18 and Life to Go

6: Walk Away From Everything

[Phil's POV.]

It had been a bit less than a month since Dan had been kicked out, making it early December, and it was starting to get cold. I hated the cold more than anything. I would've rather stayed home today, but I had agreed to meet Juliette at the Starbucks.

Speaking of Juliette... We hadn't had much time to ourselves lately. Yeah, we have lunch together and things, but those hours were mainly spent bickering about the most ridiculous things. It was aggravating; somehow, all our recent conversations had turned into arguments.

I pushed the door open, my mood immediately lifting thanks to the warmth. I spotted her sitting beside a window, staring out intently, gloved hands clasped over a paper cup.

Shit, how late was I? She wouldn't have gotten a drink without me...

I walked over and sat down opposite her. She didn't notice me.

"Hey," I said softly. She jumped, and looked at me.

She smiled slightly. "Hey. I was beginning to think you weren't gonna show..."

"How late am I?" I frowned, checking my watch. My eyes widened in realisation. "Oh my, I... God, time just... I'm sorry, I lost track of time!"

"It's fine," she replied with a slight sigh, looking out the window again.

"Hey, don't be like that... I said I'm sorry!"

"And I said it's fine!" she snapped. "Just... Forget it."

"I don't understand why you're constantly giving me the cold shoulder."

"Look," she breathed out. "I'm not trying to give you the cold shoulder. I'm just under a lot of stress at the moment."

"And you think I'm not?"

"Did I even say that?"

"You kinda implied it."

"No, I didn't, alright? Just... Whatever. This is a waste of my time."

She got up hastily and walked out. I groaned in frustration, but set off to follow her.

"Juliette, wait!" I called out behind her.

"What now?!" she scowled as she turned around.

"You don't have to get so mad over such little things!"

"Excuse-me?!"

"You've been getting worked up over the most ridiculous things!"

"Well I'm sorry! You should've known what you signed up for!"

"I didn't know my girlfriend was going to turn out to be such an overreacting freak!"

She frowned, taken aback, but it didn't put her off. "Well then, if I'm such an 'overreacting freak', I must be a burden. Forget this, then. I don't want to burden you. Do us a favour? Don't call me your girlfriend, your best friend, or even your friend. Don't call me anything. It was great knowing you, Phil Lester."

And with that, she walked away.

It was when she walked away that it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I had just let the person I'd do absolutely anything for walk out of my life.

I wanted to run after her, I really did. But I had seen this all before. I had to let her walk away; she didn't want to be followed, not by me.

I kicked at the wall beside me. Ignoring the pain in my toe, I walked off the other way.

Remember when I said I hated the cold above anything?

Well, I lied. This feeling is what I hate above anything. I really thought this was different. I really did.

Guess I was mistaken once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorrrryyyy for blowing up your emails! I'm just trying to put up as many chapters as I can, because they're super short and I always forget to update this :)