Sempiternal

Losses

“I’m not so sure about this, Brie.”

“Relax! You look amazing!”

Lucy looked down at herself with insecurity. She had asked Brie to help her find a costume, and after much convincing on Brie’s part, Lucy ended up purchasing a Jessica Rabbit costume; red sequined one-piece and purple, satin gloves. She was worried that Stephanie wouldn’t approve.

She sighed. “Are you sure?”

The former Diva’s Champion playfully slapped her on the arm. “Girl if you don’t muster up some confidence, I’m going to make you take it off and I’ll wear it out there. You look hot. It really shows off your curves.”

Lucy looked at herself in the morning. She had to admit, Brie did a really good job on her hair and makeup. She didn’t even look like herself. Her hair wasn’t flat; it hung in long, loose curls. It didn’t look faded. It looked shiny and vibrant. She looked healthy.

“I do look pretty good.” She smiled to herself.

“Yes you do! Now go and flaunt yourself to the world.”

Lucy took off from the makeup area and searched the halls for The Shield’s locker room. She was nervous to see how they’d react to her costume. Roman and Seth had been so happy upon hearing the news that she was going to be apart of a gimmick. They even took her out last night to celebrate. Dean wasn’t as thrilled. Lucy figured that it was because he probably saw it as her getting something else she ‘didn’t deserve’.

She kept trying to convince herself that she didn’t care what he thought.

When she reached the door she had been searching for, she knocked a few times and waited. She didn’t want to burst in, for fear that one of them wouldn’t be decent. Not that she would mind seeing any of them indecent.

“Who is it?” She heard Seth taunt on the other side.

“It’s Lucy!”

Seth swung the door open to reveal Lucy standing there in that one-piece. His jaw nearly fell to the floor. At the moment he was thankful he wasn’t wearing tight fitting pants. Lucy smiled brightly, sauntering around her best friend.

“It-it has a, a tail.” Seth noticed. Lucy shook her hips showing off the little tail that was adjourned to the back of her outfit. “I’ll be right back.”

Lucy looked confused, but turned her attention to Roman who was smiling up at her from the couch. “You look great, Lucy girl.” He cooed.

“Thank you, Roman. I was afraid it was going to be too much.”

Just then the one man Lucy was really hoping to get a reaction from came through the door. Dean did a double-take, his eyes wandered Lucy’s figure. “Well if it isn’t Ms. Exotic Express.” He smirked. “You pull off Jessica Rabbit well. Where’s Seth?”

“Bathroom.” Roman and Lucy said in unison.

Dean chuckled. “Probably got a hard on after seeing you in that.”

Lucy rolled her eyes, and crossed the room towards the bathroom.

“You have a tail!?” Dean laughed even louder.

“Yes, there’s a tail. I’m glad you think it’s so funny.” Lucy snapped. She knocked softly on the door. “Seth, hun, are you okay?”

“Seth, hun, are you okay?” Dean mimicked her in a childish voice. She only glared at him.

Seconds later Seth appeared from behind the door holding a white robe. He held it out to her, silently asking her to please cover up. Partly because he didn’t want anyone making eyes at her, and partly because he wouldn’t be able to look away if she didn’t.

“Oh, thanks.” Lucy said cheerfully. “I was actually going to ask if you had one.”

She wrapped herself in the robe and Dean immediately scoffed. “Wow Seth, you suck the fun out of everything.” Seth glared at him.

They took a seat on the couch and Lucy draped her legs over Seth’s lap. Dean rolled his eyes.

“So what’s the plan for you guys tonight?” Lucy asked.

“Dean’s gonna lose his title!” Seth laughed. “That’s what he gets for being an asshole.”

Lucy frowned. “That’s not cool, Seth.”

“Yeah, Seth. That’s not cool.” Dean agreed.

Seth’s mouth popped open. “What!? You’re gonna take his side!? He’s been a dick to you since you got here!”

“Yeah, but I’m sure he’s upset about having to give up his belt. Aren’t you like the longest reigning U.S Champ, or something?” She asked Dean.

“Yes I am.”

“But not defending.” Roman interrupted.

“Hey!” Dean threw an empty water bottle at him. Roman laughed. “You stay out of this! It has nothing to do with whether I defend it or not, that part was obvious when they decided they were going to give it to fuckin’ Sheamus of all people. This is the price you pay when you feud with the Authority.”

“But their gonna get what’s coming to them. We beat them at Extreme Rules, and we’re gonna beat them again at Payback.” Roman said, holding up his fist.

Lucy smiled as Dean and Roman started bickering at each other over which bar they were going to go to later tonight.

Seth softly nudged Lucy in the arm. “How’s not selling t-shirts?”

She shrugged. “I mean, I still have to do it. Like whenever Adam doesn’t have a match.”

“Are you nervous about tonight?”

“Seth, I am going out into an arena filled with a thousand people while dressed like that. Oh, and let’s not forget on live television. Yes. It’s safe to say that I am very nervous.”

“Don’t be.” He reassured her. “Because you look great and you’re going to do fine.” He kissed her on the top of her head.

