To My Loyalty You Reside

Chapter 2

When the van came to a halt, the feline man smiled. His wicked nature shown through those glittering canines like the shadows from a tree on a moonlit night. He pulled open the door and allowed me to exit from our transport first. I stepped from the transport only to see a looming public school. It looked clean, as if newly built and hasn't had the chance to build up a reputation yet. It was beautiful though. The landscape prowled about the school as if it were a protective, colorful blanket. The grass was so green it was almost like giving you the feeling of being high, the colors of the school may have been neutral, but they shone brighter than the sun. This place was amazing, not only in appearance and stature, but also in the presence. It made you feel as if you were being protected from any negativity you may have encountered, heal any wounds you may have sustained in your past. I have felt this feeling from an earlier time, like I had done this before.

"Shall we, Miss Hahukini?" asked the feline man, scavenging forward in a stalking manner. I felt an ice cold chill flow down my spine like frozen spring water. I could feel that chill run down through my bones, it froze my muscles then shattered my nerves. His eyes laid themselves upon me, asking a silent question as to whether I was coming in or not. I sucked in a deep breath before allowing it out slowly to calm the chill. I followed the feline man inside where my chill grew colder, deeper and much more prominent. The feline man stole my bag before disappearing through the wall. I did a double take before I realized, rather accepted, that he had truly went through a wall, defying all states of logic and laws of physics. Then the intercom came hissing to life above me.

"Please do forgive me, Miss Hahukini. But we must test you to make sure you can live in this fantasy world. If you can survive in this fantasy world, we will give you the ultimate prize! You're own, personal fantasy reality!" he cackled across the intercom. I felt fear like no other could be caused run through my veins, frozen like ice in the antarctic. I glanced around, finding no way out! Where did the door go?! I heard growling, crunching, snapping, water smashing against tile so loudly I could have sworn it sounded more like mouth smacking. This was truly a land led savage in some bad horror fantasy. I turned toward a loud snapping sound, only to be met with a more awareness of what true fear is. There stood a large beast in front of me that could have easily eaten me in one gulp. I couldn't see him clearly, but I was sure that it was somewhat human though. Even through the shadows, I could see somewhat of a crouching human, but my instincts told me otherwise. They were screaming that this was no human, even if genetically altered. They were screaming like tornado sirens, warning me of the danger but my fear wouldn't allow me to move. When the beast finally scowled at me in the light, I felt my eyes grow so wide I thought they would explode like an enclosed volcano!

There, standing in front of me like a predator, was a half-human half-animal hybrid gone wrong! There were random fur spots sprouting from each leg, arm, foot, and hand. The tufts of fur were acting like prairie grass that couldn't quite make it in a desert terrain. There was also fur sprouting down along his spine, it even lined his jaw line showing off what little humanity he had left, and his hair resembled more of a ragged mane that had been put through a paper shredder. His growl was so low a pitch, I could feel it reverberate through my body, loosening my muscles, almost turning them to liquid. His fur was the color of discolored rust tipped with nightly black. A terrifying combination in an already disrupting environment. His eyes were in the shape of glowing orbs, the color of fresh steel but a failed cross between human and canine. They tried to retain a human oval shape, but the canine points and feral looks forced their way to the surface. His fangs were short but dripping with drool, lie glittering ice, although they looked more human than canine. His body was in human form, crouched over onto all fours, but it was warped if it were being twisted into an unnatural, unwished for state of being. It looked as though his spine would rip from his body any moment, his muscles bulged from under his skin as though the skin itself were too tight, and I could swear I saw his bones crunching under the horrendous weight this thing must have. It was hard for me to gauge how tall or long the body was, but a crude, misshapen tail sprung from from his back. It had tufts of fur growing at the ends, along the top of the tail, but I couldn't tell what color. It looked like a hairless mutt's tail!

A loud, threatening growl broke me from the thoughts. I looked the beast in the eye as he lowered his head, readying to pounce on me, his final prey. I broke my body from the frozen spell it had put upon itself, breaking into a dead run. I had to keep myself out of its pouncing range. If it could jump as far as I thought it could, it could easily reach me with one 8 foot leap. I could feel the beast land each time it hit the ground behind me. It felt heavier, stronger than any earthquake. I tried to leap froward with the help of the vibration from the beast's landing, but continuously lost my balance. I knew I had to keep moving, even if I had to land on my face to do so. A door opened to my left. Weighing my options quickly, before another hurling leap from the monster, I slammed closed the door behind me. I searched frantically for anything strong enough, even for a little while, to keep out that monstrosity. Finding steel railings, I slid them in front of the door with great difficulty. I watched helplessly as the door vibrated so much I thought it would shatter along with the railings! I forced my eyes from the door to look for a way out, finding nothing apparent, I began sliding my hands along the walls. Maybe I could find a weak enough wall to break through. Without noticing it at first, there was wind traveling through the wall. I cocked my head to the side, curiously as I searched for the source. Finding it to be the size of a needle, I tried to widen it. I felt a stinging sensation on the back of my leg. Looking down I saw my pant leg soaked with blood. When had I gotten hit? Searching the door with my eyes, I saw the monster waltzing back and forth in front of it, like a wolf scouting the area. Shuttering at the thought of being that thing's lunch, I tried more forcefully to pull open the wall. Without any success, I searched the floor for anything heavy. Finding nothing to help I broke open the window, hoping to take the framing. With my hand, elbow and forearm caked in blood, I ripped off the metal framing and began lashing out the stone wall. Though the room was darker than a moonless night in the middle of the forest, I saw no reason to aim. When the wall finally gave way, I saw another room that was far larger than this one, and well lit. I could see well across the room and the room I was in.

Climbing through the shattered wall, into the now open tiled room, I was finally able to catch my breath. My breaths were hot and stung my throat as though I was in a desert, but it still felt good to breathe. As I slowed my rabid breathing, I saw that this room looked like a laboratory. Could this be a science room? I shrugged and looked around for anything that could be made into explosives. Cracking a wicked smile of my own, I found the perfect combination. I also began searching for anything that could help in stopping my bleeding. If I could stop the bleeding I could possibly sneak from this room without that thing catching my scent as easily.