Knight Rider AS

Episode 1 - Pilot, Chapter 2

~F.L.A.G Underground Facility~

During the helicopter ride, Kat looked over the FLAG papers. They included a basic diagram of the car, K.I.T.T, which stood for Knight Industries Three Thousand. Most of it looked simple to her, but there was some parts that were confusing. She would have to wait till she saw the situation in person.

Thankfully, David vanished as soon as they touched down next to several small white buildings. He ran off to one of the buildings after telling her to wait. The helicopter took off, heading back to base. Kat sighed, wishing she could hop right back on it.

She took in her surroundings. She was somewhere out in the desert. Death Valley, maybe? There was no way to be sure. There were three or four small, low buildings here. What kind of facility was this?”

A man came out of another building to greet her. “Captain Katherine Long, I presume.” He held out his hand and smiled at her kindly.

Kat took it, pumping once. She liked this man much better than David, his smile was genuine. He was late into middle age, with snowy white hair, but she wouldn't call him old. He held himself straight, and his eyes were sharp behind his glasses.

“The one and only," she answered him.

“My name is Charles Graiman. I am immensely relieved to see that you're joining us.” She could see that relief plain on his face.

She frowned. “Only temporarily. I'm just here to help Sam out of a tight spot.” She looked around. “Is he here?”

Charles shook his head. “I'm afraid not.” He turned from her then. “This way please.” He led her into the small building he had come out of.

This was the smallest building. The only thing in it was an elevator and a guard desk. The guard behind the desk waved them through, not even looking up from the newspaper he was reading.

The elevator went down a long way. This made Kat a little uneasy. She stared up at the ceiling. “Claustrophobic?” Charles asked.

Kat shook her head. “I just hate being so far away from the sky...”

The elevator opened up into another room with a guard desk. This guard was alert and sat behind a thick pane of bulletproof glass. Charles swiped a card through a scanner and the guard buzzed them through. There was another door, and then they were in a hallway.

“The residential section is down this way," Charles told her as he led her through a maze of corridors. He opened a door, gesturing for her to step inside.

“These will be your quarters for the duration of your stay with us. You will be sharing with Angela, our Disguise Artist. Every member of the Team lives here on the Compound," he explained.

“They all live here?” Kat asked in disbelief. She looked around the small room. It held two tiny loft beds, which were over two desks. A flat screen TV was placed on the wall. It seemed more like a prison cell than living quarters.

He nodded seriously. “Oh yes, all of the employees here have given up their old lives. Too much outside contact poses a security risk.” He grimaced. “I know it's a little spartan, but you won't be spending much time in here. There is too much work to be done.”

“And my brother signed up for this willingly?” Kat snorted. “This must be one hell of a car.”

Charles smiled at her. “You have no idea.” There was a sympathetic look in his eyes just then. Before Kat could contemplate it, he spoke again. “Let me show you the Main Lab next," he offered graciously.

She gave him a skeptical look. “You're the car's creator, don't you have work to do? Can't you get a subordinate to give me the tour? Why am I getting the red carpet treatment?”

“I will admit that I enjoy seeing the reactions newcomers have when they meet KITT," he confided.

Kat arched a brow, but followed the older man out of the room. “Men," she muttered under her breath. Were they all so obsessive about cars? Maybe it was genetic.

********

“I wonder what the new driver will be like," Carmen, the Head Mechanic, mused. Aloud, as she did most of her thinking. She sat on the floor next to K.I.T.T. Various unidentifiable grease-covered bits of metal were laid out before her.

Laid right out on the bare floor, Pierce, the Head Computer Technician, noted with narrowed blue eyes. “Could have at least put something under them," he muttered to himself from his desk.

“Is it okay to introduce a new driver today? It's only been a day,” K.I.T.T asked pensively. The red light on his hood flowed back and forth with his anxiety.

“Sooner the better, really,” Carmen said, shrugging her petite shoulders. “Deadline is in two weeks. David assured the Homeland Security guy that you could handle this. And he won't let a setback like this ruin his image.” She snorted, showing her opinion of David's image. “I just hope the new guy doesn't bomb. That's all we need, this project shut down before it even begins.” She spoke darkly.

