‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

22 - Like a Hole in the Head

“So, how do we do this?” Chris said over the top of the parked car. They stood in the parking garage underneath Enoch Industries’ newest building. Sibyl had gone on ahead, following Callie’s instructions.

Angie looked at her equipment spread out on the hood. She selected a silver 9mm and checked the clip. Once she was satisfied she put it in her holster. “I’m going to go upstairs, and politely ask for my mother back,” she stated.

“Politely?” Chris chose one of the shotguns and strapped it to his back. He grabbed a sidearm as well. He looked over at Donovan. “Are you sure influence is going to cover all of this? New York is not an open carry state.”

“Between the two of them, aye.” Donovan nodded to Azri and Gabriel.

Nymph hugged Angie suddenly. “I’m so sorry we can’t stay and help.”

Angie shook her head. “Don’t be, Nymph. You and Donovan have to get back and protect the ship. If Cain finds out you’re in the city, then you’re all in danger.”

Nymph murmured into Angie’s ear. “It might sound cliche, but please believe in your own strength. Do not rely heavily on what was borrowed.”

Angie pulled away, but slowly. “I’m only as strong as my friends, you know that by now.”

“And you know that’s not what I mean,” Nymph replied sternly.

Angie felt the black shard in her heart twist and let out a sigh. “I’ll be careful.”

After they were ready, Nymph climbed back into their car. They waited patiently for Donovan who stood over Gabriel and Azri. He was a full foot taller than the both of them and they looked up at him uneasily.

Without warning he wrapped the brothers up into a hug. “I’m sorry I didn’t see you,” he whispered to Azri. “You have each other again after all this time, so please, please, be careful up there.” He buried his face in their shoulders.

Gabriel closed his eyes and returned the hug with one arm. Azri looked away and patted Donovan awkwardly. “We promise,” they both said at the same time.

Nymph leaned out of the passenger's window. “Donovan,” they said softly.

“I know, I know.” Donovan pulled away and climbed into the car. He started the engine while covering a loud sniff. Angie, Chris, and the two vampires headed for the elevator.

xxxXXXxxx

Sibyl slipped silently around the outside of the black spire. The bluetooth earpiece she wore chimed in her ear. She pressed a button on the side. “Callie, you can’t call me this soon,” she whispered urgently. “He’ll-” She paused. “What? Stop swearing. Who’s gone ahead?” She listened to a moment, then swore under her breath. “I’ll go, but I might not make it to the roof in time.” She started moving again. “Okay, okay, I know.”

xxxXXXxxx

The freight entrance had been almost hilariously under-guarded. Arthur had slipped through and avoided the cameras with little effort. There were no security officers around, or anyone else for that matter. The vampire that had taken Vivian was certainly arrogant. Arthur would be sure to cure him of that flaw.

He hadn’t promised Callie he’d avoid liquor stores, and he’d certainly passed a good many on his way, but he had promised Vivian. She didn’t want to give him that ultimatum, to take away his coping mechanism right away, but he had given up hunting and without one there was no use for the other.

He’d made that vow all on his own and the past few months had gone better than he’d ever expected. Living with the love of his life and even helping his daughter through her physical therapy. It was the kind of life he’d never even dared dream of.

So he would be completely sober during this fight, and he could feel that rustling of dry leaves inside of him, stirring awake. It was a numbness that had overcome him before he’d found relief at the bottom of a bottle. It was neither cold nor hot, simply dead.

Warmth, humor, kindness; they were all facades to try to hide this blank emptiness that resided at his core. All of his gentleness had been hollowed out of him at a young age. It had to go, in order for him to kill.

It was fine, in the end. Angie had more than enough mercy for the two of them. He hadn’t recognized it at first, but that tenderness in her brown eyes had come from him. Vivian’s sharp practicality could only go so far in the kindness department, and Angie was kind to the point of folly. She was what he could have grown up into, had his circumstances been different. Like if his father had died when he was born, instead of fifteen years later.

His introspective reverie was broken when he came across his first obstacle. A tall woman wearing a black business suit. Her long blond hair was shorn close to her skin on one side and silver glasses hid her eyes.

He didn’t bother hiding. She was walking right towards him. “Only authorized personnel are allowed in here,” she told him firmly.

His instincts were warning him of danger, but she didn’t appear to be a bloodsucker. He wasn’t letting down his guard, but that didn’t mean he had to be impolite. “I’m just here to pick up Vivian Garcia. Just bring her down and I’ll get out of your hair.”

“There’s no one here by that name.” Her chin was set and her mouth was a thin line. She saw him as a threat, but not one she couldn’t handle.

“Oh, I’m sorry. She goes by Ecklund now. My mistake.”

She lifted her hand up and he tensed, but she just removed her glasses. Bright blue eyes were revealed. They glowed hypnotically. “It is time for you to leave.”

He’d spent enough time around vampiric influence to be able to spot it a mile away, and this was definitely not it. He was mesmerized by those eyes, unable to look away. He stood his ground though, he’d fought against influence long enough to maintain his stance. “I’m leaving with Mrs. Ecklund,” he asserted.

“That was your last warning.” She pocketed her glasses in her jacket pocket and removed a thin, metal baton. With a flick of her wrist it extended. There was a hum of electricity in the air.

xxxXXXxxx

Angie and her gang exited the elevator into the main lobby. She headed up the group, walking purposefully to the front desk. A perky receptionist with short hair and a bright smile greeted them. “Welcome to Enoch Industries.”

