Status: Fin

The Untitled Diary of a Girl Named Bones

08

We are at the park.

To say that people think we're insane is the simplest, nicest way to put it. It's kind of amazing how we hadn't been asked to leave by the cops or something.

Aimee, Brendon and Jon had taken to hanging upside down from the top bar of the swingset. Brittany and Erin were sitting under a tree, braiding each other's hair, and talking about their latest boytoys.

Spencer was sitting up in the tree above them, unbeknownst to Brittany and Erin. He was poised to jump down and scare the living crap out of the girls.

I was sitting on a small hill a few yards away from the activity, just observing.

Until I noticed that Ryan was missing. To tell you the truth, I didn't know where he had gone.

I shrugged it off. I'm not keeper of the Ryan.

I leaned back, on my elbows, stretching out to soak up the last of the sun that the day had to offer.

It was a truly nice evening in late September. The thermometer spiked at about 60 degrees. I closed my eyes contentedly, simply enjoying the weather. I heard soft footsteps crushing down the grass, and there was the noise of a body making itself comfortable on the ground about a foot to my left.

I felt the slight tickle of hair being brushed off my face, and being tucked behind my ear.

"Mmm, hi, Erin", I giggled, figuring it was my best friend who affectionately moved my hair.

The hand retracted.

I opened my eyes and sat up to look into a pair of soft brown ones, not Erin's crystal blue orbs.

"Shit, you're not Erin."

He chuckled in reply.

"I hope I'm not Erin...", he said a bit uncomfortably.

"I hope not too!", I laughed, which in turn earned a quiet chuckle out of him.

"So what's the scoop, trooper?", I asked him in my best army general voice.

"You know, that would have sounded much more authoritative if you hadn't said 'what's the scoop'."

I stuck my tongue out. He laughed again.

We sat, watching our friends make idiots of themselves for several seconds.

I chewed on my thumb. "You know, Brendon and Aimee are adorable together", I offered.

Ryan smirked at me. "If by adorable, you mean that they are so alike in their insanity, it's kind of sickening, then yeah."

I smacked him on the arm lightly.

"No, I mean they're cute together. They would make a really nice couple", I explained logically.

Ryan gave me a skeptical look. "If you really think so..."

I smiled, staring at my shoe again. The atmosphere had gotten a bit uncomfortable all of a sudden. I watched my lunatic friends, pretending that I didn't notice.

"So, uh, Julie said your actual name was Fallon, or something?", he questioned, more than stated, hinting at my least favorite thing to be asked.

I scrunched my face up, and shook my head violently. My knees were pulled to my chest, and my arms were crossed on top of my knees.

"I hate my name."

"I'm sure it's perfectly fine."

I shook my head like a stubborn kindergartener again.

"Come on. I'll go ask your friends if you don't spill", he threatened.

I groaned, and buried my face in my arms.

I mumbled into my arms.

"What?", Ryan said.

I lifted my head enough so sound could escape.

"Yeah, it's Fallon."

He was silent for a moment, "That's a really pretty name."

I blushed.

"Sure it is", I grumbled.

"No, really. It is. It's different", he persisted.

"Yeah, well, if you call me that, I will personally castrate you", I said with the utmost sincerity, and biggest fake-smile I could muster.

He chuckled, and grabbed my hand.

I allowed him to pull me to my feet. We started heading towards the rest of our friends, who were now laying on the merry-go-round with their feet hanging off. I gave Ryan the universal signal to be quiet, a finger to the lips, and stealthily moved closer to my friends.

They were all talking, and didn't see my approaching figure in the now twilight.

"AHA!", I shouted, pointing at Aimee and Brendon's linked hands.

"I knew it!", I did a little happy victory dance.

Aimee blushed, and Brendon smiled like a retard. I hugged Aimee while she scowled as though she would tear my head off once the boys were out of sight and hearing range.

I grabbed Brendon in a headlock and gave him a noogie.

They're such a cute couple.

We walked back to McDonald's, where the cars were still parked. The whole way, Ryan had placed his arm on my shoulder, and I had wrapped my arm around his waist, leaning my head on his shoulder.

It was comfortable.

The temperature had dropped, making me glad to see our cars parked there in the parking lot as we had left them.

We all stood, not sure what to do, waiting for something to happen, between to the cars.

Spencer and Brittany were staring at each other, Jon and Erin were having a poking war, and Aimee and Brendon were just holding hands, watching cars pass by on the highway in front of the McDonalds.

I turned back to Ryan, who was staring at me.

I turned my violet eyes down, to the pavement.

"You know, you observe an awful lot", he said.

"I know", I shrugged.

It was silent.

"Come here", he said, tugging on my hand.

He pulled me towards the back of the McDonalds. Only, we kept going. Behind it, there was this little patch of trees, and behind that, a great big empty field.

I was very confused as to why the heck we were back there.

"Uh, Ry...", I started.

"Shh", he said, and pointed towards the horizon.

Sitting on the horizon, as if it was the ground holding it up, was the largest, whitest moon I had ever seen. The stars glowed brilliantly as a backdrop with thousands of tiny pinpricks of light.

"Oh, Ryan, it's beautiful...", I breathed.

I looked at him. Once again, he was staring directly at me.

All he said was "I know."

A look flashed behind his eyes, nervousness, perhaps.

He leaned in, ever so slightly.

I lifted my head, expectantly, hoping.

He pressed his lips to mine sweetly, and gently.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him to me. Not like there was any space between us to begin with.

He deepened the kiss, running his tongue along my lip, and I ran my fingers through his short, choppy hair.

I pulled away, and he looked disappointed, until he realized that I only did so I could breathe. A smile crossed his face.

"Fuck", he said.

I sighed happily. "That's one way to put it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Next one's coming...
Haha.
I love you, Aimee.