Way Over There

Long School Hours and Lazy Pool Days

Mikey’s Point of View

Towards the end of dinner, Sara glanced at her watch. “We should go into town before it gets too late, we need to pick up your things.”

“No, that’s cool. I have a toothbrush and clothes and yeah…” I trailed off.

“Do you have any books or anything?” she asked. Reading? Seriously, I don’t even read when it’s required for school. “School supplies?” she added.

“It’s only August 29th.” School didn’t start until September 9th, but the table grew quiet.

Andrew took a bit of his potato salad. “School started 4 days ago,” he said with a smirk. Wow, you had to be kidding me. School? What the hell happened to my summer?! I nodded and tried my best to not throw my plate at the wall.

Next Morning

BUZZ! BUZZ! BUZZ!

Stupid fucking alarm. I shoved the pillow over my head, hoping to block out the noise. I can’t believe I have to go to school now, in fucking August. I can’t believe I have to deal with Andrew all day, everyday. I can’t believe I’m actually in the situation. Finding out that Andrew had severe anger issues and kind of wanted to kill me ruined any chance of me having a good time here. But having school when it was supposed to be summer completely buried the idea. I was so looking forward to the last days of summer, sleeping in, staying up late, hanging by the pool, chilling with frank. Ugh! We didn’t even get a chance to test out our home made fireworks that we’ve been working on all summer. I should be enjoying my summer before my sophomore year, but no! I’m here in stupid Idaho with stupid Andrew and stupid school. I turned off the alarm and reluctantly got out of bed and made my way over to the bathroom.

“Mikey,” said Andrew just as I reached the door.

“Morning,” I said groggily. Andrew pushed me against the wall and laughed as he locked himself in the bathroom. If it wasn’t official 5 seconds ago, it was now. I hated that kid with a dying passion. It wasn’t him being gay that bothered me, I actually couldn’t care less, it was the whole ‘he’s a total dick’ thing that I didn’t like.

Half an hour later Andrew came out of the bathroom dripping wet with just a towel on. I stood there for a second and so did he, it so unbelievably uncomfortable. He left and went into his room and I went into the bathroom, a little weirded out and a lot scared for my virginity.

I took a quick shower, brushed my teeth, pulled on a pair of jeans and my Misfits t-shirt.

The whole car ride there, Sara kept blabbing on and on about how I would love Driggs High School. I highly doubted that, no Gerard, no Frank, no Principal Hankins with his stupid comb over, no Signora Garcia with her lack of knowledge in good hygiene, no Monica, who by the way was totally in love with me, she asked me for a pencil in math freshmen year, none of my friends or anything. This totally sucked and I would defiantly not love Driggs High School. I could tell just by the stupid name, Belleville High School just sounded so much better.

We pulled up to the school and Sara made Andrew promise he’d show me around. Show me around, my ass. Sara drove away and Jason called Andrew’s name. He caught up with us and they gave one another a small head nod. That was it, no kiss or hug or anything a couple normally does, just a small gesture between friends. I wondered if they were a ‘couple’ or if no one knew. By the looks of it no one really knew. We started walking across the lawn and to the front doors of the school. I kind of felt bad for Andrew, if he loved Jason they shouldn’t have to hide it, maybe that’s why he was so angry. A girl’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

Next thing I know, this girl’s arms were wrapped around Andrew’s neck and her lips were pressed against his. This kid was just full of surprises. Jason looked away and another girl who walked over with Andrew’s girlfriend cleared her throat and they pulled apart. I’m guessing it was safe to call her that by the looks of them fiercely making out I wouldn’t doubt that that’s what people thought.

“I missed you,” she said.

“Just saw you yesterday,” he said smiling. She rolled her eyes and then noticed me.

“Oh, you must be…um, Mitchell?”

“Michael, but call me Mikey” I said.

She cocked her head to the side and have me a once over. “I’m going to call you Mitchell. I’m Angie, Andrew’s girlfriend.”

“Oh…well…” I began.

“Just kidding!” she said laughing and I just stood there smiling like an idiot. I had no idea what was going on. “I’ll totally call you Mikey.”

“Right,” said Jason, “This is Carrie.” He pointed to the girl next to him. She seemed cool, not like Andrew’s obnoxious ‘girlfriend’ who I might have to punch in the face.

“Where’s your first class?” asked Andrew.

“A4,” I said looking down at my schedule. Spanish.

“Oh,” he said thinking, “Just go inside and make a left, you’ll see a huge ass stair case, go up it. Then make a left and go up a smaller staircase. Make two rights and you’ll be at your class.”

I looked towards Jason and Carrie, I knew without a doubt he was lying. “Hmm, A4,” said Carrie, “Wow, Andrew. Way to lie. Go inside and walk past the main office, make a left and then walk towards the small staircase half way down the hall. Take a right and all the way down that hall way is your class.”

“Way to kill my only form of enjoyment,” smirked Andrew. The four on them, well really the three of them, Andrew just stood there, said good bye and went into the school.