“Careful, Seth.” Dean interrupted. “Don’t want to pitch a tent. Again.” Seth picked up the empty water bottle Dean had thrown at Roman and hurled it at Dean hitting him in the shoulder. “That’s my bad shoulder, fuckin’ prick.”

“It was an empty water bottle, crybaby.” Seth replied dully.

There was a knock on the door, followed by a voice telling the three men that they were needed in Gorilla. It was almost showtime, which made Lucy’s stomach drop to her knees. Seth gave her one more reassuring smile before he headed out the door.

“Hey,” She called out to Dean. “I know you lose tonight and all, but good luck, still.”

He winked at her. “You too.”

Lucy got up too, deciding that she should grab a snack from catering to hopefully help settle her nerves. She sat down at one of the tables, watching the beginning of Raw as The Shield entered through the crowd. She was so proud of Seth. Hearing the pop they got from the crowd gave her goose bumps.

But she couldn’t keep her eyes off of Dean. He was so nuts. The way he moved around the ring, his jerks and jolts, and weird facial expressions. It made her giggle. It was a shame he was about to lose his championship belt, he wore it so well.

When the match started, she kept her eyes on him throughout the ensuing chaos. It was ironic to her that one of the first people Dean started fighting with was the man who’d be taking his title at the end of the match.

Superstars were being eliminated left and right, most of them solemnly winding up in catering. She could hear the disappointment amongst a few of them at how they weren’t chosen to be the new champion.

“He’s not even a damn American!” The man she recognized as Dolph Ziggler cursed as he sat down opposite her.

“If it helps, I agree that if anyone should have the belt, it’s you.” She replied.

He gave her a dazzling smile and nodded. “I appreciate it.”

They turned their attention back to the match. Lucy smiled at Seth’s attempts to motivate Dean; yelling at him to ‘hold on’, as he and Roman circled the ring like vultures. Dean eliminated Rybaxel, bringing it down to only three men; himself, Jack Swagger, and Sheamus. Jack tried to send him over the rope, but Dean held on for dear life, thrashing and kicking, until he countered and sent Jack flying. Lucy held her breath as she eyed Sheamus in the corner of the ring, laying in wait, and as soon as Dean turned around, Sheamus’ boot collided with Dean’s face.

She stood up and made her way towards the Gorilla Position.

“He’s not even American!” Dean yelled, kicking a chair.

“Are you okay?” Lucy blurted. She mentally kicked herself for showing concern for the former champ.

Dean looked at her and narrowed his eyes. “Yeah, I’m perfect. I feel like a fuckin’ peach.” He harshly brushed past her and continued muttering rude comments as he went.

“He’s just mad.” Seth told her. “And we’re not getting a win tonight over the Wyatt’s, either, so. I’d just ignore him for the rest of the night.”

She frowned. “Well, I’ll let you go do what you need to before your match.”

He kissed her on top of the head, once again. “I’ll be watching for you, later.”

They split ways, and soon enough it was time for the Exotic Express to make it’s debut. Lucy was shaking just thinking about dancing around in front of thousands of people. But she kept telling herself that she looked great, and everything would go as planned.

“Lucy, my love!” Adam skipped over to her. He had a red lollipop sticking out of his mouth and a giant smile on his face. “I’m so excited Lucy! Isn’t this so exciting!?”

Before she could answer him, a man dressed in all black directed her and her fellow rosebuds to the curtain as Adam’s music started. This is it, she thought before stepping through the curtain and into the spotlight.

The crowd wasn’t screaming like they did when The Shield came out, but even after Adam’s music died down, they were still singing the song. The rosebuds stood in the isle as Adam pranced around the ring, taunting Zeb Colter and Jack Swagger, before grabbing a hold of Colter’s mustache and saying, “Don’t be a lemon! Be a rosebud!”

Swagger went in for the attack, but Adam sent him flying over the top rope and into a pit of Rosebuds. Lucy and her crew began laughing at Swagger and mocked him for being a lemon. Rose’s music hit again and they joined him in the ring for a congo line around Colter. The crowd cheered much louder this time.

Backstage, Stephanie McMahon was waiting in the Gorilla position; a huge smile on her face as she congratulated them for an amazing debut.

“Lucy, you were fantastic. I told the cameramen to make sure you were front and center, and you look amazing. That costume is perfect!” She beemed.

“Thank you, Steph!” Lucy replied. “I would hug you but it was surprisingly hot out there and I’m sweaty.”

Lucy skipped off to the dressing room. There were many ‘Congratulations’ and ‘Good jobs’ coming from various talent and production crew. She was bursting with energy. Being out there was like a high she had never experienced before. She forgot about everything and focused on the crowd; their claps and stomps were like one giant heartbeat that fell in sync with her own.

She never ever thought she would enjoy being in the spotlight, after years of being invisible in the background; the place where she had grown accustomed to living. When she was out there, it was as if it was just her, and the crowd was screaming for her and singing for her. No one else.

As soon as she stepped through the door of The Shield’s private room, her mood quickly diminished. Inside were three brooding superstars, getting ready for their match against the Wyatt family tonight.

