Who Would Have Known

Time to Go

It is Kris who pulls me off the floor, “Sky look at it this way, at least your father didn’t have Nick killed right? I mean he could do that, hell he could probably do it himself.” My tears fall faster, I can’t breathe. Nick dead? I feel the soft black carpet under my fingers again, my body shaking with the thought.

“Kris, you’re an idiot. Sky, you have to get up off the floor. Nick is fine, and you need to get ready. You can’t stay on the ground forever crying.” Crystal tries the bad cop routine. My eyes just won’t stop leaking. My father really expects me just to get over the man I have loved for five years like that? I have to at least see him. I have to know he is ok. Father could have really killed him.

“I need him, I need to see him. Star please. I need him.” Every word is hard to compel out of my throat. “Skylar, I can’t bring him to you.” She says while brushing my shoulder length hair out of my eyes, “I can call him, and you can talk to him, but we have to get you ready. You only have a couple more hours.” My head nods in agreement, Kris is dialing the number. Crystal is pulling out my outfit, and Star is looking at me like I might break at any moment.

Hell I just might.

Nickolas voice is the one thing that keeps me grounded when the world is spinning out of control. He was my anchor when my mom died, three years ago. He was the one thing that made me keep going through everything.

“Sky, baby are you ok?” His voice is full of concern, and love.

“I’m ok, just panicking. I thought something happened to you, you were not there when I woke up. And then someone, Kris, said that father could have you killed. He could, he wouldn't even care.”

“Baby, calm down. You’re making yourself crazy again. I am fine, do you hear me. Well I’m not fine but I am not dead, or hurt for that matter.” Star looks at me, her eyes darting to the watch on her left wrist. Time to go it says.

Time to go meet my future husband, “Nick I have to go. I love you. I will always love you.” I don’t wait for him to respond, I know he loves me. It would make this harder than it already is if I heard him say it.