18 and Life to Go

3: You Can't Change The Way I Feel

[Juliette's POV.]

Phil dropped me off on my doorstep at long last. I kissed him quickly then filed inside. I had half-expected the house to be empty, but then remembered Jake had extended his trip, and that, of course, Holly was probably sleeping peacefully somewhere.

"Jake?" I called out. "I'm home!"

"I'm upstairs!"

I dropped my bag in the hallway and ran up. He was sitting beside Holly's bed, playing his acoustic guitar softly.

"Hey, how was school?" He asked as I sat down on the door beside him.

"Good, yeah."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, totally."

We sat in silence for a bit, and I listened to him play. Finally, I said, "I've got this essay due for next Wednesday. I'd better get started..."

I got up, grinned at Holly, then as I was about to leave, Jake called me back.

"Yeah?" I said, looking over my shoulder, back at him.

"It's not like you to start an essay a week before it's due..."

"Yeah, well, senior year, Jake. I need to make an extra effort."

"Don't overwork yourself, Juliette," he warned.

I sighed. "I won't. I've just got nothing better to do with my time."

"You have friends, don't you?"

"Yeah, well, none of us are in the mood for any going out or whatever."

"You guys shouldn't be locking yourselves up. It'll just have negative consequences."

I stayed silent for a minute, then turned to face him. "Yeah, you're right. But... No motivation."

I turned aroun once again and left the room before he could say more. I grabbed my bag from the hallway, then went to my room and ended up studying... Until I was interrupted by dinner, which was then interrupted by the doorbell.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)