Status: Active

When It All Falls Down

Six

Tony sat in his chair facing Katie. She had rolled on to her stomach. One arm under her head and one slightly hanging off the couch. Her mouth was open a bit. He decided that it was worth having her there with him.

He would need to keep her off the grid. There was no doubt that the FBI, Homeland Security, and all those high level feds would be looking for her. But one thing was for sure, he needed to get her to trust him. That he would protect her. Always.

After a while, he found himself feeling the sleep deprivation kicking his ass. He somehow found his way over to her and passed out beside her. The two of them fit perfectly on the couch. His arm found its way around her waist. He was out within seconds.

Jarvis turned out the light and had some Harry Connick Jr. playing softly. Both of them slept like rocks. Katie woke up twelve hours later after falling off a cliff in her dream. A red headed woman had pushed her off. Tony was fighting Barton.

Barton leapt off the cliff after her. Unfortunately, Katie woke up right then and there. She was in cold sweats and panting. She felt a heavy weight on her. Then she heard snoring.

She rolled over to see Tony. He looked peaceful. She took in his facial appearance. It was nice to see him relaxed. After awhile, she got up.

He stirred but stayed asleep. She tip toed to the door. "Jarvis?" she whispered loudly. "Yes miss," he replied. "The bathroom?"

"Right away, Miss." The hallway lit up to her right. She followed as the light jumped. She found it and went in. She checked her reflection before anything else.

When she emerged, she pulled out her cell phone. Seventeen missed calls, sixteen voicemails, ten text messages. All from James. She shook her head. She sent a text message.

"I'm fine. Don't worry. Love you." She pocketed her phone. "Jarvis," she started off. "You've been asleep for twelve hours, miss. It's one thirty. I expect Mr. Stark to wake up in about an hour or two.

I've taken the liberty to order Indian food. Chicken Tikka Marsala for Mr. Stark and Coconut Chicken Curry for you miss. It's being kept warm for you until you're ready." She nodded. "I'll have a coffee until Tony wakes up.

I'd rather have him join me." She followed the lights again to the elevator. It was silent at first. Then Jarvis asked her question. "Miss, are you alright?

You look pale." She sighed. "I'll be fine. Just a nightmare." She obviously wanted the subject dropped. When she entered the kitchen, Jarvis had the coffee waiting for her.

It was still steaming. "Nantucket blend with Bailey's Irish Coffee Creamer." She was going to ask how he knew. But then she just shrugged it off. "Thank you Jarvis," she said sitting down to it.

"My pleasure, Miss Rhodes." As she drank her coffee, she was lost in thought. Tony finally woke up. He panicked when Katie was no where to be found. "Jarvis, where is Katie!?"

"She is in the kitchen, sir. Drinking coffee and thinking. I believe something is bothering her. But she does not want to divulge. I believe she needs a friend, sir."

Tony made his way to the elevator. In the kitchen, Katie was still lost in thought. Harry filled the air. A few minutes later, he finally arrived in the kitchen. He saw her lost in thought.

Her forehead was furrowed. She had a scowl on her face. He snorted. Jarvis made another mug of coffee. Tony went to get it.

Afterwards, he sat beside her. He sipped on his coffee as he watched Her. He let her stew some more. He placed a hand on her. She jumped then twisted his arm.

"Katie, it's me!" She snapped out of it. She saw Tony. "Tony!? I am so so sorry!" She let go of him.

Her bottom lip started to quiver. Tony saw this. "No, no, no. Don't cry. It was an accident." He put his cup down then pulled her into a hug. He held her tight.

She was fighting the tears but they eventually won. Her body shook as she cried. He was quiet. It was awhile before she quit. But Tony stood with her.