‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

18 - Dance With the Devil

Dexter’s eyes adjusted to the dim light by degrees. First he could make out the outlines of the expansive office, then the wide desk, and finally the figure seated in the large chair. A pair of red eyes glowed from the shadows. They narrowed as they looked over the two men. “Simon, you said I would be impressed.” The voice was soft, but slithered to each corner of the room.

Simon grinned easily, completely at ease. “Don’t let his appearance fool you. He might look like a duff, but he’s worth his salt.”

Dexter threw his best friend a warning glance. “Oy…”
Adamson leaned both of his elbows on the desk, entwining his fingers together. “Well then, impress me.”

Dexter turned his attention back to the man behind the desk. “My name is Dexter Barnes, I’m currently a Professor at Saint Katrina’s School in Paris.” He took a step forward. “Before I took that position I was a researcher and the British Library. It’s truly an honor to meet you. I’ve read your book.” He opened the flap of his satchel and rummaged through it.

Adamson’s voice was silky with amusement. “Ah yes, ‘The Successful Billionaire’. Currently number three on the bestsellers lists.” He stood up, putting his hands behind his back. “Do you want me to sign your copy?”

Dexter pulled out a package wrapped in cloth. He peeled off the cloth carefully, revealing an ancient tome bound in brittle leather. “This is yours, correct?”

There was a brief second, the barest of moments, where absolute silence fell. In the next instant Adamson was standing over Dexter, red eyes burning. “Where did you get that?” His voice echoed from all around, and the heat was sucked from the room.

Dexter didn’t blink. His glasses drooped down his nose but he didn’t adjust them. “I stole it,” he answered simply.

Adamson’s head tilted to an unnatural angle. “From where?”

“The British Library. I found it among the basement stacks. It’s written in Classic Hebrew, but there was something compelling about it. I’ve spent the better part of half a decade translating it.” His hand moved over the book protectively, almost possessively.

“And you’ve read all of it?” Adamson’s voice was little more than a hiss.

Here Dexter hesitated, his eyes dropping. “Mostly. Translation has not been easy.” He brought his gaze back up, his expression frank. “Your handwriting is atrocious.”

A low chuckle broke the moment. Dexter blinked and Adamson was seated behind his desk. His elbows leaned on the table, his fingers laced together. “You’ve delivered once again, Simon.”

Simon gave the desk a short bow, his grin unwavering. “Don’t I always?”

“So, Professor Barnes, what is it you hope to accomplish here? Simon has told you of our plans, correct?”

Dexter glanced at Simon briefly. “He’s told me some, though I suspect not everything. My hope is to continue my research. I want to know about everything that’s happened that can’t be found in any history books. I want to write a book of my own, one of a kind in all the world. I want to start at the beginning, with Lilith and the destruction of the Fey, and work my way through the four families, all the way up to today with everything you’ve accomplished.”

“And what do you have to give in return?” Those red eyes narrowed into slits, but there was amusement in them as well.

“The benefits of my research.” He lifted up the book. “I’ll fill in all the gaps, and let your story finally be told.”

“He was there when Manigault was destroyed,” Simon added. “He could tell you about his final moments and the birth of a new family, led by Nora Brun.”

Dexter adjusted his glasses. “Nora is still my student. She’s powerful, and highly intelligent, but she has a bit of maturing to do before she can successfully lead a family.”

“Looks like you’ll be showing Professor Barnes to his new office next,” Adamson commented. “We’ll meet again next week after you’re settled.”

Dexter took a step towards the desk. “You can call me Dexter,” he said earnestly. Then his voice faltered. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to call you Cain.” His grip on the book tightened. “I feel like I already know you so well.”

Behind him, Simon’s eyes widened, his smile dropping. Adamson leaned back in his chair while he considered this. “Do as you wish.”

Now it was Dexter’s turn to smile. “It’s a pleasure working with you, Cain.”

Cain waved them away with one hand, the gesture indifferent. “You can show yourselves out.”

Dexter headed for the door, but Simon stayed. “I’ll be with you in a moment,” he whispered.

Dexter gave him a puzzled look, but left the office. After he was gone, Simon approached the desk. “There is another matter I want to bring up now, while I have the chance.”

Adamson raised one eyebrow. “Is Doctor Smythe being difficult again?”

