Status: Active

When It All Falls Down

One

Stark Industries had been selected to host the Los Angeles Children's Home charity dinner. It wasn't Tony's idea but James convinced him that it would be a good image for him. So that is how Tony found himself mingling with L.A.'s elitist. Pepper was away on a much needed vacation over in Paris. He was starting to become bored.

James was trying to get Katie to hurry. "Katie I would really appreciate it if you talked to him. He is not going to bite you." She hesitated as she tried to relax her nerves. Tony was a few feet away.

James went over to him. Katie wobbled after him. "Tony there is someone I want you to meet," he started. Tony turned to his friend. "I would like you to meet Lieutenant..."

He trailed off when Tony nearly ran him over. James turned to see Tony holding Katie. Her face was scrunched up like she was about to fall. "Are you alright?" Tony asked her. He stood her up.

Her face relaxed before she opened her eyes. They looked into Tony's eyes. "Yeah...yes, I'm fine. Thank you," she says. James cleared his throat. She extracted herself from Tony.

"As I was about to say, I would like you to meet Lieutenant Commander Kathryn Rhodes. Katie meet Tony Stark." She looked over at her life saver. She studied him then cocked an eyebrow up. Tony gave her The once over.

"Wait...did you say, Rhodes? As in your..." he trailed off. James sighed deeply. "She's my niece, Tony." She looked away. This subject was taboo with her.

She grabbed a glass of champagne from a passing server. She took a long sip of it. None of which was unseen by Tony. James looked at her. "Katie?" he called softly.

She stayed turned away from them both. Tony walked over to her. "Everything alright?" James was a bit shell shocked that Stark was symphathizing with her. Stark placed a hand on her arm which caused her to jump.

Luckily she didn't spill her drink on her. She blinked then turned to face him. "I'm...I'll be okay. Just have to make it through tonight. Excuse me while I go get some fresh air."

She slightly wobbled before she stopped and yanked off the damn high heels. She carried them outside to the gazebo. Tony had watched her leave before turning to face the Colonel. "What happened to her?" Her uncle sighed.

"Let's go grab a drink before I start this conversation," he said as he started for the bar. Stark followed quickly. Rhodes ordered scotch on the rocks. Stark was curious to his drink order. But he ordered whiskey on the rocks.

Rhodes took a drink before launching into the story of his niece. "Kathryn Marie Rhodes Monroe. March Sixteenth, Nineteen Eighty-Eight. Legally removed Monroe. She spent two years in L.A.'s Children's Home.

I finally got custody of her when she was fourteen. Her parents died in a car accident. She closed herself off from everyone. When she turned eighteen, she enlisted. Except she joined the Navy.

Twenty-six years of age and already a Lieutenant Commander. Youngest female Lieut. Cmdr. to lead a group of six NAVY SEALs. Ten years in the field. Wounded six months ago, honorably discharged.

She's been so alive since she joined and came home. Until she was asked to come tonight. Of course, her wearing high heels is so not her forte. Originally from Arizona, she's a cowboy boot wearing woman." He stopped there and took another drink.

Tony raised both eyebrows. He wasn't sure what he was getting into. But there was something about her that drew him to her. He took a drink of his own drink. He wanted to bring her to work with him.

Probably a lot better than her uncle. He was about to speak, when she showed up beside them. She had her high heels back on. She ignored them then ordered a Jack and Coke. She paid for it then knocked back half of it.

Tony was speechless. She had just drank that like it was water. "Uncle James, after this, I'm going home. I can't handle this," she said. Tony saw a glistening in her eyes. She was on the verge of tears.

"Why don't I take you home," Tony said not believing the words coming out of his mouth. Both Rhodes looked at him. "You've got a speech in thirty minutes!" Stark shook his head. "I'll be back. I just want to see that she gets home safely."

He turned to face her. She was speechless. James nodded then took her glass. "Go on and go home. I'll see you tomorrow." He kissed her forehead.