‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

24 - Love Lies Bleeding

Arthur and Franz didn’t waste time sizing each other up. The fight broke out with sickening ferocity. Franz charged right away, dodging Arthur’s bullets. He connected with the human with a swipe of his hand, sending Arthur reeling.

Arthur kept his feet, and was still spry enough that the blow was merely a graze. He flipped the rifle around and swung the butt of it like a bat. The silver base connected with the side of Franz’ head solidly, sending the vampire into a framed painting of wildflowers.

The walls in this hallway were too close for guns to be effective, so Arthur dropped the rifle, reaching into his long coat.

Franz recovered quickly, faster than any bloodsucker Arthur had dealt with before. The skin on the side of his face was red, but wasn’t sizzling from the silver. Before Arthur could reach his machete, Franz barreled into him, driving him to the floor.

Deadly claws were millimeters from his neck when a black blur slammed into Franz. Both figures shot down the hallway, rolling on the floor in a snarling tangle.

Arthur got to his feet as Sybil broke away from Franz. There was a gash on the side of her face, cutting across her cheek. She growled as she pulled a broken bluetooth earpiece from her ear and tossed it aside. “You’re paying for that.”

Franz got to his feet fluidly. He settled into a fighting stance as his red eyes calculated this new threat.

“You’re not supposed to be here, Sybil,” Arthur said sternly. “Callie told you to be somewhere else.”

“I have a minute to spare,” she said with a grim smile. “Though I’m cutting this really close.

He stepped up beside her. “In that case you leave in one minute, no matter what happens.”

She glanced at him. His expression was cold, his eyes on Franz. “No matter what, then.”

She stepped forward first, grappling Franz. The once-ancient vampire fought with renewed strength and it was all Sybil could do to swing him around, right into Arthur’s swung machete.

The sharp silver sliced through Franz’ shirt and left an angry red line from his stomach up to his collarbone, but did not penetrate his skin. The vampire let out a harsh, mad laugh, his fangs gleaming. He seemed exhilarated by his invulnerability. “You can do nothing to me!” He flung Sybil off of him. She crashed through a door to the side.

Franz attacked Arthur with his claws and the human parried with the machete. With another swipe, the machete blade was in two pieces. Arthur back up quickly, pulling a short knife from its sheath at his side.

With a cry Sybil pounced on Franz from behind. She grasped him under the arms, pinning him in place. Arthur stepped forward, putting the full force of the movement behind his thrust. The knife pierced Franz just under his ribcage. He snarled in both pain and indignation.

“Go now,” Arthur told Sybil.

Franz struggled mightily in her grasp. Despite his wound he was still a force to be reckoned with, and now he was pissed. “But…”

“It’s been a minute.” His voice was firm. “You have more important matters to get to.”

Sybil studied his face for a second, her expression both worried and pitying. “Callie told you, didn’t she?”

“You’re wasting time.” He grunted with effort as he drove the knife deeper into Franz. The vampire snapped at him, fangs yearning to rip into his flesh. Arthur braced a forearm across his collarbone. “Get out of here.”

Sibyl looked past him, down the hall to the elevator. She knew what was at stake with every second that passed. She closed her eyes, making her decision. “Fine.” Her grip on Franz loosened. She took a step back and planted her foot in the middle of his back.

Arthur stepped to the side as she kicked Franz hard. Once his stance was unstable she kicked him again, this time in the side, sending him into the wall.

“Don’t you die on me, Arthur Statton!” Sibyl yelled as she ran to the elevator. She jabbed the button and turned around as the doors slid open. “Make sure you bring home Angie’s Mom safe and sound!”

Arthur spared her a few words as her hand hovered over the elevator buttons. “As long as you make sure Angie is home waiting for her when I get there!”

“Right.” Sybil nodded as she thought quickly. She knew that there was no way she was gonna make it to the lobby in time and conferring with Callie in this building put everyone in danger. “Screw it,” she muttered as she jabbed the button for the fiftieth floor. “Time to improvise.”

The doors closed, giving her a last glimpse of Arthur’s back as the fight started anew.

xxxXXXxxx

Dexter helped Vivian up from the floor while Simon stood in the doorway, looking out into the lab. Once she was sitting safely on the cot Dexter spared a look to his best friend, whose face was pale. “What’s wrong?”

“Smith is dead,” he replied hollowly. His voice lowered to a whisper. “He’s gone mad…”

Dexter went over the situation in his head and his expression turned grimly stern. “We have to get Mrs. Ecklund out of here, then.”

Simon shook himself and turned to Dexter. “What?”

“This whole plan of his is falling apart. Who knows what he’s going to do to her next.” Vivian broke away from his grasp and turned to the side sharply so she could throw up on the floor. “None of us are safe here.”

Simon trembled at his words. “What are we supposed to do, then?”

“She needs to be able to walk, for one thing.” Dexter frowned.

“Right.” Simon hurried over to the glass cabinets, hunting for what he needed. He twisted the cap off of an orange bottle and retrieved a tablet. “Put this under your tongue.”

Vivian wiped at her mouth sluggishly. Dexter took the pill from Simon and put it in her mouth. She complied without resistance and soon her eyes were clear. She got to her feet and found she could stand unassisted.

“Where’s Arthur?” she asked immediately.

“He’s a bit busy right now,” Simon answered nervously. “Let’s go upstairs and tell Adamson what’s going on.”

Dexter offered his arm to Vivian, in case she still felt dizzy. “Send him an email. We’re getting out of this building.”

Simon was looking back out into the lab. “The only problem with either plan is that the only way out is through that hallway.” They could hear the crashing and fighting from over a room away.

