To My Loyalty You Reside

Chapter 1

I had no idea why I won this invitation. I didn't enter any contest and I have no special skills, so why am I even holding this suspicious thing?

Dear Miss Hahukini,

I extend my deepest congratulations! You have won the greatest of opportunities to experience a type of time travel! In our controlled environment, you can experience any era of time you can imagine! You can even experience your greatest fantasy! Have you ever imagined living like a princess, becoming stronger than any man, faster than any animal, living in a dystopian country, living in a certain time in history, or experiencing a fantasy with half-human half-animal beings? Well, with this controlled environment, in combination with virtual reality systems, you can experience any fantasy, or rather reality, that you could ever hope for! If this is appealing to you in anyway, then please do reply as soon as you open this letter. We will be waiting, rather expecting, of your call.

XXX-XXX-XX74 or XXX-XXX-XX89

Sincerly,

Your Benefactor.

How could I answer to such a thing? I sat on my chair, beyond dumbfounded, trying to make sense of this letter. Did it say I could even live a fantasy of half-human half-animal hybrids? How could they make up such a thing? And what virtual reality systems? Is the government funding this project? If so, where did these things come from? Before I could think further, the phone rang. I answered, without saying anything, the person on the other side knew who I was.

"Ah, good afternoon Miss Hahukini. Now, it has come to my attention that you have received our letter. We have come to the ultimate decision to call you instead of you're calling us. Now, what is your answer, Miss Hahukini?" asked the cool, male's voice. How did they know I received the letter? Were they tracking it through the mailman? I became extremely paranoid. Were they watching me now? How did they find my number? "Miss Hahukini, I understand this is an extreme request of a young 18 year old girl, like yourself, but isn't it every young person's dream to live out their greatest fantasies as a reality? To live it as even a reality escape? Shall we give you another hour to decide?" asked the male's voice. I stumbled through my thoughts and reacted before I could think. I slammed down the phone and hung up. I was so confused and scared I didn't even notice my parents had come through the door. Loud and obnoxious as always. I couldn't talk to them about something as serious as this. I snatched up the letter, phone and my schoolbag while running up the stairs. I slammed closed my door, listening to their conversation. They were complaining about me again. They were saying I was useless, I should leave for college now and get out of their lives, among other things. I could feel hot tears staining my face as I listened to them degrade me, knowing full well I was upstairs. I wiped away the tears as the phone rang again. I could hear my mother yelling at me to knock off the racket. I snatched the phone and forced myself to listen to the male voice once more.

"Ah, good afternoon once more Miss Hahukini. I am fully aware it has been only a few minutes, but have you changed your mind?" he asked coolly. His voice was so smooth it could hypnotize people. I listened to my parents swarm my door, cussing me out, and threatening me like I was a poisoned animal. They were treated me like a poisoned animal that attacked them day in and day out, as though I were the one in the wrong, I was the one that was causing them pain! I sucked in a hot breath, feeling it fill my lungs and stop my tears was enough to cause me to throw up! I felt my body tremble with unadulterated rage. I knew I would regret this decision till I died, but at that moment I couldn't care less.

"Come get me. I want to live my own reality. Now." I emphasized on the now because I couldn't care less I ever came back here. This place was no more a home than I was a poisoned viper striking away their life savings. In the next three seconds, the yelling stopped and soft knocking broke the sudden silence. My parents never knocked softly. It was almost against their entire beings. Grabbing my already packed bag, I swung open the door with such force it broke the wall. I looked the man standing there coldly. He only smiled approvingly at me. He offered his hand down to the stairs and I left in front of him. I noticed bodies on the floor, but didn't notice any details. I was already out the door, in the yard and standing in front of the van awaiting to be taken away. When the door opened I almost fell to my knees.

The man standing there had no human ears, but a pair of pointed Lynx type ears sitting comfortably on his head. His eyes were so cold. They were the color of new found gold, shining more brilliantly than the sun, more blinding than any other light. The pupils were so sharp they could have sliced open my soul to leave me bleeding for eternity. His smile had no human teeth there to greet me but instead to pour utter fear into already oozing wounds. Those teeth had the ominous feeling of a hunting predator, the smile only had the sharp, fine points of a hungry feline, on the hunt and finding its prey. He had normal skin and arms, but his hands were tipped with claws, stronger and sharper than any other nail. His legs were bent more like a pouncing feline than a standing human. Although he was sitting in a bench type seat in the van, it was apparent how his legs were shaped. The man didn't even wear shoes. Instead his feet weren't even feet, they were fur covered, slender, long, claw tipped paws! I felt my strength disappear like a raging river to an ocean that would never flow again, the blood run from my face like the melting of metal, and my head began spinning more quickly than a merry-go-round on adrenaline with a jump start of sugar. What have I gotten myself into?! Will this decision end me before I can leave this house?!

"Please don't hesitate now, Miss Hahukini. Now is the time to act, not prepare. You did request we come to collect you now, no?" came the cool, smooth voice from the phone through his smiling lips and cracking of canines. Now that I hear him in person, I can hear a bit of hiss in his voice, almost a purr as though he were amused at the sight of me losing my will or strength right in front of him. Was this man half Lynx?! I hesitated but a moment before climbing into the van of my own free-will, and sitting across from the Lynx man. I was having a hard time adjusting to his appearance, so I'll use this ride to adjust to his, abnormal, appearance. I don't exactly know why I had climbed in so effortlessly or so smoothly, but now that I am sitting in this van, I felt safer than I ever had in that house. "Very good, Miss Hahukini. Your journey to your personal reality will begin when we arrive. And believe me when I say there is nothing like it in the world." he said smoothly with a prowling smile on his face. His fangs glittered with excitement as he closed the door, with me inside. I continued to stare this feline down and his smile grew even more intense. I was finally aware that I had walked into a death trap, but for some reason, it didn't scare me at all. I felt like I had done this all before.