“Knight Industries is a privately held company,” K.I.T.T reminded her. “I'm sure they'll find a use for me.”

Carmen gave his hood a straight look. “If they don't get this contract, then you'll be staring at the walls of a warehouse for quite some time. And I'll get the boot.”

She chose a bit of metal and slid under the Camaro. She changed the subject. “I wonder if the new driver will be as cute as Sam, now there was a man you could-” She slipped easily into rapid Spanish while she worked under the car.

“Carmen, please have some respect for the dead,” K.I.T.T chastised her calmly.

She slid out from under the car. “Oh, I am being very respectful,” she assured him. “I saw Sam in the shower that one time, you know.”

“You did not!” Pierce cut in from across the wide space. His frown was disapproving. “Stop telling lies, Carmen.”

Carmen got to her feet, wiping her hands on a grimy rag. She stuck her tongue out at Pierce. “Maybe I'm lying, maybe I'm not. What's it to you?”

“I won't have you corrupting KITT," he replied, rising out of his chair. He walked over, and addressed K.I.T.T. “I would like to try out a new program.”

K.I.T.T opened the driver's door and Pierce sat in the front seat. “This one works with your nano-skin. It will help you generate any license plates you need. It will also hook you directly to the DMV's database. You can now become any car, on the record as well as off.” He smiled triumphantly. “Test it out.” He slipped the mini flashcard into a slot on K.I.T.T's dash.

Carmen wrinkled her nose. “Why would KITT want to be any other car, he's fabuloso as he is.”

Pierce rolled his eyes, pushing his glasses up his nose. “Carmen, go to dictionary.com and look up the word 'espionage'.”

She gave him a withering look through the windshield. He smiled back at her sweetly, baring his white teeth.

She whipped her rag against the side of K.I.T.T's hood, leaving a grease smudge on the perfect, glossy-black finish. Pierce frowned at it. “Come on KITT, don't mess around with that geek stuff. You'll never pick up girls like that.”

K.I.T.T. changed through several license plates, ending up with one that just said K.I.T.T. “I don't know about that. This will be useful. Thank you, Pierce.” Pierce preened smugly.

The mechanic made a strangled noise in the back of her throat. “Tell Carmen what kind of girls you like, KITT. One with a nice transmission, am I right? You're sexy enough, you could get any girl.” She grinned, her large brown eyes sparkling.

Pierce scoffed before K.I.T.T had a chance to answer. “Only you would find a car sexually appealing.” Carmen opened her mouth to retort, but he cut her off. “Besides, KITT wouldn't be interested in such trivial details as physical appearance. He would appreciate a keen mind and pleasant personality. Something that is sorely lacking from the females in the immediate vicinity.” His blue eyes were frosty.

“I assure you that I have no idea what either of you are talking about," K.I.T.T answered. His synthesized voice was calm, but slightly uncomfortable.

Carmen snickered. She was looking up, as something on the upper walkway had caught her eye. “Looks like we'll find out soon enough.”

Pierce looked up through the windshield. “Charles is heading down. You know the drill, KITT.” He exited the car and shut the door.

“You have to let Papi have his fun,” Carmen teased.

The red light on K.I.T.T's hood went out. He waited silently. Carmen retreated quickly to her station. Pierce took a pristine white handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the grease smudge from K.I.T.T's finish before returning to his desk.

Charles led Kat down the metal staircase to the main floor. The car sat in the center of the huge room, on a large, slightly raised circle. Workstations surrounded it, mechanical on one side, computer on the other. At least half a dozen technicians on both sides were working. The air was alive with the hum of their activity.

Only two people met her eyes. A small Hispanic young woman wearing coveralls was watching her intently, while wiping her greased covered hands on an even filthier rag. Her expression was fierce and scrutinizing, obviously sizing her up.

Across the room, a tall, thin man sat behind a large, immaculate desk, watching her covertly over his wire-framed glasses. He was pretending to work on the three different monitors on his desk, but Kat could tell that he was sizing her up as well.

