Status: Complete as it stands but still a bit of a work in progress :-)

Redemption

IV.

Kitty sat on her bed staring off into space. She absentmindedly strummed the guitar in her lap while thinking deep thoughts. Her fingers wandered over the initials carved deeply into the back and she closed her eyes, bowing her head.

“Yeah, it’s been two years but it still hurts as much now as it did then. Some things you just don’t get over,” she whispered, swiping at her eyes. “I’m sure some brilliant psych major would have a field day with me. What do you think, Seth? Am I a total loon?”

The student smiled shakily at the angel figurine on her dresser. It was more than a little battered having been through at least four moves and one dropping. He’d been a gift from her parents when she was a baby. The name had been her idea. It was the nicest name she could think of at three years old.

“Well, considering I tell all my problems to a tiny china angel…I guess I’ve been losing it for years,” sighed Kitty, placing the guitar on its stand and crossing to the dresser. “Aw, it’s not your fault you’re only china, sweetie.”

She gave him a soft kiss on his cracked cheek and slowly turned him over. A childish scrawl decorated the base. It read ‘Seth’ in huge letters. Kitty chuckled at the memory of the spanking she’d gotten for writing on her things.

“You’re nothing but trouble, you know that?” she snorted, setting the figure down and leaving the room.

* * * *

“Seth, what kind of trouble have you gotten into now?” sighed Sister Anita Blakely, watching the man rinse blood out of his mouth in her bathroom sink.

“I met up with a demon who happened to have a nasty right hook,” he frowned, looking at the still bleeding cut above his left eye and his swollen bottom lip. “Damn.”

“Come with me and I’ll take you to the infirmary.”

“I’ll be fine, Sister…”

“Now Seth.” The nun’s tone brooked no nonsense.

The young man winced and nodded falling into step behind her.

“Sit,” she said, indicating a small cot.

Seth removed his ankle length coat before sitting down. His weight made the springs creak ominously in the ancient mattress. “Hey, if I collapse this thing just remember this wasn’t my idea.”

“I will bear that in mind,” replied Sister Anita, setting a tray on the small moving side table. “Now, hold still.”

She dabbed at the cut on his forehead with a cloth dipped in warm water, “Did you get him?”

“Who?”

“The demon.”

“Of course. I wouldn’t be doing my job otherwise. Ouch!” Seth jerked away sharply. “That hurt!”

“You’re an overgrown child, Seth. With that hairstyle and that thing in your nose…” The Sister shook her head and clicked her tongue, putting small white butterfly stitches on the cut.

“Oh, you don’t like my nose piercing?” he grinned, rolling backwards to avoid Anita’s good-natured swat.

The nun turned suddenly serious, “I worry about you, you know? You need to take care of yourself. You work too hard.”

“Not for what I am, I don’t,” he sighed, starting to stretch and wincing as his shoulder caught.

“What you are is a man with entirely too much on his plate- And where do you think you’re going?” Anita put her hands on her hips as Seth rose and put on his coat.

“I’ve taken up enough of your time, Sister Anita. Thank you for your help.” Seth turned towards the door.

“Wait!” The nun grabbed his sleeve. “Be careful, Seth. I mean it. I’ve never had a feeling this bad in my life and I’m almost seventy years old.”

“Never ever?” The man’s smile was almost imperceptible.

“No, not even all those years ago when I first met you. This is much, much worse. How dangerous is your mission this time?”

“A lot more dangerous than I thought a few minutes ago,” Seth replied dryly.

“Oh!” Sister Anita covered her mouth as her eyes widened.

“Don’t worry. I know how to stay out of trouble,” he waved her off.

“It isn’t nice to lie to a nun,” she admonished, gently touching his split lip.

“Give me a day. You won’t even know I’ve been in a fight,” smiled Seth, kissing her cheek. “Pray for me.”

“Every day Seth,” whispered Anita, her eyes following him down the corridor. “Ever since I met that angry and scared young man I’ve prayed for you. The only one, save God, that I have ever loved.”

* * * *

“See, you can play well with others.”

“Anita is different,” muttered Seth, dipping his fingers in the holy water and crossing himself.

“Yes, Anita Blakely is a very…unique woman. She cares deeply for you,” observed Gabriel from his perch on the choir stalls.

“She only worries because I’m not immortal. I don’t age but my life will end.”

“Yes, it will. Everything that is born on this Earth will someday pass. It is the way of things.”

“It’s not fair. I’ll be seventy-five next year and I still look like a young man whereas Anita-”

“Is fully human and will live and die as such.”

“But her spirit will endure forever…it still hurts those of us who are left behind.” Seth shook his head. “I’ve stayed too long. I need to get back to babysitting duty.”

The bitter man disappeared leaving Gabriel to sit alone in the gathering darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a little bit of character development for you :-) Busy, busy, busy, but I TRY to keep on top of the updates, hehe :D Thank you for reading and remember, comments and subscriptions make my ever loving day!!