“I want to speak to Mr. Adamson.” Angie cut to the chase. Why fight through the dungeon when you could just go to the final boss?

The receptionist blinked. “Do you have an appointment?” He turned his attention to the computer monitor hidden behind his counter.

“Just tell him I’m here to pick up Vivian Ecklund.”

The receptionist put his hands together delicately. “I’m afraid I can’t do that…”

Azri put a hand on Angie’s shoulder. “I’ll take over from here.” He directed her to the side, nearly pushing her into Gabriel. She gave him an indignant look, but didn’t say anything. She could feel the surge of influence practically pouring out of him.

He looked across the counter at the young man, who looked back nervously. “Now, how does this work…” He leaned forward. “We would like to speak with Mr. Adamson.” Influence resonated thickly in his voice.

The receptionist's eyes went a little vague, but then he shook himself. “I would love to help you, but he’s booked all day…” He gestured helplessly at his monitor.

Azri leaned over further, so he could look at the monitor as well. “Ah, but he has an opening.” He placed his finger on the screen and looked back at the man. “Right now.”

The receptionist’s lips parted as he stared into Azri’s eyes. “You’re right, of course.” He laughed breathlessly. “Silly me.” Without looking away he placed an open notebook up on the counter. “Please sign in and I’ll get your cards ready.”

Angie signed their names while the receptionist swiped four cards through a strip at the side of his monitor. “You’re all set,” he said with a smile that was only for Azri.

“Excellent,” Azri said while Angie and Gabriel retrieved the cards and lanyards. “Now, tell me; is there a number or address I could reach you in the future…?”

Chris grabbed Azri by the back of his sweater and hauled him away from the counter. “Okay, that’s enough. Time to stay focused.” He practically dragged the vampire over to the elevator.

Azri twisted out of his grasp. “I am focused,” he said indignantly. “But it’s always good to plan for the future. Just in case we live through this.”

Chris pulled his lanyard on over his head and shoved Azri’s badge into his chest. “Flirt on your own time.”

They stepped into another elevator and Azri looked positively cheerful. “Who knew influence was this useful? I can make anyone do whatever I want.” He grinned at Chris, his fangs showing.

Chris frowned disapprovingly. “That’s a frightening thought.”

“Isn’t it though?”

Meanwhile Gabriel was staring off into space. Angie nudged him. “Are you sure you’re up to this?”

He nodded. “I’m fully healed now.”

“Physically, maybe, but you’ve been through a lot in a short amount of time. You’ve lost half your influence and you look like someone threw your brain into a blender.”

“I definitely feel that way, but…” He took her hand in his. “If we’re going to pick up the pieces after this, then we have to settle the past. Cain is the one that tried to kill Lilith. He’s the one that started all of this.”

Angie looked down at their hands. “He also has my mother.”

“All the more reason not to put this off.”

“Do you think we’ll have to fight him?” Azri asked suddenly.

“I hope not, but I don’t see any way of avoiding it,” Gabriel answered.

“That’s a shame, but at least we still have Mom.” Azri shrugged.

“Lilith is your mom, so Cain’s your dad, right?” Angie asked. Azri nodded. “I’m not going to go easy on him just because of that.”

“I wouldn’t expect you to. It’s not like we have any fond memories making us sentimental.” Azri leaned against the wall of the elevator with his arms folded. “It was his whispered lies that turned them all against her.”

Angie studied Gabriel critically. “Well then, you’d better put your game face on.”

He looked at her. “You’re right.” Before her eyes he changed. His uncertain melancholy melted away as he straightened his shoulders and set his expression into one of lazy arrogance. He put his hands in his pockets and walked over to the elevator doors just as the car slowed to a halt.

She felt her heart begin to pound as she studied the lines of his shoulders and back. It didn’t matter how different he looked now, this was the Gabriel she had fallen for.

Azri pushed away from the wall and joined his brother, his posture mirrored perfectly. There was a ding, and the doors slid open.

xxxXXXxxx

The door to Cain’s office opened and the curly-haired Smith entered. “Smith has found a rat down at the freight entrance and four more are in the elevator now to see you.”

Cain sat in his chair, hands folded over his stomach. His eyes were closed behind his ruby glasses. “It seems we’re being infiltrated from all sides. There is another rat scurrying about in the garden.”

“Shall I call the other Smiths?”

He lifted one hand. “No, don’t worry them. I’ll take care of it.” His eyes opened slowly. “I just need a little refreshment before I do.”

Smith reflexively clutched her wrist. “Does it have to be me this time?”

“Now now, your sisters have covered for you quite enough. Everyone has a turn, it’s only fair.”

She set her jaw and walked over to a cabinet against the far wall. She opened it and pulled out a glass goblet. She clutched the stem tightly and walked over to the desk. She placed the goblet down in the center.

His hand was up, proffering her the handle of an open pocket knife. She took it from him, but hesitated. She looked at him over her mirrored glasses, her eyes glowing bright blue.

He looked up at her, red eyes glowing over ruby glasses. “One quarter blood is far too little fey to sway me,” he told her. “I’ve slaughtered hundreds of purebloods, and only one has ever been able to draw me in with those eyes.”

“You slaughtering them all is why you only have quarter-bloods left,” Smith remarked. She cut into the inside of her wrist with the knife, letting her blood drip out into the goblet. She grunted against the pain, but didn’t allow her expression to change.

“Look how well I take care of you all now.” Cain smiled. “I do learn my lessons from past mistakes.”