They had two very different faces, one thin and pale, the other tanned and petite, but they wore identical expressions.

'They don't approve of me,' Kat thought. She tried to think why that might be, just from looking at her. Probably because she wasn't Sam. Sam was a blindingly cheerful person. He was also an unfailing optimist. There was no one in the world who was more pure and caring and kind. She always thought of him with pride.

Kat was a sharp-tongued pessimist. It showed in her movements as well as her face and voice. Compared to Sam's bright presence, she must have looked like rotting fish.

Charles stood next to the driver's side of the car. Kat looked at it wonderingly. Nervousness twisted her stomach. She had never been a car person, but even she could appreciate the sleek look that hinted at a powerful machine underneath. This car didn't need a huge spoiler, or a massive frame to look strong. It was in the air around it. She could see it in the way that Charles looked at it, with respect.

She also recognized it.

The Camaro that had been in Sam's postcard had been silver. This one was painted a glossy black. She could probably put on makeup by looking in the finish.

“The Fifth Generation Camaro concept car,” Kat remarked, feeling glad that she might sound knowledgeable instead of totally incompetent. She silently thanked her brother. “Specifically the GS Racecar Concept.”

Charles nodded. “KITT's design was based on the Camaro. You will find the interior has been modified.” He gestured to the door. “You're the only person who can open KITT's doors," he told her. “He will recognize your fingerprints on the handle. Yours alone.”

“That's convenient,” Kat remarked. “I won't have to worry about losing my keys.” She smiled weakly, trying to joke. It didn't make the nervousness ease up.

Charles smiled at her encouragingly. “Why don't you try it out? Take a seat in the passenger's seat.”

Kat glanced through the windshield, noting that the steering wheel was on the left side of the car. That was a relief, she only know how to drive on the right side of the road. “You mean the Driver's seat, right?” She arched a brow.

He shook his head. A small smile played across his lips. “Every seat in KITT is a passenger's seat.”

She gave him a strange look, but humored him, placing her hand on the door handle. She heard the door unlock and pulled it open. She slid into the cool leather seat, looking around the interior. It looked like a normal car interior, only with more buttons. The stereo was about the only thing where the buttons were marked. The rest were unlabeled and enigmatic. There were two extra meters next to the speedometers and fuel gauge as well. She peered at them, but couldn't understand what they were supposed to measure.

“I know I am supposed to be impressed, but this all looks very complicated.” She gestured to the dash.

“You'll learn the basic functions for your mission,” Charles assured her. “We have a dedicated team that will help you through this as painlessly as possible.”

Kat took the wheel in her hands. She could feel more tiny buttons under her fingers. She would have to make sure not to grip the wheel too hard. Though it was a good idea, this way she wouldn't have to look away from the road in order to press something.

“So, how do you feel?” Charles asked.

Kat looked around. “It's roomier than a jet.” She tried joking again. “But, I don't know. A car? I guess I can handle this for one mission. I'm used to unusual assignments.”

“And you, KITT?” Charles asked, looking to the stereo.

Kat blinked in surprise. Was he seriously asking the car's opinion, or was he just playing around? She remained quiet, giving him a skeptical look.

Charles frowned, obviously displeased with the silence. “I asked a question, KITT.”

“Would you like me to answer honestly?” A synthesized voice asked tensely. The equalizer display on the stereo lit up, bright green, the levels rising up and down with the voice.

“Of course, KITT,” Charles answered the voice.

Several things clicked in place in her mind. Sam's postcard, that message about his new partner. David's amused smile back at the hangar. The way that Charles spoke of the car, with respect. It was then that it hit Kat that the voice coming from the stereo was the car talking...

“Given the time restraints, I don't think this will work. I didn't realize my new driver would be female," the car answered Charles.

Kat's spine was rigid as she felt heat rise up inside of her. The car talked, and it was sexist. Her fingernails dug into the steering wheel.

Charles saw the scowl forming on her face and opened his mouth to speak, but Kat beat him to it. “Is there something wrong with me being a woman?” she asked tensely. She wasn't going to let anyone treat her this way, especially not a car.

