Resurrected

The guy

As I woke up early in the morning, I began to go on with my daily routine. I nearly have forgotten I had Arthur sleeping on the couch. He seemed so peaceful in his sleep. It’s almost impossible to believe that I know more about him than he does of himself.

He’s the king who made a difference. He was the king who sought peace against kingdoms. He was nothing like his father, Uther. He married Queen Guinevere though she was just a servant, he loved her and she loved him. And though he might have teased his servant also known as my ancestor, Merlin too many times before, he was his best friend. They were like brothers. The two had a special bond. They trusted one another and Arthur even asked him for advice.

Now here he is, back from the dead all thanks to me. He trusts me. Though he knows nothing of me, he trusts me. I will not let him down. All I want of him is to regain his memory then to live the rest of his life, the part where he had never sight when he once was king.

I stepped into the kitchen and began making breakfast for the both of us. By the time I sat our plates down at the table, I heard a soft voice. “Smells good.”

“It tastes good too. Take a seat and try it out yourself.” I served us some coffee as Arthur took a seat. Then I sat next to him and had our breakfast.

******

After breakfast, I still had time to spare before work so I decided to stop buy the store to buy Arthur some clothes. He couldn’t have gone to the university in my sweats. He needed something that will be suitable for him. Then I went to buy a couple of dozen of donuts for my class.

“Well, here we are.” I stationed my car at the parking lot. I shut off the car and turned to Arthur who seemed tempted enough to grab a donut. Don’t even think about it, Arthur.”

“What? I was just looking at them, I swear.”

“Look, you can have some until I announce it to the class, okay? Now help me carry these boxes.” I got out the car and grabbed the boxes from the back and handed them over to Arthur. Next I’ve reached for my bags and locked the car.

Arthur followed my lead, curiously looking around campus. There were lancers walking past, some were on their computers, listening to music, talking with a group of friends, some were singing and playing guitars and bagpipes by the mirror pools.

As we entered one of the buildings to the schools, there were a couple of students waiting outside their class. Some were studying for their exams and others were stuck on their phones, playing games, texting, or socializing on Facebook.

We climbed up the stairs to the third floor and led the half empty halls, catching some of my students, walking their way to class. “Arthur, it’s right here.” I placed my hand on his shoulder to keep him from walking along any further.

“Right.” Arthur nodded.

I opened the door for him and let him go in first. “You could set the boxes down on my desk.”

I watched Arthur set the box down and told him he could take a seat on my desk. He did as I commanded and took a seat, looking up at me, waiting to give some sort of order.

I stepped in and set my bags down next to Arthur. Next I welcomed the class as I stepped forward to the podium. “Morning class. Last week you guys did an in class exam about what we’ve learned so far within the first five weeks of lecture. Well today, I have a very special treat for you. Well first things first, I brought you guys some donuts so you could come on up and get one.”

“Yes!” I heard Arthur excitingly attacked the box of donuts and began to feast, making the class chuckle to his behavior.

I bit my inner lips to hold in a giggle. I find it so amusing that though Arthur finished his breakfast and even took seconds, he still managed to be hungry. Yet not a single pound seemed to show that he gained weight. Arthur still looked as fit than ever.

Students began to step forward and grabbed a donut, some even decided to grab two. Then there were a couple of girls eyeballing Arthur. Something then hit me in my heart, the fact that some of my female students are interested in Arthur.

As I looked back at Arthur, he didn’t seem to notice that there were girls watching him. He kept his focus on his donut then he looked up at me and smiled, hiding his mouthful. I smiled back at him and went on with my lecture.

By the end of the first hour and a half in class, I let my class go out on their ten minute break as I tried setting everything up so we could watch a film on King Arthur and the great and powerful Emrys. Once I had everything all set out, there were girls stepping forward to flirt with the once King.

“So are you and the professor’s assistant or something?” I heard one of the girls question.

“Well yes he is.” I intervened the conversation. “He recently got the job.”

The girls looked at me for a second then turned back to Arthur. “Would you like to go out for a huge party going around this Friday?”

Not knowing how to respond, Arthur beamed his icy blue eyes to mines, expecting for a response. “He’ll be busy helping me grade papers.” A hand rested on his shoulder.

“Oh… Well maybe some other time then.”

“Perhaps.” I forced a smile.

The ten minutes were up and the class was returning from their break. As soon as everyone was on their seats, I reminded the class to take notes then clicked play on the film and grabbed a free chair, dragging it by Arthur and took a seat.

I could feel his eyes set on me as the film began. I looked back at him, catching him smirk at me. “What?” I whispered.

“Nothing, nothing.” His smirk grew into a grin, showing off his perfectly white teeth.

Halfway through the film, I heard the door open. At first I thought it was a student stepping out for a minute but no. It was a man with short black hair and blue eyes. I’ve never seen him in my class before in my life, but yet he still seems so familiar in a way. But who could he be?”

His eyes attacked mines then turned to Arthur, constantly keeping an eye out on him. Arthur seemed to notice the guy stepping in watching us. Arthur leaned close to my ear and softly whispered. “Who is he?”

“I have absolutely no idea.”

“Why is he staring at us?”

“Again Arthur, I wish I knew.”

“Want me to do something about it?”

“No it’s fine, if he causes any trouble then I’ll call the campus police.”

“Can I hold your hand? You seemed a bit tense.”

I smiled brightly at his offer. “That’s sweet of you but I don’t think it’ll be such a good idea if anyone in the class watches us. They’d probably think I’m sleeping with my assistant who by the way, is usually offered to students.”

“Well I’m not a student, but we are in a way sleeping together meaning under the same roof.” He formed a smile, sneaking his hand close to mines as we watched the end on the film.

I let go of Arthur’s hand as soon as the film has ended and dismissed the class. The strange guy, however seemed to stay behind, keeping an eye out for us. Why? Why does he seem so familiar as if I’ve seen him before?

Now that I think about it, he kind of does look like the old man I saw yesterday at the historical site. Could he be somehow related to him? His eyes are what give them away. Those eyes remind me of something but what?

“May I help you with something?” I asked in a soft tone.

The guy didn’t speak. His eyes began to swell up, constantly looking over at Arthur as if he knew him somehow. I knew that’s impossible because Arthur didn’t come back again from existence until yesterday.

What if he recognized Arthur from the old paintings that exists of him, or even worse, what if he saw everything? From me tossing a coin into the water where Arthur suddenly magically appeared out of the water. There would be a lot of problems.

The guy moved away and stepped out of the classroom. Well, looks like I may never know what he really wanted.