18 and Life to Go

4: You Brought the Flood

[Dan's POV]

I had been standing outside my front door for the past 15 minutes now, practically shaking out of my skin.

Why, you might ask?

Well, because today was the day I told my parents everything.

What do I mean by everything?

Well, about Lizzy's coma, and... Holly May.

They had absolutely no idea. They were grand-parents', for heaven's sake! They should have the right to know...

I didn't really know what to expect. Maybe I was just worrying about nothing.

I took a breath and opened the door. Only my dad was home at the moment; my mum would be in in about an hour, or so.

"I'll wait for her to get here before telling them," I decided.

----
"It's now or never, Dan," I mumbled, trying to convince myself to go there and spill my guts to my parents.

Somehow, 'never' seemed like a much more attractive option.

But I had to do what I had to do. I took a deep breath, opened my door, and walked into the living room where my parents were sat.

"Mum, dad?" I said gingerly. "I need to talk to you..."

"Um, sure Dan," my mum answered, a bit confused. "What's wrong, sweetie?"

"Uh... Well, you remember Lizzy?"

The two of them nodded, unsure of where this was going. Hell, they're not the only ones.

"Well, uh... She's not doing so well. She's... She's in a coma."

"Oh, honey! I'm so sorry! How did this happen? When?"

"Last week. Hallowe'en night, to be precise. And... You asked how. Well... Due to... Giving birth."

They stared at me, wide-eyed. "Dan," my mom spoke slowly. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean that... I'm a father, and you're grand-parents."

They stayed silent for a long while. I chewed my bottom lip, completely petrified. What was going on? It wasn't like them to be so silent for so long.

Then again, it wasn't like me to tell them such shocking things.

"Well," my mum finally said, standing up. "I'm going to regret this later... But... Daniel James Howell, go upstairs, to your room, right now."

I frowned. "Hunh? Mum, I'm 17, are you really sending me to my room?"

She gave me a look so fierce that I immediately shut up. I had never, ever seen her so mad. "No. I'm telling you to pack your stuff and get out."

Okay. So that was like a slap to the face. I was getting kicked out?!

"What, why?"

"Because I'm disappointed in you, Dan. I can't believe this. You're 17, for god's sake! You have your whole life in front of you!"

"Mum, you're not making any sense!"

"Well I don't have to! I'm your mother, and you will listen to me!"

"Well if you're my mother, why won't you support me?!" I looked over at my dad, but he was looking away. I turned back towards her. "I need you right now, and you're just kicking me out?!"

"I'm sorry Dan. This conversation is over."

I just stared at her. I didn't understand. What had suddenly gotten into her? She wasn't one to make rash decisions... What had snapped?

But I was too furious to make anything more out of it. I stormed upstairs, grabbed a rather large bag and hastily shoved whatever I esteemed I wouldn't be able to live without: a few tee shirts and my favourite pair of jeans; my wallet, laptop, and Ipod; my hair straightener; and whatever it was I could get my hand on.

I stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind me. I couldn't believe what was going on.

It was when I reached the curb when I realized I had no idea where to go.

I thought of my friends. Who would want of me?

I couldn't go to Finn and Jack's house, not with the tension still there between Finn and I. It had reduced, yes, but not completely disappeared, and I don't think it ever will.

I could try Phil's house...

Maybe I should call him first.

I pulled out my phone and searched through my contacts for his number. Finally, I found it and called him up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Phil. It's me, Dan."

"Dan, are you alright? You sound flustered."

"Yeah I'm fi- Well, actually, I'm not. I... My mom kicked me out of the house."

"What?! Why?!"

"Because.. I'm not sure. She said she was disappointed in me and stuff, because of Holly..."

"Aw, man. I'm sorry..."

"It's... Yeah, it sucks. But uhh... Do you think I could stay at your place, just for a little while?"

He was silent for a moment, then he spoke. "I don't know, Dan. There's a lot going on around here..."

"It's only for a few days!" I insisted frantically. I was starting to get a little desperate.

"Dan, you know me. I'd do absolutely anything to help a friend, you know I would. But this is just one thing I cannot do... Dan. Call Juliette. I know she'll be able to help you."

"Alright, thank you Phil..."

"Dan?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm seriously sorry, man, I really wish I could've helped, I just feel so bad, I'm sorry..."

I smiled slightly, running my free hand through my hair. "It's fine, Phil. I understand completely."

"Please don't be mad at me?"

"I'm not!"

"Okay. Good. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, see you Phil."

I sighed heavily as I hung up. If Juliette couldn't help me, then I was seriously screwed.
♠ ♠ ♠
yikes