“Woah, guys, calm down. I know you’re happy to see me and all, but don’t over excited yourselves.”

Seth looked up. A lopsided smile formed on his face. “Hey,” He said softly. “You were great out there. I’m so proud of you.”

Lucy plopped herself down on the couch next to her best friend and he gave her a side hug. “Thanks.”

“We gotta go, dudes.” Roman said to Seth and Dean who were content on not going anywhere.

Dean groaned as he stood up. He was in no shape to be fighting anyone tonight.

“I’ll meet you guys in the parking lot?” Lucy asked. Seth only nodded before trudging off behind his friends.

She changed out of her costume and into a pair of loose sweats and a hoodie, making herself comfortable for the ride to Buffalo, before turning her attention to the match on the screen. Her boys were doing well, dominating Harper and Rowan, until Luke hits Seth with a nasty uppercut. She’s silently begging for Dean to be tagged in the entire time, and when he is, he’s erratic in the ring. Punching wildly at Rowan, desperately trying to bring the big man down. Rowan’s forearm collides with Dean’s jaw, sending him back into the ropes. Dean bounces back with a clothesline, and goes in for the Figure Four Leglock.

The other two members of the Wyatt family slide through the ropes, but Roman and Seth cause them to retreat. Harper tags in, unleashing a beating on Dean, followed by a vicious attack from Bray Wyatt. They tie him up in the ropes, Rowan giving him a swift elbow to the face, until Dean pulls down the top rope and sends both Erik and Luke over.

Seth is finally able to tag himself in, giving Dean a minute to recuperate. Seth knocks out Harper and Rowan with a suicide dive. Seth was all over the place cleaning up the trash that was the Wyatt family, until he’s sent over the rope and taken out by Harper with his own suicide dive. Roman has still yet to become a part of this match, the anticipation is written all over his face. He needs to get in there. Harper goes for the cover on Seth, but Dean comes out of nowhere and breaks up the count.

Finally Roman and Bray go face to face. Harper and Rowan try their hardest to interfere, but are taken down by Roman who seems to have all the energy in the world. A brawl ensues, but Dean and Seth quickly hit Harper and Rowan with stereo suicide dives. Roman knocks Bray out with a superman punch, signaling for Seth and Dean to assist him with their signature Triple Power Bomb.

Suddenly Evolution’s music hits, distracting them long enough for Rowan and Harper to attempt to blindside them. It doesn’t work, they’re thrown from the ring and are hit with yet another set of suicide dives from Seth and Dean; taking out Batista and Orton in the process. Roman hits Triple H with a Superman Punch, but turns right into an elbow from Bray Wyatt who then takes the big Samoan out with Sister Abigail’s Kiss.

Triple H stands up and Evolution begins their brutal assault on The Shield. Batista throws Dean into the steel steps before giving him a spinebuster. Randy Orton thwarts Seth with a hanging DDT. Triple H tried to give Roman a pedigree, but he counters, only to be RKO’d and Pedigree’d immediately after. Evolution stands tall over Roman’s limp body before lifting him up over Triple H’s shoulders to finish him off with a Triple Power Bomb. Lucy gasps as she sees blood coming from Roman’s mouth.

The show comes to a close with Evolution laughing in the middle of the ring over an injured Roman. She was sure that in the dark match Dean and Seth would come to the aid of their comrade, giving the fans what they really wanted; a Shield victory.

Lucy grabbed her suitcases and exited the small dressing room. She said her ‘goodbyes’ and ‘goodnights’ to everyone as she made her way to the parking lot where she’d meet her friends.

x x x


A few hours into their drive Seth and Roman were sound asleep in the backseat. Lucy offered to drive, giving the three superstars time to rest after the beating they had taken. It was only going to continue tomorrow night, as well. Dean sat awake in the passenger seat, staring aimlessly out the window. They hadn’t spoke since they hit the road.

Lucy didn’t know what to say. She didn’t want to be snapped at if she said the wrong thing, didn’t want to annoy him, and didn’t want to make things even more awkward. So she sat quietly, eyes fixed on the road ahead.

“Sorry about earlier.” Dean mumbled.

She raised her eyebrows. “For what?”

“You know, being rude. I’m sorry. I was pissed off that I lost. It happens. I shouldn’t have taken my anger out on you.” He was actually apologizing.

“Its okay?” She said, though it sounded more like a question, because in her mind she was wondering where this was coming from all of the sudden.

Silence fell over the two again. Lucy’s mind was racing.

“You looked really great tonight.” He said, turning his head to her. “And you don’t look anything like Lindsay Lohan, so I’m sorry about that too.”

“What’s this about, Dean?”

“I can’t compliment you?”

“Yeah, you can. But where is this coming from? You loathed me just a few days ago.”

“Well you’re not really that bad of a person, after all, I’ve realized. Don’t let it go to your head, okay. You’re still annoying as shit.”

“That makes two of us, then.” She flashed a smile.

Dean lowered the back of his seat as far back as he could without hitting Seth and turned over so that he was facing the door of the S.U.V.

“G’night.” He said softly, a small smile playing on his lips.

“Good night, Dean.”