18 and Life to Go

13: Everything I Ask For

[Lizzy's POV.]

Having Dan around was a bit weird. No, it's not like I didn't appreciate him around! I really did. It was just... Odd.

But then, having no one but Holly May around during the day was also pretty weird. This homeschooling thing came in rather useful at times.

I was going to redo one year of homeschooling as I had missed out a decent amount of classes during those five months. Nancy had told me that I didn't have to, that I could catch up over the summer, but I really didn't want to spend my summer studying.

And hell, classes weren't the only things I'd missed out on...

I'd missed out on a lot of important things. I wasn't there for Christmas or New Year's. I had no clue about what had happened between Phil and Juliette until Dan told me. I felt so confused on the day to day things, and everyone was always needing to fill me up. It bothers me a lot.

What can I do about it, though?

Nothing really. So might as well not complain. What's been done is done.

I heard the front door open, and Dan and Juliette laughing as they walked in.

"Hey!" Juliette cried when she saw me, and sat down on the stool beside me.

"Hi guys," I smiled, first at her and then at Dan, who came around and kissed my cheek.

"How was school? Anything interesting?"

"Nope, just pointless drama, like always," answered Juliette. Dan nodded.

"Where's Holly?" asked Dan, suddenly enthusiastic.

"She's sleeping, like-" I was interrupted by the sound of a baby's cry. "Never mind, she's awake," I chuckled.

"I'll go get her!" Dan dropped his bag and half jogged to the room.

Once he was out of sight, Juliette turned to me and said "You know? Dan's actually a pretty good dad. I've seen the way he is when you were... Well, you know, or even when you go grocery shopping with Nancy," she half laughed. "He talks to her softly and makes her giggle."

I hadn't noticed I was smiling until Juliette started grinning at me sheepishly.

"One time, I even heard him say something like 'you remind me of an oopalumpa, ya know, Holly? I hope you become a great baker. Like Delia, but that can wait. Literally.'"

I was laughing so hard that it was hard for me to breathe after a while.

"He doesn't know that I know that he does this though," she had an evil-esque grin on her face now, "He'll be all awkward the next time he tries doing it."

We both laughed silently.

I saw Dan approaching with Holly in his arms. She and I gave each other that "shush-he's-here-stop-talking" look.

I'm guessing he noticed, and gave us a weird stare.

"Euh, did I miss anything?"

We shook our heads amusingly.

"Okay..." he ignored it and handed me the tiny creature.

She had a hint of green in her eyes with a mix of blue. It was a nice color, if you ask me.
"Say, is there any chips in the house?" Juliette asked, completely out of the blue. "Or crisps, if you will."

"Not that I know of," I answered, shaking my head, making my hair fan out slightly. Holly giggled and tried to grab at it - she tried to grab anything that moved, really.

"Why do you want crisps?" Dan inquired.

"I dunno," Juliette shrugged. "Just in the mood... Eh, I think I'm actually gonna go down and get some. Does anyone want to come along?"

Dan and I shook our heads.

"Suit yourselves," she shrugged, grabbing some spare change, her iPod and phone from her bag. "I won't be long. See you!"

"Bye!"

She left, shutting the door with a bang behind her.

"She seems a bit off," I stated, turning to Dan.

"She's just upset..."

"Why?"

"Phil."

"Did he do something to her?"

"No, he just... He's getting friendly with another girl, and you know Juliette."

"Yeah," I nodded, but didn't continue the conversation further as Holly started squirming in my arms.

"Here, let me hold her," Dan offered, extending his arms and grinning.

I handed her over to him and she giggled, making strange baby noises.

"Hey there Holly," he whispered, poking her nose as she squealed happily.