I stood there momentarily and then started mentally flipping out. How the fuck was I suppose to remember what she just said? I walked in and the hallways were filled with people. People kissing. Girls fixing up their make up. Guys trying to look cool. People texting. People talking. Groups of girls sitting in front of their lockers. People doing their homework. Just a shit load of people and I was just awkwardly standing there. I had no clue how to get to my first period class. I pulled out my school map, but it didn’t help a bit. I wondered around the halls for about 5 minutes and then the bell rang and people sprang to life. Books were gathered, lockers slammed shut and the sound of movement and shuffling feet flooded the halls. People pushed passed me, completely ignoring me. There wasn’t a shot in hell I’d get anywhere with all this commotion so I waited until the crowd thinned.

“You’ll be miles away and you can do whatever you want! I still have mom and dad to boss me around…”

Gerard’s voice rang through my head and I stopped panicking. I had no one to yell at me, no one that actually mattered like my parents. So I decided to just walk around and explore the school a bit, if I happened to find my class room well then that would suck. Every now and then I’d pass a freshman flipping out and scrambling to get to their class.

“Mr. Way?” I looked up to see a tall man walking towards me. “I’m Mr. Minerva, You’re guidance counselor, and I figured you’d have a bit of trouble getting around Driggs High School.” He stuck out his hand and I shook it. He showed me to my first class and wrote out step by step where my classes were. True, I was freaked out that he found me in this huge as school, but fuck people weren’t half as nice in Jersey.

I walked around all day like the world’s biggest nerd with my step-by-step map of my classes. Kids were moderately nice, and by that I mean everyone ignored me. By the time lunch rolled around I was practically dying of hunger, I had the latest lunch period, 8th period. I walked into the cafeteria and Andrew was sitting by himself, great. As if my life didn’t suck enough. I hoped Gerard was having a better time with Alyssa, than I was having with Andrew.

Gerard’s Point of View -Earlier the Same Day-

I rolled over in my bed and glanced at my clock as I rubbed my eyes. Ah, 1 pm, just the way summer was suppose to be. There were only a few days left and then I’d have to wake up at 6 every fucking day. Thank god I only had one more year of High School. I dragged my ass out of bed and went to the bathroom, on the way I practically walked straight into Alyssa. I apologize and realized she was wearing the world’s smallest bikini. Motherfucker it was too early for her to be this hot, what was she trying to do, kill me? I looked at her, wow, she was beyond hot. I suddenly felt self conscious in only my boxers.

“Morning,” she said. “You’re not dressed,” said Alyssa as she pointed at me.

“Isss my house,” I said yawning.

“I know, but I meant you’re not in you’re bathing suit.”

“People in Jersey don’t normally sleep in their bathing suits,” I reply. I couldn’t help but be an ass. It’s just in my nature. As my mom would say, English is my second language, sarcasm is my first.

She giggled, “Neither do people from Idaho, but you’re mom said you and I were going to swimming at Frank’s house.”

I cocked an eyebrow. I seriously needed a one-on-one conversation with that woman about minding her own fucking business.

“Unless you don’t want to go swimming,” she said, her face fell a bit. I smirked at my newly discovered ability.

“I’d love to.”

“Right,” she said and went into the guest bedroom. Okay, so I wasn’t as suave as I thought. I just stood there grinning like an idiot.

Ashley and I walked over to the Iero’s house and went through the back gate. I expected to see Frank already in the pool, but no one was around. There was a letter on their back door.

Dear Gerard and family,

We are currently in the city visiting some family; we won’t be back until September 7th. Feel free to use the pool whenever you would like. Gerard, please clean up after yourself and no parties! But make sure to have fun, this is your last summer before college!

Love, the Iero’s


I shook my head. Frank’s Mom, congratulations on leaving the stupidest letter ever written. I walk over to the pool and take a seat on the pool chair next to Alyssa. She was practically ripping her arm out of the socket in an attempt to apply sunscreen on her back. Should I offer help? Or would that be beyond creepy? What if she said no and it was awkward? What if she said yes and it was awkward? What if she said yes and got so turned on that we had sex right here?

“Need help?” I blurted out. Tension grew as soon as I offered. I really had to stop thinking with my pants.

“Wha? Uh…sure,” she said awkwardly.

I got up and sat behind her and she handed me the bottle of sunscreen. I squeezed some lotion on my hands and cautiously began to apply it on her shoulders.

“Sorry, if my hands are cold.”

“They are,” she said. I couldn’t see her face but by the tone I could tell she didn’t mind.

I laughed. No, actually I did this awkward giggling thing. Why? I had no fucking clue. But apparently I find having cold hands amusing.

I cleared my throat and spoke to cover up my embarrassment, “So, how’s Idaho?”

“Boring as hell. School’s already in session there.”

“That sucks for Mikey,” I said while moving onto her back. I finished and she got up.

“Your turn,” she said smiling. I just nodded, all the blood in my body was not going to my brain and I couldn’t think of anything to say. She sat behind be and began to apply lotion. “All done,” she said after a bit.

“Well, that was exhilarating,” I said.

Alyssa looked at me started laughing, “I bet it was.” I didn’t need to look down to know what she was laughing at. I just rolled my eyes, kicked off my shoes and jumped in the pool.

“You going to join me or laugh at my boner all day?” Alyssa jumped into the pool and I momentarily wondered if Mikey was having as much fun as I was. But Mikey didn’t stay on my mind for long.

Oh, and I’d have to give my mom the biggest fucking hug when I got home.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments would grand (: mhm, and sorry for the awkward chapter title, but a certain someone was no help. xx brooke