Status: Active

When It All Falls Down

Seven

Katie took a deep breath before extracting herself from Tony. He looked her in the eyes. He placed a hand on each side of her face. He wiped away the tears. She closed her eyes as she reveled in this moment.

The moment was interrupted by her stomach growling. He smiled as she turned red. "Jarvis, the food?" she asked. She moved away from Tony. A drawer popped open to reveal two to-go containers.

She picked them out. Jarvis opened the cabinet with the plates. She grabbed two. She plated the food then chucked the containers into the trash. Another drawer opened with silverware.

She grabbed what was needed. She placed the plates on the table. A cabinet opened by the refrigerator. She turned to see wine glasses. She grabbed two.

Tony disappeared to get a bottle of wine. He returned with a bottle of Chianti. She sat with one leg under her. She was waiting for him to return. He found the wine bottle opener.

She looked up when she heard the cork pop. He walked over to her. He filled the glass three-fourths of the way. He did the same to the other glass.

They sat down to eat. It started out quiet with the exception of eating utensils hitting the plates. After a bit, he started pestering her about her dream. She stopped. She didn't think it would be this soon that Tony would know.

"Tony I swear if you don't stop pestering me, I'm gonna hurt you!" "Come on Katie! Tell me." She gave him the evil eye. "Enough!" "I'm just going to keep bugging you til you finally cave in."

She growls in frustration. "Fine!? I'll tell you, so you'll shut up!" Tony snapped his mouth shut. He knew that she could kill him if she wanted to. She heaved a sigh before telling him her dream.

"I...was in a battle against someone. She had pushed me off a cliff. You were fighting Barton. He pushed you to the side. Then he dove off the cliff after me. That's all that happened before I woke up."

Tony frowned. He thought a moment. "Miss Natasha Romanoff." It was a statement more than a question. Katie dropped her gaze from his.

"She's not going to hurt you. I won't let her. I promise." She looked back at him. "Don't make a promise you can't keep." He pointed his fork at her.

"I say what I mean and mean what I say Kate. I won't let her hurt you." She opened her mouth to speak but closed it. She ate in silence. Tony watched her a bit then went back to eating.

She ate pretty decently, which was a first in a long time. She got up to clear her plate. She wanted time to herself. She was angry with herself, that she let a nightmare get to her. Tony had finished as well.

He put his plate in the sink. He turned to see that she had disappeared. He frowned. He hurried out of the kitchen. "Jarvis, a little help."
"Miss Rhodes wishes to be alone, sir." Tony huffed. "I'm well aware of that. I don't want her to be. I don't want her to get hurt."

"In other words, for her to hurt herself." Tony pursed his lips. He kept moving. "She's in your library, sir." Tony gave a half smile.

"Thank you." Tony hurried to the library. He quietly slipped in. He found her huddled under the painting of his dad. She was hugging her knees as she looked up.

Tony looked at her. He figured it out. She was in need of her father. He himself, had days like those. He walked over to her and sat beside her.

She didn't acknowledge him. He didn't mind. They sat there for the longest time, neither of them speaking. Howard looked at them both. The clock ticking, only sound in the room.