‹ Prequel: Paris Redux

Lilith/Cain

5 - Double Time

"Azri is an interesting name," Angie said, her eyes narrowed in mistrust.

He either didn't notice her glare, or was choosing to ignore it. He smiled pleasantly. "It's short for Azrael, which is even stranger."

Chris was the last one in the house, so he closed the door. Azri gestured towards the phone on a low coffee table. It sat next to one of the two lamps that lit up the large room.

The farmhouse's interior was much friendlier than its exterior. There were cozy rugs spread out over the wooden floor and a well-broken-in couch sat next to the barren fireplace.

Outside of the cordless phone, there were no modern devices in evidence. No TV, radio, or computers in sight. There was a small bookshelf in the corner that was fully stocked with paperbacks and hardcovers alike. It appeared to be the only source of entertainment.

While Chris called for assistance, Angie studied this man that looked so much like the one she had lost. "Your parents had interesting taste in names. Though it might be a little audacious to be named after an angel."

He let out a short laugh. "It's their audacity, not mine. I just bear the burden of it." He shrugged. "It's not like I can go complain to them at this point."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Have they passed?" She did not look the least bit sympathetic.

"I'm sure they must have, considering I was found buried in a snowdrift not twenty miles from here when I was a child." Her eyes widened slightly at this news and he smiled. "Once I thawed out, the paramedics asked me for my name. Azrael is the first thing I said. I don't remember anything from before then."

He held out his hand towards her. "But I'm being rude by not asking you your name."

She ignored his hand. "My name is Angie."

He pulled his hand back, his smile unwavering. "It's a pleasure."

"I'm sure it is."

Chris returned to the group. "It's going to be over an hour," he announced grimly. "We appreciate your hospitality."

Azri put his hands together. "Just enough time for a light supper. Do you care for fish?"

"I'll eat just about anything," Chris said seriously. "And thank you again."

"It's no trouble at all, do excuse me." Azri turned and headed through a doorway that led down a hall.

Chris immediately turned to Angie, who had her arms folded across her chest. "Okay, how come this guy looks like Gabriel?" he asked in an urgent whisper.

Her eyes narrowed. "They don't just look alike, they're exactly the same in appearance," she replied in a murmur.

"He's a vampire too, isn't he?"

"Yep."

"So, you think he's using influence to mimic Gabriel?"

She shook her head. "He's not using any influence, except the basic stuff to stop from looking like a walking corpse. That's instinctive, so he can't control it."

"What should we do then? I'll bet you anything that he's the reason both our tires went out." His eyes narrowed. "He probably placed something in the road. He came out and greeted us as we approached. Like he was expecting us." He put a hand on her shoulder. "We're not safe here."

"I'm not leaving without answers," she whispered grimly. She put a hand in her coat pocket.

He moved his hand to his holster. "Why is nothing ever simple when it comes to you?"

"If it was simple and boring all the time, you'd never come back for me."

He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. Her gaze were focused on the doorway. "I suppose I wouldn't, if you didn't get into trouble literally all the damn time."

She pulled out her silver pistol, double-checking the safety. "Where do you think I learned how to get into trouble constantly?" she asked without looking at him.

"Oh no, you can't pin that one on me. You've been causing trouble since the very day we met. Day one."

"I guess you're a fast teacher, then." She looked up, her expression aloof.

Azri appeared in the room again. He carried two glasses of what appeared to be soda. "I forgot to ask, do you prefer your fish grilled?"

Angie pointed her gun at him.

He didn't miss a beat. "I could always fry them, but they might shrink a bit."

Chris drew his own gun. "We just have a few questions for you."

"I see. The safe is behind the bookshelf."

"We're not robbing you," Angie said irritably. "Do you know this man?" She held up her phone, showing the picture of Gabriel.

"May I come closer? That screen is a bit small."

"I'm sure you can see it just fine from there."

Azri's eyes narrowed slightly. "How do you have such a photo?"

"You tell me."

His eyes turned red. "I see that face in the mirror every morning, but that is not me. Who is that?"

"I'm afraid you're the only one who's going to be answering questions for the moment."

"Well that's not very fair, is it? And after all of my generous hospitality."

It was Angie's turn to narrow her eyes. "I wouldn't call busting our tires and trying to poison us as being all that hospitable."

Azri wore a mask of innocence. "I'll have you know I do not possess any poison. I'm merely offering you refreshment." He lifted up the glasses of soda in emphasis.

"You don't need pills or drops to poison us," she revealed. "Your venom is more than powerful enough to knock us out." Chris' eyebrows pressed together in confusion. "You spit in those cups." His expression turned to one of disgust.

"You seem to know a lot more about me than you should for our first meeting." Azri's hospitable tone changed, becoming threatening.

"Let's just say I've been exposed to your kind of tactics enough times to be wise to them."

"By the man in that photo?"

"You tell me." Angie's grip on her pistol tightened. "Who exactly are you?"

His eyes narrowed to ruby slits. "Fair warning, I do not respond well to threats."

"Maybe you'll respond better to a silver bullet." She pulled the trigger without blinking.

Azri dodged to the side, dropping both glasses. The bullet narrowly missed him, hitting the lamp on the small table behind him. The lamp shattered the same time as the glasses, the light going out.

Angie cursed in the sudden dimness, the only source of light now coming from the lamp on the other side of the room.

Azri rushed past her, going instead for her step-brother. He fired his own gun, but missed in the gloom. Azri wrenched it out of his hand. Angie turned, but hesitated, not wanting to accidentally shoot Chris.

