Status: Here we go again. Yes, more Luke. Who's surprised.

Talk With Me About the Stars

part 2 ☯

“So about last night…” Luke awkwardly began, taking a hand off the wheel to scratch the back of his neck.

“What about it?” I played dumb. I didn’t really feel like rehashing last night’s events, whatever they were.

“I get the feeling you’re not the kind of girl who would expect me to call them later, am I right?”

Not where I thought he was going with that, but I wasn’t bothered, “I would rather not see you again, if that’s cool with you?”

“Sure, that makes this easy,” he nodded, “Where the hell am I taking you anyways?”

“The Hilton on Pac. Highway,” I looked out the window. The sooner I got out of this cramped space the better. As much as I dreaded, yes, dreaded, going in to work, I was even less enthusiastic about making small talk with a one-night-stand.

Luke pulled up to the curb outside the hotel. I hopped out, giving him a polite smile when he opened his big, dumb mouth.

“So when am I picking you up?”

“Excuse me?”

“You didn’t really think you were getting rid of me that easily, did you?” he smirked and I wanted to slap him.

“Um yes, actually, I did,” I went to slam the door shut, but his hand stopped me.

“Rose, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. It’s your choice.”

“Are you threatening me?” I seethed. This kid had a lot of nerve.

He chuckled, “I’m simply asking you to tell me what time you’re off so I don’t have to go in and ask your manager myself.”

I narrowed my eyes, “You wouldn’t dare.”

“Try me, sweetheart,” his expression was still playful but somehow I knew he wasn’t lying.

“I get off at five,” I gave in, “But I swear to God, if I see you before then, I’m going to get a restraining order put on you.”

“You wouldn’t do that,” he smiled. Just as I was about to turn and walk into the hotel a voice called out my name. Oh for the love of all that is holy…

“Rosie, you’re going to be late. Who the hell are you talking to?” Ethan waked up, snaking an arm around my waist, peering into Luke’s car.

“The names Luke,” he sized Ethan up, smirking at the ridiculous tribal tattoo wrapped around his massive bicep.

“Luke drove me to work today; Bailey had the car,” I explained, trying to tug Ethan away from the damn car and even father away from Luke.

“Well that was nice of him,” Ethan smiled, seemingly oblivious, “Mahalo, brotha!”

“Yeah, mahalo, man,” Luke’s eyes glided over to my own, putting his car into gear, he winked, “See you later, Rosie.”

“Nice guy,” Ethan commented as Luke pulled away from the curb. Jesus Christ.

“I like your shirt.”

Luke looked down and examined his shirt as if seeing it for the first time, “You like Coldplay?”

“I like a lot of things.”

He had picked me up from work at five o’clock on the dot, unsurprisingly and insisted on taking me out for something to eat. I expected him to be one of those guys who could put a bear to shame with their eating habits, but once again, he proved me wrong and ordered a damn salad. That didn’t stop me from order a gigantic plate of spaghetti though.

"So who was that guy?" Luke asked, setting his fork down. I knew he was going to ask, the kid was nosy as fuck, but I hoped he would forget somehow about our awkward powwow with Ethan this morning.

"My boyfriend," I answered simply.

He raised an eyebrow, "You have a boyfriend? You don't think that would have been useful information before we fu-"

"We have an open relationship," I rolled my eyes.

"So what, he screws other people?"

"Yeah," I shrugged, "but so do I."

"Then what's the point of even being in a relationship?"

"I like having someone to come home to and cuddle. Sue me. "

"What happens when he doesn't come home?"

"Then I cuddle with Syd," I was starting to get really fed up with this kid.

"Okay, what if she's cuddling with Tom?" He pressed.

"Then I cry myself to sleep," I snapped, "What the fuck do you want me to say?"

"Nothing," he looked away, pushing the rest of his salad around with his fork, "Just seems like you get the short end of the stick."

"You win some, you lose some," I sighed. He was right and I knew it but there was no way in hell I was letting him know that. No way in hell.

“So does that mean I can ask you out?”

“Wait, what?” I furrowed my brows.

“We should go out some time,” Luke met my eyes and smiled. This kid had to be dumb.

“I don’t do dates and no where in this conversation do I remember telling you I wanted to see you again.”

“You agreed to go to lunch with me.”

“You practically forced me to come to lunch with you.”

“I highly doubt you would do anything you didn’t want to, Rose,” he pointed out.

“Whatever,” I scoffed, “I don’t do dates.”

“Maybe you should start now,” he wasn’t giving up and it was starting to get annoying. I think.

“Ethan would kill you, you know,” I took a sip of his soda, “He doesn’t care if I fuck other people but I don’t think he’d be too keen on me going on actual dates with anyone else.”

“I thought you didn’t do dates,” he smirked, “Look, just one date. That’s all I’m asking. It doesn’t even have to be a ‘date’.”

“I don’t even know you,” I shook my head.

“I know,” his smile only grew.

"It would just be way too risky."

He nodded, "Yeah, you're right. We would be taking a huge risk."

"Good, glad you agree.”

"But see the thing about that is, I don't give a shit,” he grabbed my hand that was resting on the table. I had the urge to pull away but for one reason or another, I didn’t. His hand was large and warm and felt more like home than Ethan’s ever had. It scared me and thrilled me all at the same time.

“Fine,” I gave in, as I seemed to be doing more often the more time I spent around this kid, “One date”

This could not, would not, end well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!