18 and Life to Go

5: Don't Let Me Hit The Ground

[Juliette's POV]

We were in the middle of a rather dreary dinner when the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," I said, standing up and walking over to it.

On the other side of the door stood Dan, a large bag in one hand and his backpack slung on one shoulder, tear stains down his cheeks and his hair a mess.

"Dan!" I cried out, throwing my arms around him and hugging him. "What happened?!"

He dropped his bags and hugged me back. "I'm sorry, you weren't answering your phone, I didn't know where else to go, I don't know what to-"

"Okay, okay, calm down. Step inside and tell me what's going on!"

By that time, Nancy had joined us at the door. "Dan! What happened to you?"

He sniffed and looked at the ground. "I told my parents about Holly and Lizzy... But they didn't take it well. They kicked me out... And now I've got nowhere to go."

"Oh Dan," I sighed, hugging him again and running his back. "That's horrible, I'm so sorry!"

"I went to Phil, too, but he couldn't give me a place to stay... And I can't stay with Jack and Finn... So I came here."

"Nancy, Dan can stay in the spare room, right?" I asked, letting him go and looking at her pleadingly.

"Well," she sighed. "I guess."

"Oh, thank you!" I squealed, hugging her. I then turned to Dan and said, "You're gonna have to share with Jake for a bit though..."

"It's fine... Seriously, I can't thank you enough!"

"What are friends for, Dan?"

We left Dan's bags in the hallway, then went back into the kitchen.

"Hey Dan!" Jake said, smiling. "What's up, man?"

"A lot," he sighed, slumping down into a chair.

"Dan and you are going to share a room until you leave," Nancy informed Jake, sitting down as well.

"Oh, you're staying with us? How come?"

I mentally face-palmed myself. Why was Jake always so out of everything?

"I.. My parents kicked me out," he mumbled.

"Aw, sorry," Jake apologized, tapping him on the back awkwardly.

"It's alright... That's life, I guess?"