Chris responded to the attack with a hard straight to Azri's jaw. The vampire reeled backwards. "Not bad," he grudgingly admitted as he straightened up. "But not good enough."

He grabbed Chris by the front of his coat and threw him through the large window on the east side of the house. The window and frame were both destroyed by Chris' bulk. He landed on the porch and rolled with the impact.

Angie fired at Azri, who dodged and followed Chris out the window. She swore once more, louder this time. She wrenched the front door open and hurried out onto the porch. She ran as best she could, rounding the corner clumsily.

Azri was on top of Chris. He swung at the fallen man in the face, causing Chris' head to snap back and hit the wooden floor boards.

Angie limped over to the pair, her face determined. Azri ignored her, focusing on what he perceived as the bigger threat. She swung her metal leg back and kicked as hard as she could.

Her foot connected squarely with Azri's temple. The force of the blow knocked him right off her brother. He clutched the side of his head and blinked at her. "That hurt!" His voice was absolutely appalled.

"Good." She reached down and helped Chris to his feet.

"Is your foot made out of lead?" the vampire asked incredulously.

She pointed her gun at him again. "That is the second time I've heard that joke today and it is seriously starting to piss me off."

He raised up both hands meekly. "I give up. Ask me whatever you want."

"Just tell me who the hell you are!" she ordered.

Here his expression became a little helpless. "I'm not exactly sure."

"Do not lie to me with that face, or so help me..." She gestured with the point of the gun.

Next to her, Chris leaned on a wooden support beam, breathing hard. A gash on the side of his head was bleeding profusely. He pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and pressed it to the wound. The material quickly soaked through.

"I'm not lying," Azri replied earnestly. "It's true that I was found frozen in the snow when I was a child." A shadow flickered across his face. "I was abandoned."

"How long ago was this?"

He lifted his shoulders while still keeping his hands raised. "About fifty-one years ago."

Her eyes were wide now. "How long were you trapped in the snow?"

"Honestly? I have no way of knowing. I have no memories from before I was frozen." His hands dropped to his sides. "The way you look at me... We have never met but I can see that you clearly despise me. Who is the man in your photo, and what did he do to you?"

Her face hardened, her mouth a grim line. "He left."

They stared at each other for a long moment as Chris continued to bleed. "Can I see the picture again?" Azri asked meekly.

She took her phone out of her pocket with her free hand. She went back to the photo and tossed it to him.

He caught the phone and studied the screen carefully. "What's his name?"

"Gabriel."

His brows pulled together as he frowned. "No, that's not it."

"Then you tell me."

The frown deepened as he concentrated. "Ga'vriel..."

"Gabriel, that's what I said."

"Not exactly. It's similar." The screen went dark and he held the phone back to her. She hesitated before taking it from him, careful not to touch his fingers. "You're searching for him."

"I'm going to find him." She pocketed her phone. “I came up to this godforsaken place because I’m tracking him down.”

"Then I'll come with you. We're the same."

"You look similar, but your personalities are completely different," she told him.

"We can't trust you," Chris said tightly. "You just tried to kill us."

Azri ignored him, focusing on Angie intently. "Not me and him. Me and you. We're the same."

She stared at him for a long moment.

“We were both left behind.”

She lowered her gun. "If you cause any trouble, I'll kill you." She turned and walked away.

Chris stayed where he was, looking down at Azri. "You thought I was the bigger threat, didn't you?"

"Can you blame me? You’re built like a moose."

Blood leaked into the corner of his eye, but he couldn't help but smile. "You won't be making that mistake again."

Azri looked down to the end of the porch. "Definitely not."

“I’m still up for fish if you actually have any on hand,” Chris said amiably. “Right after I make use of your bathroom mirror.” He gestured to his wound. “Gotta stitch this up.”

“I do have some fish, but no first aid kit.” Azri got to his feet.

“Looks like I’ll have to make a trip to the car…” he said with a sigh. “You’d better come with me, it’ll be safer for you. Just don’t try anything, or else she will kill you.”

“You two are my connection to the man in the picture, Ga’vriel. You’re both too valuable to do away with for the time being.” He shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans, his expression turning aloof. “Though I make no promises about after we’ve found him again.”

“A temporary truce is fine by me. I don’t think I could stand to be around two of you.”

As they walked down to the end of the porch, Azri’s eyes went to his front door. Angie was on the other side. He could hear her limping over to the couch. “What is she to you? Are you partners?”

Chris waved his hand. “I wouldn’t get any ideas about her, she’s off the market. And we’re siblings. For the most part.”

Azri put a finger to his mouth while he mused. “That look in her eyes when she pointed the gun at me. I’ve never seen a look like that before. It was so…” He thought for a moment, seeking the appropriate word. “Vicious.” He smiled faintly.

Chris felt his stomach clench. “Yeah, I know...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks you guys for coming this far with me and for all of your support. Thanks to all of you the first two books have been published. You can find them digitally on Amazon or Google Play, and in paperback on Amazon. Want to hold physical copies of Bloody Memories and The Paris Escapade in your hands? Want to enjoy the cover art done by the incredible Emma Glaze on your bookshelf? Now you can!

I wouldn't have gotten this far without your encouragement, so I want to thank you all again. After this series is done I'll keep on writing. About other characters, other places, other times. I do hope you'll continue to give me your support and you continue to enjoy my works.