Knight Rider AS

Episode 1 - Pilot, Chapter 1

*December, 2014*

~Knight Industries Warehouse #1 – S.E.S, NYC, New York~

Charles Graiman sat in an undefined black car in the middle of a wide empty space. Various workstations surrounded him, quiet and abandoned. He leaned his head back into the headrest and sighed heavily.

“Samuel Long is dead." He spoke sombrely. "The official report says it was accidental, but of course that is false." He paused for a moment, then continued his monologue. “We have no choice but to continue the project without him. We have very little time to train another driver. We need an individual who can learn the basics, just to get through the first mission, while we train another driver for the long term. The first mission starts in two weeks. That is our only window of opportunity, and you are the only one that can take that opportunity.” He placed one hand on the dark dashboard.

“Fortunately, I already have a candidate in mind. Katherine Long, Samuel Long's younger sibling.” He smiled. “David will be surprised. He had considered Katherine at first, but he felt that Samuel was more capable.”

He ran his hand along the dash gently, almost lovingly. “It'll soon be time for you to wake up permanently. Your training is almost done as well. Soon we shall see what kind of existence you will be.”

********

~Cannon Air Force Base - Curry County, New Mexico~

Kat woke just before the alarm went off. Her hand came down on the digital clock just as the music started to blare. She rolled sleepily out of bed. A strong arm reached out, pulling her back in.

She extricated herself carefully out from under the arm. “I gotta go,” she whispered. It was still dark out. Her clock read 4:00AM.

“Damn pilots and their early hours," her companion muttered.

“And damn those intelligence officers that get to sleep in till oh-five-hundred," she teased him. She leaned over, kissing him on the cheek before climbing back out of the narrow bed. She headed for the bathroom.

After a hot shower she was fully awake. She stood in her tiny kitchen, stirring her tea while she listened to her messages.

Her kitchen was tiny, but cozy. Her fridge was the mini kind, sitting up on the counter. That, a coffee maker and a hot plate made up her major appliances.

She loved it though. It was all hers. She had lucked out when the barracks had overfilled and they had offered her this tiny apartment. It was in the building that generally housed families, but this space was too small to fit more than one person comfortably.

“First message, from yesterday, at 9:37 AM.” Her machine droned in an synthetic female voice.

“Hey Sis, it's me Sam!” Her brother's exceedingly cheerful voice bubbled into the tiny space. “Sorry I haven't had a chance to call you in so long. I’m working on a new project, very hush-hush. You know how it is. I wish I could introduce you to my new partner. I think you two would really hit it off.” Kat rolled her eyes. He was always trying to fix his single little sister up with his friends.

“I don't know how many more times I'll get a chance to call you. I wanted to tell you that Christmas was out.” She raised an eyebrow, glancing at the calendar. It was a tiny thing that sat on her fridge next to a postcard. The postcard depicted a silver Camaro. The words 'Wish you were here! - Sam' were scrawled underneath it.

She looked back at the machine as her brother's voice turned more serious. “I'm going to be on this project for quite a while. I mean, a really long time. But it's worth it. I'm going to be doing a lot of good. I hope you understand.”

Kat raised her eyebrows. Was he telling her goodbye? She sipped at her tea and frowned. Her brother was always getting himself into reckless situations. He was supposed to be the older one, too.

Warm arms wrapped around her waist from behind. “You made me coffee," Daniel crooned into her ear.

She handed him a disposable Styrofoam cup, complete with lid. “See you in a few weeks," she said to him. She was being preemptive, she knew it. He would leave soon, and it was always easier to tell him goodbye rather than the other way around.

He frowned. “I can come by again sooner than that.” He pouted.

Kat almost laughed. “Right. I'll believe that when I see it.”

He hugged her tighter. “You're too caught up in your career. You need more time to yourself.” He kissed her neck lightly.

She slid out of his arms expertly, holding her tea up and out of harm's way. “Daniel, you know that you are just as caught up in your own career. We don't like having free time, that's what makes us work.” She retreated to her bedroom to get dressed.

He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. “Yeah, you're right," he said to the empty kitchenette.

********

A few hours later, she was in the air.

This was what she lived for. Captain Katherine Long was a pilot for Cannon Air Force Base. Currently, she was flying the X-53 Active Aeroelastic Wing. Testing for this jet had completed a few short years ago, and they were starting to commission them.

She was running through her drills when her Commander radioed her. “Captain Long, land immediately. There's someone down here to see you.”

Kat frowned behind her mask. This was highly unusual. Her Commander's voice sounded strained. She chanced a little insubordination, to see how serious the situation was. “Sir, can't it wait until after the drills?” she asked.

There was a tense pause. “No it cannot, Captain. Land immediately.” Quite serious then.

Kat slipped easily out of her drill formation, heading back down to earth. Her heart sank a little like it always did when she had to land.

