‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

15 - The Eye of the Storm

The stone wall stubbornly held onto the sword’s blade for all of one second, then it slid out easily. Angie stumbled backwards onto the seat of the throne, her good leg keeping her upright. The weight of the sword made her arms sag. The point of it rested on the back of the throne.

The briar coming from Lilith’s chest started to crumble to dust. The effect spread through the rest of the briar, falling away from the trapped group.

Behind Angie came a hair-raising shriek. She spun around in time to see the shadows heading right for her. That pale face had formed again, but this time it was twisted in fury, sharp fangs bared.

Angie didn’t have time to react, much less to dodge or defend herself. Before the shadows could reach her, a slim pale hand reached out in front of her.

The shadows halted inches from Angie. That terrible face let out another enraged shriek. “Your time here is done, for now.” The voice next to Angie was cool and calm, but underneath was a layer of gentleness.

Angie turned her head to find Lilith’s face just inches from hers. One of her hands hovered protectively around Angie’s shoulder, the other still outstretched. Her brilliant blue eyes were focused on the shadows. “You’re no longer needed.”

The shadows broke apart into wisps. Lilith’s lips parted and she breathed in deeply. The scraps of black vapor were quickly pulled in. Lilith’s exhale was a soft sigh. She turned to Angie and smiled warmly. “Thank you, child.”

Angie was completely enthralled by this woman. She stood a full foot taller than her, and her figure was delicate. Her long brown hair fell thick and straight down her back. Her eyes were gorgeous blue orbs that shone with warmth.

Angie felt her cheeks heating up as she continued to stare. “Y-you’re welcome,” she said gruffly.
The three males stood in their spots, though they were no longer held down with briar. They gaped up at the throne.

Angie tried to find her words. “That stuff... That was your influence, right?”

“Yes, I’m afraid it got a bit out of hand while I slept. My apologies for that.” She cupped Angie’s cheek with one hand, her skin cool and soft. With her other hand she straightened out Angie’s short tangled hair. It had gotten extremely messy while she was upside down and Lilith smoothed it out. “You’ve done well, Azrael. She’s worth ten times what you deserve.”

Azrael jerked, the motion looking guilty. “Thank you. I... I know that.”

She turned away from Angie and stepped down from the throne. She smiled at the brothers. “Look at how much you’ve grown.” Her voice filled with pride. She focused on Azrael and her brows pressed together into a slight frown. “Azrael, you’re a mess.” Her tone took on a hint of disapproval.

Azrael squared his shoulders and straightened his posture. “I know.”

She cupped his face with both hands, her thumbs resting on the handkerchief covering his eyes. “You’ll have to take it easy until those grow back.” She smoothed out his collar, though it didn’t help much as his white shirt was still torn and bloodied.

“I will,” he promised.

Ga’vriel stepped up to her, looking nervous. “Are you better now?” he asked worriedly. She was taller than the both of them but he had a hard time looking up at her directly. His eyes kept flitting around nervously.

She looked at him and smiled. “Yes, I’m better now.”

Relief made the tension in his shoulders ease. “Thank goodness…”

Behind them, Chris looked over at Angie, his expression deeply puzzled. He mouthed out a silent question to his sister.

Behind Lilith, Angie shrugged. A flicker of movement caught her eyes by the arch. She saw the faded image of a woman in a white dress, with long brown hair. She stood by the archway, calling out silently. Around the corner a pair of dark-haired boys appeared. They ran up and hugged her tightly around her legs, grinning happily. She placed her hands on the tops of their heads and gave them a tender smile.

Lilith lifted up her hands. “Come now, it’s time for a hug.” Azrael and Ga’vriel immediately wrapped their arms around her, leaning their heads on her shoulders. She put her hands to the backs of their heads. She pressed her cheek to the top of Ga’vriel’s head, then the other to Azrael’s. “My boys…” she whispered to them.

Angie hopped down from the throne, a smile on her face. “So that’s it.” She walked over to Chris and hooked one arm around his. She hugged it tightly. She still held the silver sword in her free hand, though gently. “I’m gonna keep this. It’s going on my wall.”

“Good luck getting it on the plane,” Chris told her. “I am deeply confused by all of this, and I’m worried that this is becoming a trend.”

“Geez, just enjoy a happy family moment for once.”

His brow wrinkled. “Family?” He looked back over at the trio and his expression cleared. “Oh…”

Ga’vriel pulled away from Lilith first. “How is this possible?” he asked. “Manigault said…”

“You have been deceived,” she told him seriously. “Manigault was as well. His eyes might see all truths, but his ears are as dumb as a doorstop.” She frowned deeply.

“Why did they do that to you?” Azrael asked. “Why did they try to kill you?” Ga’vriel looked over at the wall that Lilith had been pinned to. The wall was cracked and stained with dried blood.

Her deep blue eyes filled with sadness. “All of my princes were deceived.” Her voice lowered to a murmur. “His whispered lies infected them all…” She looked over at Angie and her voice rose. “Our reunion will have to be continued another time. I have been away far too long and there is much I need to see with my own eyes. You should all head back for now.”

Angie was disappointed at the thought of parting with this gentle beauty. “We’ll see you again soon, right? You’re always welcome in New York.”

