'vriel ripped them away as he continued to push forward. The thorns tore into their skin greedily, drawing blood.

Azrael finally recovered himself. He grabbed his brother's hand and they ran for the nearest exit together.

Their way was blocked by an immense shadow that filled the archway. The shadow shrank down into the form of a woman. Pure platinum hair fell to her waist and cold blue eyes fixed on the young pair. "Troublemakers must be punished."

One hand shot out, gripping Ga'vriel by the throat. She lifted him up, his feet dangling two feet from the ground.

"No!" Azrael screamed. He grabbed the woman's free arm and tried to pull her, but she was immovable.

Ga'vriel struggled, kicking his short legs uselessly. He made choking sounds as she squeezed tighter. Finally there was a wet snap, and his limbs went limp.

"Ga'vriel!" Azrael let out an agonized shriek.

She loosened her grip, dropping his brother like a broken doll. Azrael caught him before he could hit the floor, cradling him close.

Before the woman could reach for him as well he ran past her, into the corridor. He ran as fast as desperation could push him, till the smooth corridors turned into rough stone walls.

He paused, checking on his brother. Ga'vriel looked up at him with glassy eyes filled with pain. He couldn't move, but he was still alive.

"Y-you can heal." Azrael's quivering voice echoed through the cavern. "Y-you just need some blood." He brought his wrist to his mouth and sank his fangs into the underside. His blood flowed out freely and he brought the wound to his brother's mouth.

The blood trickled between Ga'vriel's lips, then out of the side of his mouth. "Dammit!" Azrael swore in frustration. Fear was making his whole body tremble. "This was all my idea, I shouldn't have dragged you into this with me. If I hadn’t hesitated..." He scrunched his eyes closed as his chest went tight.

He brought his wrist to his mouth again, drawing in a mouthful of blood. Then he bent down, bringing his mouth to his brother’s. He pushed the blood into Ga’vriel’s mouth, making sure none of it leaked out. He did this over and over, until finally Ga’vriel’s hand twitched.

Azrael grasped him by his shoulders, looking at his face intently. “Can you move?”

Ga’vriel swallowed difficulty. He tried to speak, but only made a gurgling sound. He lifted both hands weakly.

Azrael felt a dark presence then, and turned to it. The black briar continued its rapid growth, filling the halls and down into the caves. Its runners would reach them soon.

“We have to go.” Azrael lifted Ga’vriel again and hurried deeper into the rough caverns.

The air grew colder the further away they got, till the narrow cave opened up into a huge cavern. The walls were black stone and there were white piles here and there on the ground.

He stopped in front of one of the white piles. He’d never seen a substance like this before. He set Ga’vriel down on the stone and touched the top of the pile with his hand. Cold numbed him up his arm. He jerked his hand away.

More fell down from above, but as tiny specks. He turned his eyes to the ceiling. Several perfectly round holes had been carved out, revealing darkness above them that was dotted with twinkling lights.

His eyes widened. Just beyond that ceiling was an infinite amount of space. He’d never set eyes on anything so immense and that realization made the cave suddenly feel cramped.

Ga’vriel shifted on the ground, groaning. Azrael knelt down and helped him to his feet. “We’re going to get away from here,” he said firmly.

“Where are we going?” His voice was dazed and he leaned on Azrael heavily.

“Out. We can go anywhere now.”

Ga’vriel’s eyelids were heavy. “I need to rest first.”

“We don’t have time. She’s coming after us.” Azrael supported him as best as he could, then looked back up at the ceiling. He jumped into the air, bringing Ga’vriel with him. His jump was powerful, but not quite enough to clear the ceiling. He grasped the edge of one of the circular openings with his free hand, his claws digging into the stone.

His brother clung to his other shoulder. Azrael lifted him up, giving him a boost to the ground above. Then he grasped the ledge with both hands. Before he pulled himself up he stared at the clean cut intently. “I think Matsumoto made these with his blade,” he announced as he joined his brother. “But why make more than one?”

“Everyone ran away all at once,” Ga’vriel said softly. He lay on the ground, weak from exertion. “He was probably trying to help the others escape, too.”

“Yeah, that sounds like him.” Azrael surveyed the new landscape. That strange white substance coated everything out here, making every surface blank. All that white contrasted sharply to the brilliantly jeweled space above them.

The wind picked up, sending chills through both boys. “We can’t stay here. we have to keep moving.” Azrael helped his brother back to his feet.

xxxXXXxxx

Angie’s second bullet hit its mark with dead accuracy, right through the center of the platinum-haired woman’s forehead. Her ice-blue eyes widened slightly as she shattered, exploding into raw darkness.

The shadows reared up, towering over the group. A sound like a million bat’s wings fluttering filled the room. “Quickly!” Ga’vriel shouted. “Before she has a chance to reform!”

Angie darted through the shadows, eyes on the throne. The others were right behind her. The briar all moved at once to resist them.

Chris drew a silver machete from his pack and began hacking at the briar. The silver sliced through the vines easily, but he wasn’t fast enough to cut the entire mass. Vines wrapped around his legs and crawled up to his shoulders. “Go on!” he shouted, I’ll hold it off here!”

Azrael hurried after Angie, who had not stopped. Ga’vriel glanced at Chris before following his brother.

Angie was steps away from the throne before she was caught. Several vines wrapped around her right leg and hauled her into the air. She dangled upside down helplessly.

The two vampires immediately went for the vines, claws out, but the shadows covered them. The vines pulled Angie over to where it crested. A face began to form, pale and perfect. “So troublesome,” it sighed.

Angie pressed the barrel of her gun into the center of that unnatural face and fired. The shadows exploded again. The vines still held her up by her ankle.

Underneath her the briar grew thick around her companions, tying them in place. They struggled, but more briar wrapped around them tightly.

Angie tossed her gun aside and drew her knife. She reached up and cut the vines wrapped around her leg. She grabbed onto the thorny vines as she started to fall. She aimed her legs for the throne and let go.

The vines went after her, but she dodged as soon as her feet touched the seat. She scrambled quickly up to the top. She slashed at the briar growing out of Lilith, clearing it away till she could be seen clearly. Then she dropped her knife and reached for the sword handle.

Her gloved hands closed over the handle, but her eyes were on Lilith’s face. She paused, taking in her features. “Now I finally see you.”

“Do it!” Ga’vriel shouted behind her. “You have to do it now!” Thorny vines covered his face.

“Twist the blade!” Azrael shouted. Behind them her brother's bulk couldn’t even be seen in the sea of briar.

Angie brought her other hand to the sword handle, tightening her grasp. The silver spikes tore the fabric of her gloves and scratched her skin. Her gaze was unwavering. “This is my last move, Lilith. Check mate.”

She braced herself as she pulled on the sword with all of her might.