Once on the ground, she ran into the hangar, her helmet under her arm. She shook out her long brown hair. She saluted her Commander when she saw him, and waited.

“Good, you're here. Follow me, Captain.” He turned and lead her into a small sectioned-off part of the hanger. Once behind the hastily erected partitions, he left her there with the only other occupant.

Kat studied the man seated at the folding table. He wore an expensive suit, his black hair was professionally styled, and a shiny black briefcase lay on the table in front of him. She disliked him immediately.

“You wanted to see me about something?” she asked.

The man smiled at her, showing off some rather sharp incisors. “Yes, Miss Long. Please have a seat and let me introduce myself.”

Kat hesitated, then sat in the folding chair across from the man. She placed her helmet on the table. “That's Captain Long," she said quietly.

“Of course," the man said dismissively. He wasn't paying attention to her. He popped open his briefcase. “My name is David Marks. I work for Knight Industries.” He looked over the open lid of the briefcase at her. “I am sure you’ve heard of us.”

Kat nodded. “Of course, I've flown some of your jets.”

“Yes, we are very proud of our numerous government contracts.” David smiled, obviously pleased. “We have many projects, some for the government, some private.” His smiled widened. “And some both.”

She gave him a quizzical look. “What is it that you want from me?” she asked, feeling impatient.

“I came here today to proposition you for one of our more classified projects.” He handed her a sheaf of papers from the briefcase. The letters across the top grabbed her eye immediately: F.L.A.G.

“You guys need a pilot?” she asked, still confused.

“In a manner of speaking. We want you to drive a highly experimental car for us. With the purpose of taking on unorthodox and possibly dangerous missions.” He was still smiling, like he was offering her an exceptionally shiny toy.

“A car?” she asked, frowning. “I'm a jet pilot.” She smiled tightly. “Isn't that a step down?”

He waved his hand dismissively. “This is no ordinary car, I assure you.”

“It doesn't matter how extraordinary this car is. It's still not a jet," Kat countered. “My life is in the sky.”

“We're willing to increase your salary substantially," he persuaded, folding his hands together.

Kat tossed the papers back across the table to him. “Keep it," she said, getting to her feet.

“I'm afraid you're going to want to sit back down," David said to her, his voice losing all trace of pleasantness. His dark eyes turned icy.

She gave him a cool look in return. “Why should I?” She was annoyed by this guy. Who did he think he was? Certainly not her Commander.

“I have information that may persuade you to join us, at least temporarily.”

Kat hesitated, but didn't retake her seat. “What information?”

He pulled out a dossier file from his briefcase. Kat recognized the picture in the corner immediately. “Major Samuel Long was hired by us six months ago. He has been undergoing training since then. Due to highly confidential circumstances, he is unable to complete his first mission, which is two weeks away. The Department of Homeland Security has offered us a sort of trial mission. If we do not complete it on time, then we will lose our contract with them.”

Kat's eyes narrowed. “So you approach Sam Long's sister, hoping she'll help her big brother out?”

There was a glint in David's eyes. “Something like that.”

“And I would be working for you directly?” That was a nightmare waiting to happen.

He nodded. “I am the Director of FLAG, but you will be working mostly with Charles Graiman, KITT's creator, and KITT.”

“Kit?” Kat asked questioningly.

David held up the papers she had tossed back to him. “It's all right here.” He pushed them back to her, along with a lengthy looking contract and a silver pen. “This contract only covers the first mission, and binds you to secrecy of all people, places, and events involved. You'll have to sign a new contract when you decide to stay on permanently.”

Kat bristled as she picked up the pen. “I'm just going to help my brother out, that's all," she told him. She pulled the contract over and signed her name at the bottom. She flipped through it, signing on all the dotted lines. When she was done, she tossed the pen back to him. “I've got some vacation time coming anyway.”

David slid the pen into his inside jacket pocket. “You would consider working for FLAG a vacation?” He looked highly amused.

“Compared to what I have here?” Kat held out her hands. As if on cue, there was the scream of a jet close overhead. The table and chairs rattled on the floor. “Yes, I do.”

David smiled that venomous smile of his. “Interesting.” He stood up, placing the signed contract back into the briefcase. “That's yours.” He indicated the FLAG papers still on the table. Kat picked them up. “We leave immediately. A helicopter is already fueled up and waiting to take us to the facility. Belongings will be provided to you, so there is no reason to return to your domicile.”

Kat's eyebrows pushed together. She really didn't like this guy; he set her teeth on edge. Was she supposed to just drop everything? Leave with just the clothing on her back? “What if I had a cat or something?” she asked, irritated.

“You belong to FLAG for the time being, Miss Long. It will have to fend for itself," he answered, already walking away.

Kat glared after him. “That's Captain Long," she reminded his back. He ignored her. “Good thing I wasn't baking a cake," she muttered as she followed. “It would have to fend for itself.”