Status: Active

When It All Falls Down

Three

Tony chuckled at that. He turned on his heels and led the way. She followed close behind. They filed into an awaiting elevator. Tony pressed a button and they descended.

Katie was quiet the whole ride. When they got there, he motioned for her to go first. They walked towards the glass doors. Tony typed in the number code. The doors opened.

In they went. She hung back as he started pointing out and explaining things. He was so caught up in it, he didn't realize she wasn't with him. He stopped finally and looked around. He saw her back at the entrance.

He smiled at her. "Sorry...I'm just a little bit excited to show you what I do. Pepper and Rhodey are the only ones who have been down here." She gave him her famous half smile. "I completely understand.

It's just..." she struggled to find the right words. "This is your special place. I...oh..." He chuckled. He walked back towards her. "You don't need to worry.

I'm happy to share my special place with you. I want us to work together. I think you have what it takes to build something like the IRONMAN suit. You can do anything you set your mind to. And you'd be absolutely successful."

She snorted. "You sound like James. He always said that to me. And I did. I became a Navy SEAL. A Lt. Cmdr. Ten years out in the field, was supposed to be twelve, three four year tours.

And then I got wounded." She scowled at herself as she looked away. He placed a hand on her arm. She shrugged him off. "Hey look at me," he says.

She ignores him. "Kathryn Marie." She threw him a death glare. "You still served for our country. You helped make a difference for us.

Just because you got wounded doesn't mean you have to stop. There are other ways to serve our country. There is no need to beat yourself up." She turned away to leave. He tries to reach out for her hand which triggers her fight response.

She goes to send a punch but he catches her wrist. He grabs the other and pulls her into a hug. She hits his chest with closed fists until she tires herself out. She finally breaks down and cries.

He cautiously pulls her into a hug. She lets him. He holds her tight yet loose. She cried out all of her tears. He pulls away and holds her face in his hands.

Using his thumbs, he wipes away the remaining tears. "I'm not giving you a handout if that is what you're thinking. I'm offering you a chance to continue serving the country. Be my right hand. Not to mention you get your own suit."

She closed her eyes as she gave a whimsical laugh. "Are you bribing me with my own suit?" She opened her eyes. He gave her a cheeky grin. "Is it working?"

She swatted him on the arm. "You're impossible," she said. He pouted at being swatted. "Oh you big baby." He moved to tickle her.

She tried to back away but got caught. She laughed so hard until she cried. Then she snorted. Tony stopped and stared at her. "Was that...did you just snort?"

She bit her bottom lip. "You did just snort!" He started tickling her again. She laughed again until she begged him to stop. He did and just hugged her.

She backhanded her tears as she smiled. "Add a dinner and we have a deal." She crossed her arms under her chest. He raised an eyebrow. He pretended to mull it over.

"Okay I'll throw in dinner. How about pizza and a beer?" She shook her head. "Cheapskate," she said with a straight face. "Hey!" "We will cook dinner together.

I've had enough pizza for a while. Not much of a beer drinker. More of a whiskey and coke kind of woman. And the occasional stoli and cranberries." He smirked.

"Alright tag team dinner making. Ready to start testing the suit?" he asked. She had a Cheshire Cat grin. "Oh do you even have to ask?" "That's the spirit!

J.A.R.V.I.S. a little music maestro." AC/DC's Back in Black filled the room. His current suit he was working on ascended from the floor. It was a cherry red color. "Tony you know I don't do cherry red unless it's a Porsche."

Again with that half smirk. He pushed a button and the suit turned black. She grinned widely. "Step forward young lady and let us begin!" She did.

He placed a slim cuff bracelet on each wrist. He pushed a button on the right cuff bracelet. The suit opened up and moved towards her. It "swallowed" her then closed itself. Tony studied her a moment.