Simon left out a harried sigh. “Of course he is. He’s willing to complete his research for us, but he insists that he’ll only use one person as a subject.”

“He has his heart set on someone special, then?”

“Apparently. I’ve already sent out operatives to fetch her.” Simon’s hand clenched into a fist and he scowled irritably. “They’ve all been thwarted by a homeless, middle-aged, drunkard.”

“What do you need from me? More operatives?”

Simon glanced at Miss Smith, who had been standing next to the door this entire time. “Hopefully someone that can at least take on a retired hunter.”

Adamson looked at the blond Miss Smith. As if receiving a silent order, she turned and exited the room. “I’m afraid Smith is far too precious a resource to put at risk.”

Simon’s shoulders slumped. “I guess I’ll take another crack at our good doctor, then.”

Adamson rose from his chair. “I didn’t say I wouldn’t offer you any assistance. If Gregori Smythe says that only one woman is suitable, then we have to trust his judgement. He knows his own research better than we can fathom.”

“Do you want to send an entire squad this time?” Simon asked in confusion.

The door opened again and Miss Smith entered, a long black coat folded over one arm. “That won’t be necessary,” Adamson said, his lips pulling back over his fangs. Miss Smith held the coat out for him, then assisted in pulling it up over his shoulders. He adjusted the collar himself. “Besides, I’d like to meet this old hunter in person.” He pulled a pair of ruby-colored sunglasses out of his coat pocket and slipped them on. “Smith, cancel my three o’clock.”

Simon watched him walk to his personal elevator and his hands relaxed. “Should I text you her details?”

“I already know who she is.”

“I’ll get the lab ready for your return, then.”

Adamson’s grin widened as the elevator doors opened. He stepped inside and turned. “Oh, don’t wait up.” The silver doors closed.

xxxXXXxxx

Arthurs hands tightened on the wheel as the car slowly crawled on the expressway. “We’re not going to make it till after dinner time, looks like.”

Vivian put a hand over his. “We’ll grab something to eat while we’re out.” She frowned at the worried look in his eyes and his tensed shoulders. “That can’t be the only thing bothering you.”

“No, there’s also what you’re gonna tell Angie when your brothers kill me.”

“They’re my family, Arthur, they’re not going to kill you.”

“Oh yes they will,” he nodded matter-of-factly. “All I have to do is introduce myself as Arthur Statton; the man who got their sister pregnant when she was nineteen, then disappeared. After that, they’ll only have to worry about which bridge they’re gonna throw my corpse off of.”

“I was twenty-one!” She punched his arm, and not lightly.

He gave her some side-eye. “You’re seriously still sticking to that?”

Traffic thinned out and Arthur gratefully stepped on the gas. Vivian looked out the window. “I won’t let them bother you, it’ll be fine. Just trust me.”

“I trust you, Viv, but I’m not going to stop them if they want to beat the life out of me. I deserve it.”

“Please don’t say things like that. You had your reasons.” Her tone turned dull. “I wouldn’t want Angie growing up the way you did.”

He took one hand off the wheel and placed it over hers. “Still, I want to show you that I’m committed to you now. I’m not going to disappear on you again.”

Without taking his eyes off the road he removed his hand from hers and reached into his pocket. The smooth velvet box sat at the bottom. He gripped it. “I wanted to find a better time to do this, but it’ll have to be now, before I meet your family.” He pulled the box out of his pocket.

Vivian wasn’t listening, however. She was staring more intently outside her window. Most of the cars were gone now, turning off exits and emptying the expressway. No new ones were getting on, either. She checked the time on her phone. “It’s usually much more crowded at this time, right?”

Suddenly a figure clad in black appeared in the road in front of them. Arthur dropped the box as he simultaneously slammed on the brakes while also putting his arm over Vivian’s chest, bracing her against the seat. The velvet box hit the floor by her feet.

Despite his quick reflexes, Arthur’s car was as old as he was, and the brakes were reluctant at best. The car didn’t stop in time before it reached the stranger.

The man stood there, unperturbed as the two-ton machine attempted to collide with him. Just inches away there was the sound of impact as the metal hood crumpled in on itself. The man’s black coat fluttered in the breeze. The setting sun reflected off his ruby-colored sunglasses.

Vivian stared out the windshield with wide eyes. “We hit him…” she breathed.

“No, we didn’t.” Arthur’s expression was grim. “Stay here.” He opened the driver’s door.