“I meant no disrespect to you, Miss Long,” K.I.T.T explained. “My AI is designed to learn and adjust to my driver. I have spent the last six months adjusting to Samuel. I do not think that two weeks is enough time to do a complete reversal on everything I have learned.”

Kat gritted her teeth. “That's Captain Long," she said through them. She was in the Marines, for crying out loud, she wasn't going to take this.

Before she could say anything else, Charles cut in. “KITT, I have faith in you. This is only temporary.”

“If you say so,” K.I.T.T said guardedly.

Charles gave Kat a wary glance. “Perhaps Katherine should meet the rest of the team now,” he suggested.

Kat was out of the car before he had finished speaking, slamming the door behind her. Several people in the large room winced as the sound echoed off of the high ceiling.

“You will apologize to her later,” Charles whispered. K.I.T.T was silent. “It's essential that the two of you get along.” He turned away from the Camaro and walked over to Kat. Pierce rose from his desk and joined them.

“Allow me to introduce you to Pierce, our Head Computer Technician.” Charles gestured to him. “Pierce, this is Katherine.”

He held out his hand, which Kat shook after a brief hesitation. He didn't release it right away. His pale blue eyes sparked with interest as they took in her face. “The pleasure is mine," he said softly.

The sound of something heavy and metal hitting the concrete floor made them jump. Kat took the opportunity to retrieve her hand from Pierce's grasp. Her anger still hadn't cooled completely. “Oops," Carmen said, unconcerned. Her arms were crossed over her chest.

Charles turned to her. “Carmen, our Head Mechanic.” He introduced the tanned young woman.

She stood where she was, her expression stony. She pursed her full lips. “Yo.” Disapproval was thick in the air around her.

Charles, sensing a situation brewing, took the diplomatic route of escape. “We should head over to the medic next,” he said. He placed a hand gently on Kat's shoulder, steering her out of harm's way.

The medic was an elderly black man named Dustin. He smiled warmly at Kat when they were introduced, and Kat felt herself relax. He had an air about him of a small town doctor who did house calls on Christmas Eve.

“Dustin will be fitting you with a dental implant. It will contain a tiny communicator, which will keep you in touch with KITT at all times,” Charles explained. Kat's eyes widened in alarm.

“Don't worry, Captain,” Dustin assured her in a smooth, deep voice. “It won't hurt a bit, and when you decide to leave us, I will replace it with a new tooth exactly like your old one.”

Kat smiled at Dustin. She was really starting to like him.

The procedure wasn't that long, and it was painless. Her mouth felt a bit funny though, and it took a while for the Novocaine to wear off. When it did, her jaw twinged uncomfortably.

They tested the implant out as soon as it was in. They had explained how it worked to her. The insides of false tooth was made from biologic nano-technology. Tiny circuits made from amino acids. It was completely undetectable by bug sweepers, being organic. She was told that K.I.T.T was coated with with a thick skin of the same bio-nanos. It allowed him to change color and display text and images on his body.

The implant let her communicate with him by picking up her voice when she spoke aloud. K.I.T.T could communicate back to her through the implant as well. The sound waves would carry through her skull, to her ear.

“KITT?” she asked empty air once the procedure was over. Her voice was slightly slurred by the Novocaine. She also felt rather silly, with Charles and Dustin watching her so intently.

“I can hear you perfectly.” She heard the synthetic voice in her ear.

“It works fine," she told Dustin.

“Very good.” He smiled.

She spent the rest of the day in her and Angela's quarters. She had yet to meet her roommate. Everyone in the compound shared quarters. It was a kind of buddy system. If someone went missing, their roommate would know right away. Pierce had been Sam's roommate. While he was away, Pierce had to share with two others, since there was an odd number of males.

She wondered idly if she would get to see her brother before she left. She would ask him why he had decided to go through all of this. She winced as her jaw twinged again.

She was not unoccupied. Both Pierce and Carmen had handed her two-inch-thick manuals detailing K.I.T.T's various functions, both mechanical and technical. She had two weeks to read through both of them.

She fell asleep that night using one of the open books as a pillow.