Lilith stepped away from Ga’vriel and Azrael, approaching her. Angie dropped Chris’ arm. “Will you miss me, child?” Lilith asked wryly.

Angie nodded, feeling a bit miserable. “If you weren’t there encouraging me, then I wouldn’t have been able to come to this place and rescue all of you.”

Lilith let out a laugh that was little more than a breathless whisper. “I tried to dissuade you at every turn…”

“Exactly.” Angie’s expression was firm, but her light brown eyes were soft. “I know what you were trying to do, and thank you.”

Lilith’s eyes were warm as she put her hands on Angie’s shoulders. “You would make such a lovely prince,” she said wistfully. “My loveliest yet, I think.”

Angie’s cheeks reddened again. “That’s not a road I want to take,” she said, though her words were hesitant. “I like the one I’m on currently.”

“Such a shame… But, if you change your mind all you have to do is ask.” She placed the tip of her forefinger into Angie’s chest. “Use that to call for me, and I will come no matter where I am.”

“We’ll see,” Angie told her. “Though I don’t think I’m going to change my mind.” She clasped Lilith’s wrist. “I do have a question, though. How come I can’t see through your influence?” She looked over at Azrael and Ga’vriel. They both had gray skin and sharp claws. Ga'vriel's eyes were black, with red orbs in the centers.

Lilith laughed her soft laugh. “I don’t use influence to mask my appearance. I am how you see me.”

Angie’s eyes widened as she looked back at her. “Then… you’re not a vampire.”

“It’s true that I did create them, though.”

Angie stared up at her wordlessly, the cogs in her brain turning. Those blue eyes… she’d seen them before. Steven had eyes like that, so completely mesmerizing that he needed glasses to hide behind. Nymph had them too.

Realization ran through her like a lightning strike. “Wait! But-” She looked back over at the vampires. “That means-” She mouthed wordlessly as a million questions formed in her head. They all crowded around, trying to get picked first. “How…?” she finally asked helplessly.

Lilith’s gentle smile was unwavering. “Maybe I’ll tell you some other time. For now you must go back home. If you hurry, you’ll make it back in time to stop him.”

“Him?”

“The one that started all of this,” She looked back at the cracked wall sadly. “Cain.”

xxxXXXxxx

Sibyl approached the bed hesitantly. The room was completely dark, even though she had long grown used to artificial light. She looked at the lump in the blankets. “Callie, it’s time to eat.”

The lump shifted, but listlessly. Sibyl knelt down onto the bed, white bottle in hand. “I heated it up for you. It should be just right.”

She lifted a corner of the blanket, revealing a hand and wrist that was little more than bone with skin stretched over it. “You have to eat,” her voice was thick with emotion.

The hand shrank away, deeper under the blanket. Sybil persisted, pulling the whole thing back.

Callie lay on her back, staring blankly upwards, her eyes the color of milk. Her mouth moved as if she were speaking, but no sounds emerged from her lips. The skin on her cheeks was sunken in and she had deep shadows under her eyes.

Sibyl opened the bottle and brought it close to her. Callie didn’t turn to her as she lifted one hand and smacked it away. Blood splattered the sheet. “Callie please, you have to drink it.”

“He’s coming, Lissie.”

The words were a bare whisper. Sibyl leaned close to her. “What?”

“Papa’s coming home, Lissie. He’s not going to be in a good mood when he finds the mess we made.”

“I don’t understand, Callie. Who’s Papa? Your father is dead, remember? He’s buried in Queens with your mom.”

“Papa is Papa to all of us. He’s going to take Mama away this time, though. I’m going to miss her. She seemed nice.” Her hands twitched and her eyes widened, as if she could see through those blind orbs. “He doesn’t want me to say anything, but he can’t stop me. He’ll punish me, but I’m still not going to behave. I’m such a bad girl...”

Her eyes closed then, and her body went limp. Sybil grasped her quickly and was relieved to find her merely sleeping. She held onto Callie for a long moment, face buried in the nape of her neck. “I wish Angie were here, she’d know what to do.”

She released Callie reluctantly. “I’m going to go get the next best thing. You wait here.”

xxxXXXxxx

There was a sharp tap on the door. Arthur looked up from the vegetables he was dicing. Vivian would be home from work soon and he wanted dinner ready for her when she arrived.

He placed the knife down on the cutting board and wiped his hands on a dish towel while he walked to the door. He opened the door and surprised to see Sibyl standing there, her face shrouded by her hoodie. “Angie’s not here,” he told her.

“I know.” Sybil shuffled nervously, her hands in her pockets. “I need your help.”

“Mine?” he asked in confusion.

She reached up and pulled her hood down. Her eyes were bright red. “I need you to help Callie, please,” she asked desperately. “Angie’s mom is a nurse, right? I need the both of you. Please, I’m begging.”

Arthur looked at her for a long moment. “Let me get my coat.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: We've officially reached the halfway point for this, the final book. I want to thank everyone that's come this far with me, and I promise to make the second half everything you guys have wanted out of this series and more.

The first two books have been published in digital and paperback formats, and the third book is in the pipeline. So, if you love this series and want to support me, then please share with your friends, leave reviews for the books on amazon or google play, or even buy them yourselves. My biggest dream is to support myself with my writing, so that I would be able to spend all my time writing books.