Vivian ignored Dexter’s arm and walked over to the door. She nudged Simon out of the way, who complied without protest. She rifled through the pockets of the labcoat hanging on the back of the door. She found the dart gun and her derringer, as well as a small velvet box.

She held the box in her hand and blinked at it in confusion. During the car accident it had fallen out of Arthur’s pocket. She’d found it while she was retrieving her derringer from her purse. Somehow it had made its way all the way here. Her memory was hazy, but she must have been holding onto it that whole time.

Her fingers tightened over it till they turned white. “Excuse me,” she said as she walked past Simon.
Smith lay on the lab floor, bloody and still. Vivian kept her eyes on the open door while she knelt down next to her. She placed two fingers on the girl’s neck, then reached over and pushed down her eyelids. She straightened back up, her hand tightening around her derringer.

She could see the battle from here, what was left of it. Arthur was past the point where he was able to put up much of a fight. Franz was just playing with him at this point.

Arthur was bleeding from his mouth and his left eye was nearly swollen shut. His movements were sluggish and uncoordinated. Blood stained his T-shirt and his jeans were torn at the knee.

The back of Franz’ shirt was bloody and full of holes, but the skin underneath was smooth and unblemished. His movements were fresh and fluid. He punched Arthur again, this time sending the human to the floor. Arthur tried to regain his feet, but his limbs refused to follow instructions properly.

Vivian held her derringer up during these events, following Franz movements carefully with the sight. She ignored his broad back, instead taking the extra time to aim for the back of his head. She knew it was a tougher shot, but it was the only one she could make.

It also meant she had to wait for him to stay still long enough for her to fire, while he killed the man she loved.

Franz knelt down over Arthur, claws drawn, looking for the perfect place to cut him open. “Do allow me a moment to enjoy this.” His lips pulled back over his fangs. “It truly has been a long time since I’ve slaughtered someone.”

Arthur fought with everything he had left, but Franz just gripped him by the throat and pinned him down. He thrust his claws into Arthur’s stomach, causing the human to cry out. Blood spread quickly over the remaining clean portion of his shirt.

A single gunshot rang out. Franz’ eyes widened as a line of blood split his cheekbone. He turned in surprise, standing up.

Vivian stood in the middle of the lab, behind the counter. The hand holding the derringer trembled. Tears streaking her cheeks.
“You missed,” Franz told her as he walked back into the lab.

“I realize that.” She kept her eyes on the vampire, ignoring how still Arthur was on the floor, and the spreading stain of blood seeping into the plush carpet.

Franz expression was cold and cruel as he approached her. “Why don’t you try again? I’m right here.”

She swallowed hard. “That was my last bullet.”

He tsked. “Such a shame.” His eyes glowed red under the fluorescent lights. “You are lucky you are still useful to me.” His red eyes flickered over her. “Though honestly I don’t need you to have all of your limbs.”

Vivian backed up as he climbed over the counter. Her shoulders shook and she scrunched her eyes closed tightly.

Her eyes flew open again as she felt a hand on her shoulder, pushing her to the side gently. She turned her head to Dexter as he emerged from the doorway. Behind his glasses, his brown eyes were hard. His glasses slipped down his nose as he lifted his arm, a large silver revolver in his hand. The nose of it was inches from Franz’ shocked face when he pulled the trigger.

The gunshot was deafening, and a spray of blood erupted from the back of Franz’ head. The vampire dropped to floor like a puppet whose strings had been cut.

Vivian didn’t stay there long enough to thank the professor. Instead she ran around the counter and into the hallway.

Dexter looked down at Franz’ body and let out a shaky breath. He sagged against the doorframe and pushed his glasses back up to the bridge of his nose. He pulled his tie loose and breathed heavily for a moment.

“Arthur!” Vivian’s cry put the stiffness back into his spine. He grabbed the large first aid kit behind the counter and sprinted over to her and Arthur.

Together they manage to staunch the blood pouring out of the former hunter, but his eyes were closed and he wasn’t moving. Vivian kept her fingers on his rapidly fading pulse. “Don’t you dare after all of this, do you hear me?” she spat around her tears. “I am not letting you get away from me again!” She slapped the unbruised side of his face and his eyes fluttered open.

Relief washed over her. “We need to get him closed up,” she said to Dexter.

“Already working on that,” he replied while he prepared a suture needle. “Simon! We’re going to have to give him a transfusion. Check and see what blood types we have in storage.”

Simon stood in the lab, unharmed physically, but looking shell-shocked. He shook himself. “Right,” he said, looking around the lab. “The refrigerator, right.” He headed over to it.
In the hallway, Vivian maintained eye contact with Arthur. “Just relax and stay right here with me.” She gripped his hand tightly.

His fingers linked through hers. “Are you hurt?” His voice was slow and slurred.

“I’m fine, just concentrate on staying alive.”

He stared at her golden eyes through his good right eye. “You’d think I’d be a pro at that by now…”
Vivian pushed his silver hair out of his face while Dexter started the stitches. “Just keep your eyes on me.”

“Now that I can do…”

“Good. We’re gonna fix you right up.” She lifted up their joined hands and pressed her mouth to them. “I’m thinking about a summer wedding.”

He frowned. “Summer’s too hot. Fall.”

“No, I won’t be able to fit into my dress by then.”

Confusion crossed his battered face. “You don’t have to wear your old dress.”

Dexter had plastic thread in his mouth, so he just rolled his eyes briefly. Simon knelt next to him with more supplies and a couple of bags of plasma. “What am I supposed to tell Adamson?” he asked dejectedly.

The lights overhead dimmed briefly and the walls trembled. Dexter looked up at the ceiling. “Something tells me he’s busy right now.”