Who Would Have Known

Being Stubborn

Last look in the mirror, everything was the best that I was going to get it. “Come on, Sky. Time to go meet your husband, maybe he’ll even be hot.”

“Not everything is about looks Kris.” I sighed, but she was right. They would be here any moment and father wanted me down before they pulled up. The walk down the stairs was longer then I thought. Or maybe it was me dreading this conversation, scared of what it could mean for my life. I might be strong, but I bet he was stronger. I wouldn't win in a fair fight.

My clothes felt too tight the farther I go to the door; they picked out the strangest outfit I have ever worn. Kris said that the point was to show off my features; Crystal said that I have to be able to move and not care if I had to destroy it; Star mumbled under her breath that father would not be pleased. Father definable would not be pleased with this outfit choice.

My brown hair was lightly curled; framing my face, Kris put heavy eye liner and mascara around my hazel eyes to bring them out, a green and black corset laced up my back showing off my subtle b cup chest, black jeggings to show off my calves, and black laced ankle boots. I felt weird, but I had to make a good impression on him. Might as well look sort of sexy, right?

As I reached father outside on the patio the look he gave me said all he could he ever think. He disproved, he was ashamed. “Skylar May, I told you to look presentable this is not how you dress. You look like you are out to a bar. Not meeting your fiancé, I expected more.” My face got hot, “Well father, I expected not to be married to the highest bidder for your sorry ass peace. You could have just wrote a peace treaty, but oh no. You had to sell me. I expected more from you father.” I couldn’t look at him; I was fighting back tears as it was. “Skylar….” He was cut off by a blue Jeep Wrangler pulling up. Here he was it was now or never. An older man got out first, his black hair was graying around his ears, he looked about six foot as he was walking over to us, his muscles rippling with every move. As if he was expecting to be attacked at any moment. His green eyes locked right on to my father, and a smile took over his red lips. “Graham! What a great pleasure to finally meet you.” Their hands meet in a powerful handshake, “Nice to meet you as well Hayden, where that son of yours?” “He’s being a child and pouting in the car. Come let’s leave them, he’ll get out or die of heat stroke. I hear you have quite the rum stash.” “Hayden, nothing passes you. Come on in.”

They act as though they have known each other for years; they act as though they haven’t been at war with each other for centuries. Right before my father shuts the door he says “Skylar don’t be shy, go talk to your fiancé. You are not coming in this house until he is with you.” The door closes and I hear the lock click firm. I sigh, nothing I can do unless I want to break into the house. Which is not going to happen, I slowly walk over to the Jeep, hoping that the doors aren’t lock. As his father said he will have to come out sooner or later, or die. When I get over to the passenger side door, I can almost see him. I can see his frame which doesn’t look that bad, his shoulders are broad but goes well with his neck and chest. I pull on the handle, yup locked. His eyes lock on to mine, I smile hoping that it doesn’t look to weird. Hell this whole thing is weird. My left hand reaches up to knock on the window, and he just rolls his eyes at me.

“I know you can hear me, so if you are just going to be rude, than you can just sit in there all day. I cannot go back inside without you, so if you want to die out here in a hot car than be my guest buddy. But I am going to sit in the shade, bye.” As I walk away from the car, I can hear the door open, and footsteps walking towards me to the shade.