Status: Just trying something out

Sam

Chapter 1

“Dude, seriously, if you don’t go talk to her, I’m gonna go talk to her and tell her all of the weird shit you’re telling us. I’m getting nauseous.”

“Dude, seriously, shut the fuck up,” Luke threw a French fry at his friend Michael, whom was referring to the girl who sat 2 tables to the right of them- where she always sat. She was always alone, always with a book and a small cup of coffee, but seemed content with herself. The beautiful girl never looked around at the other groups of friends longingly like Luke did before he stumbled across Michael. Her nose was always buried in a book; long ones to be exact. Luke had seen her with a new book every week for the past 3 months. She sat in the same place every day and every day he was there to watch her.

“What would I say to her? I don’t even know her name.”

Michael rolled his eyes, “Why don’t you ask her?”

“This is pathetic,” Luke laid his hands on the table, “We’ve been coming here for 3 months now and I don’t even know her name. Michael, I don’t know her blasted name.”

“For fuck’s sake, Luke, go talk to the girl. She’s not going to bite.”

Maybe she wouldn’t but someone else could. Luke didn’t know a thing about her. What if she had some burly boyfriend lurking around? What if she wasn’t interested in him? Oh God, what if she liked girls?
Luke shook his head, he needed to either get a new hang out or go talk to the damn girl because this was driving him insane.

“Alright,” Luke stood up.

“Alright what?” Michael’s brows furrowed, “Please, don’t go make a fool out of yourself.”

“You’re the one who said I should just go talk to her. I mean she’s not gonna bite, right?” Luke turned on his heel, threw his shoulders back and headed for the woman of his dreams.

“I can’t watch this…”

Luke ignored Michael, his palms growing sweaty as he neared her table. She was almost finished with her book-of-the-week, he could see, she was intently staring at the pages, her soft eyes darting around wildly. She was so much more exquisite up close.

“Uh,” he coughed awkwardly, “H-hi-Hello.”

Great. Very alluring, Luke, he thought, flustered.

Her eyes looked up from the book, quickly scanning Luke’s face, taking a mental note of the way he nervously rocked back and forth on his heels.

“Hi.”

Luke’s eyes widened; he hadn’t thought much further than saying hello, now what?

“Hey,” he mentally slapped himself. You already said your hellos, get a move on, slick.; “H-how’s it going?”

“I’m good,” she smiled, clearly amused, “How are you?”

“Great,” his cheeks heated. Sure, he goes all his life and now decides to be bashful. Just his luck.

“Would you like to sit down?” the girl gestured to the seat across from her, sliding her coffee cup over.

“That would be great,” Luke murmured, “I mean, uh, what’s your name?”

She raised a perfect eyebrow, “I get the feeling you don’t do this often.”

“Do what?”

“Talk to girls,” she smirked, “and my name is Sam, by the way.”

“Sam,” Luke smiled, “Short, sweet, and to the point. I like it. I’m Luke and I promise I’m not normally this awkward.”

Sam laughed, “It’s totally okay, pretty refreshing actually.”

“Oh good,” Luke let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding.

“Your friend has been staring at us since you walked over,” she looked over at Michael who quickly hid behind a menu.

“That’s Michael,” Luke rolled his eyes, “He’s my best mate. Oi!” he called over to Michael, “Come here, you nugget.”

Sam hid her smile behind the coffee cup, subtly taking in Luke’s appearance. She had seen him around many times during the past few months. He was normally accompanied by his technicolored-haired friend, but on occasion, he came alone. She had considered talking to him a number of times, just commenting on the weather or the great coffee, but she was always too chicken. Luke seemed like a lively guy, always smiling, laughing, his bright eyes lighting up his face; she didn’t think her typical Debby-Downer attitude would interest him.

“Michael, this is Sam,” Luke introduced his now blonde haired companion, “Sam, this buffoon, is Michael.”

“About damn time you get her name, you donga,” Michael collapsed into the chair next to Luke, “Nice to meet you finally. Now Luke can stop pining over you from afar.”

“That’s great, Michael,” Luke’s could feel his cheeks turning the shade of a fire truck, blazing like the sun.

“You guys aren’t from around here, are you?” Sam intervened to save Luke from any further embarrassment.

“What gave it away?” Michael gasped in mock horror only to have Luke swat him over the head.

“Shut up, you dick. We’re from Australia, we came over with a couple mates about a year ago.”

“Why so far from home?”

“We’re in a band!” Michael’s smile was wide and proud while Luke actually looked a bit embarrassed,

“They told us we were shit back home so we figured we’d come to America and fuck shit up here as well.”

“We’ve done a lot better here,” Luke rubbed the back of his neck, “But we had to get jobs and the whole lot to stay.”

“Luke here, is a lifeguard,” Michael clapped his friend on the back, “I’m a pizza delivery boy and Ash and Calum are working at this album shop down the road a ways.”

“Who are Ash and Calum?” Sam was intrigued at the boys’ situation; 4 foreign boys trying to make it in America. What could be hotter than that?

“They’re our best mates,” Luke looked down at his phone, “Actually, they get off about now.”

“Just tell them to meet us here, they could use the exercise,” Michael snorted. Luke quickly typed on his phone, assumingly texting Ash or Calum. While they waited for the boys to show up, Luke and Michael explained their awful living conditions and bad fortune of only having one car between the four of them. Sam was surprised they had survived for as long as they had and was a bit sad to hear they would be heading back home to Australia for the holidays. As per usual, she would be spending that time on her own.

“Lads!” the door opened, revealing 2 very tall boys, who Sam assumed were Michael and Luke’s friends.

“Hello there,” the one with curly, tawny hair smiled largely at her, “Who is this?”

“This is Sam,” Michael smirked, “The girl Luke has been yammering about for the past 12 years.”

“I’m honestly going to kill you,” Luke gritted out, turning a whole new shade of crimson.

“Oh!” exclaimed the one with dark hair and distinct features, “We have heard so much about you. I’m Calum, by the way.”

“And I’m Ashton,” he had a very cute smile and very nice arms, Sam noticed. All of the boys seemed extremely nice and it made her wonder what it was like to have a tight knit group of friends like this. It must be nice.

“Well, my darling, I think it’s about time we all head home,” Ashton directed his suggestion to Sam. She was cute, he had to admit, but there was something about the way Luke looked at her that made him believe in love at first sight. He had been waiting for Luke to come out of his shell and this girl was undoubtedly the key to that.

“You’ll have to come by our place sometime! We can hang out,” Calum grinned. Sam was quickly falling in love with these boys; their adorable smiles and contagious laughter made her feel like for the first time in a long time, she was actually a part of something. She just had to make it last.
♠ ♠ ♠
Heyo, thanks for reading this. If you got all the way here then GO YOU! Someone please let me know what they think, that would be greatly appreciated. Talk to me, people. I don't bite. Hope you liked it ;) Let me know if ya want more.