Status: Complete as it stands but still a bit of a work in progress :-)

Redemption

II.

“Hey, look at the freak!”

“I bet he’s a pyro. Somebody got a lighter?”

“What about it, Freak? You wanna play with fire?”

* * * *

Seth flew awake rubbing frantically at his face. He could still feel the sting of the third degree burns the gang had given him that day. They’d healed but of course the scars had been horrendous.

The man sighed noisily. When he was in human form sleep was a necessity and Seth hated to sleep. The worst memories from his prior life played in his head, taking the shape of nightmares.

“As if I needed more punishment,” he muttered, tugging on his hair. His bed was full of black feathers and he grimaced. In times of extreme stress his natural form showed itself and normally left a trail of destruction in its wake.

“Must’ve exercised at least some kind of control last night,” he yawned, burying his face in the clean smelling feathers. “Oh, I need to really sleep!”

“A little restless are we, Seth?”

“For God’s sake could you please stop sneaking up on me!” yelled Seth, throwing a pillow at the tall female perched on his chest of drawers. “Knock or something!”

“Ooo, grumpy! Tsk, tsk, and I was trying to be nice and sociable,” the woman grinned, showing teeth a little more pointed than normal.

“Shireen, if there’s a point to this visit please get to it because I am seriously running out of patience.”

The demon smiled a bit wider and slid off the bureau. She almost seemed to glide over to the bed and ran one long fingernail along his bare shoulder, “Now, don’t be like that-”

Seth whirled and grabbed her wrist, eyes flashing dangerously, “Unless you want to lose an arm, don’t touch me!”

“I love it when you’re angry,” Shireen winked at the irate man. “And I hate to press a point but you’re touching me.”

Seth dropped the limb as if it were red hot and simply glared.

The demon pursed her lips, “Well fine, if you are going to be like that…”

“Shireen-”

“Okay look, you know my boss is just dying to get his hands on you?”

“So what else is new? My life hasn’t ever been perfect but I have no desire to go to hell for real and permanent. That’s your department,” he snorted, yanking the black duvet over his shoulder.

“Alright Mr. ‘I’m so high and mighty because I have a special purpose from God’ listen up! You span the bridge between two worlds and like it or not, most of the time you’re more firmly planted in my master’s camp. One day soon you are going to make a choice that will plant you there for always. Mark my words, Seth Lee!”

Shireen’s eyes, which were so light a gray they were almost colorless, turned bright red.

“You know nothing about me, Shireen. Now, get out of my house!” Seth pulled a crucifix from under his pillow, said something in Latin and pressed it against her forehead.

The demon screamed loudly and cursed before vanishing. The rancid smell of sulfur she left behind just for spite made Seth wrinkle his nose.

“And stay out,” he muttered, stretching and placing the crucifix on his bedside table. Glancing to make sure his blinds were still closed he slowly stretched his wings. Covered with glossy black feathers they were beautiful, if a little morbid.

“Rather like me,” he sighed, brushing the excess feathers out of his bed before tucking his wings back out of sight. “I wonder what soul they’re going to send me after tonight?”

Seth frowned at the knock on his door. He stood and dragged on a pair of sweats. After thumping down the stairs and checking the peephole he opened the door with a long-suffering sigh, “Come in, Gabriel.”

The angel raised an eyebrow as he crossed the threshold, “You expressed a wish that we should knock before entering. I thought you would be pleased.”

“I’m having a human moment. Right now I’m not happy with anything,” replied Seth, shutting the door and leaning on it.

“That’s to be expected given your heritage.”

“I’m glad I have an excuse for it.”

Gabriel narrowed his eyes at the sarcastic response.

“I’m sorry. It’s been a rough morning.” Seth closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“You had a visitor.”

“Something like that.”

“She was lying to you,” said Gabriel with some finality, moving into the living room.

“The bulk of it was a lie but I do walk a fine line, Gabriel. I always have. I often think that one day this power will get the better of me for good. The first time I unlocked it-”

“God would not have given it to you if you couldn’t handle it.”

“I got this through an accident of birth. If my mother and my father hadn’t…” Seth shook his head and folded his arms.

“The world would be a poorer place without you. Don’t second-guess the Lord. He knows what He’s doing.” The angel gripped the younger man’s shoulder.

Seth gave his mentor a rare half smile, “So, what’s the new job? Who’s stuck and needs my help?”

“This one is a little different. You are being trusted with some great measure of responsibility.” Gabriel eyed him seriously.

“I think I can handle it,” Seth nodded.

“Oh, I have no doubt. You’re playing babysitter to a lady who happens to still be living.” The immortal had to stifle a laugh at the expression on his charge’s face. “It will be good for you.”

“I don’t play well with others,” Seth growled, his face becoming stormy.

“You’ll learn,” said Gabriel, ignoring the even more animalistic growl that came next.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like writing the dynamic between Shireen and Seth :D You know there's history but what kind? Comments are much loved!! *hugs*