Vivian grabbed the sleeve of his coat. “No, don’t.”

“I’ll be fine.” He pulled away from her and exited the car.

He studied the vampire intently, keeping his expression neutral. The vampire in black, however, grinned maliciously. “Ooh, that’s a nasty ding,” he said, meaning the front of the car, which was totaled.

“I have insurance,” Arthur told him. He stepped sideways, away from the car. He circled around the vampire. The road was completely clear now, a sure sign of the power of his opponent’s influence.

The vampire turned his head, looking at Arthur over his glasses. Red eyes glimmered with interest. “You remind me of someone.”

“I’m sure you’ve heard of me from somewhere.” Old habits died hard, so Arthur reached for the knife at his hip, hidden under his coat and sweater.

“No, it’s more than that,” the vampire continued, unconcerned. “You remind me of an old enemy, or an old friend.” He chuckled. “Both, actually.”

“No one has to get hurt here,” Arthur gave him one warning.

“That’s no fun, now is it?” His grin widened, his sharp fangs showing.

Arthur steeled himself, ready for anything. Except for what happened next.

xxxXXXxxx

Sybil stroked Callie’s hair softly, murmuring gently. “Please wake up, I don’t know what to do like this. You made me so strong so I could protect you, but this isn’t something I can punch or bite. Tell me who’s doing this to you.”

Callie’s lips parted. “He’s here, Lissie,” she sighed softly, her eyes closed.

Sybil started. “Callie!” She grabbed her shoulders. “Open your eyes.”

Callie’s eyes shot open, revealing a blood red skin that covered her pupils. “He’s going to take Mama away this time.” Her whole body twitched. “I can’t let him.”

Her limbs gave another jerk while Sybil looked on helplessly. “What are you doing?”

Callie sat up abruptly, blind eyes turned on Sybil. “I can’t let him,” she repeated.

Suddenly Sybil was pushed back into the wall. Callie gripped her shoulders tightly, fangs bared. She buried them into the young vampire’s neck.

Sybil offered no resistance, even though she was in pain. She put her arms around Callie, embracing her gently. “Take it, then. Do what you have to do. If this is what you need from me, then take it all.”

Callie stiffened, then pulled back. Her eyes were clear, shining bright red in the dim light. Blood stained her lips. “Sybil?”

Blood still leaked from the wound on her neck, but Sybil smiled. “You’re back…” She put a hand on Callie’s cheek and leaned forward. She brought their lips together. When she pulled away, her lips were also stained. “I’m so glad…”

Callie’s lips trembled. “Sybil… oh Sybil, I’m so sorry…” Her shoulders started to shake.

“Don’t be sorry. I’ll be fine. I’m just so glad you’re awake.”

Callie put her hands on Sybil’s ruined t-shirt and bowed her head. “He won’t let me go. He won’t let any of us go. I can still see him, in my head. He’s going to take her, and make Angie sad.”

“Then we’ll just have to stop him, won’t we?”

Callie’s expression was heartrending. “We’re not going to be in time.”

“Just tell me what to do, Callie. We have to do what we can.”

Callie’s expression hardened, becoming determined. “Then go get that bluetooth earpiece I got you for your birthday. I can’t leave or he’ll notice. I can instruct you from here, though.”

Sybil let out a small groan. “Great, I’m going to save the day looking like a total douche.”

xxxXXXxxx

There was the sound of a gunshot and breaking glass. The vampire looked down at his coat, his expression mildly surprised. There was a hole in the front. “That’s unfortunate.” He looked through the broken windshield. Vivian held a gun with both trembling hands.

Arthur didn’t waste time being surprised. He started for the vampire, the blade of his knife gleaming. The vampire turned swiftly, stepping aside. Arthur pulled back, avoiding his claws. He had the monster’s attention now, so he pulled back further while dodging, looking for and opening. Any place he could stick his knife that would give him a reliable hit.

A scream cause him to shift his attention back to the car. The vampire stood on the top, Vivian grasped tightly. Arthur blinked in surprise. The passenger door had been completely torn off. When had that happened?

The vampire sucked his teeth. “Looks like you’re not as fun as advertised, if you could be fooled that easily. Oh well.”

Arthur started running back to the car. Before he reached it, both the vampire and Vivian vanished.
He looked all around the deserted area, but there was no movement, nothing. They were gone without a trace.