Status: Although there are 16 chapters written for Omega Lupus, I'm currently in the process of editing each one; smoothing out the plot holes, correcting spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes, that sort of thing. Nonetheless! I will update when I can ^^

Omega Lupus

CHAPTER Three |Cara|

I’ve been padding along for a while now. I’d caught a rabbit when I got hungry and ran some more, wondering at brief intervals if I could simply just keep running for, well, ever. I was imagining that particular idea when my wolf-self made me stop, breathing deep and searching the smells. Excitement accelerated my heart and I shivered, tail wagging faintly.

Then a dark shape hurtles out of the brush, slamming into me. He tackles me, standing over me, his dark gaze steady. His whole body shakes though and I can only stare back, too shocked to even whine, my breath stuck in my throat. He bares his teeth in a wolfy grin and a thought wiggles into my head, its simplicity, yet white hot strength jolting me into action, [MATE!]. As I stumble to my paw, panting heavily, he slowly stretches forward until his chin almost touches the ground, his eyes searching mine as the thoughts tumble into me again and I wince, [Mate… Cara…]

As if stung I yelp and my wolf-self momentarily takes over, “[Name.]”

Never in my entire life has anyone but myself used this pose of such submissiveness. The black wolf inches closer, [Damien… My name… is Damien…] I don’t know how he was talking into my mind, but I couldn’t make the connection back so I continued to communicate through typical wolf language. I breathed in more steadily, searching for more smells, which I hadn’t been able to do before being so startled. The scent hits me then, his scent, like a brick wall. Storm clouds and wood smoke…

Then, without being able to resist I leap forward, curling around this stranger wolf. I felt Drake’s familiar, but not entirely welcomed presence right before he snarls, “[Cara!]” his voice lashes, cruel and hard as granite. I immediately fall to the ground, rolling to expose my unprotected throat and belly, fear lancing my heart as the Alpha approaches, followed by the rest of the pack. But as abruptly as they’d appeared, he stands over me. His head is low to the forest floor, eyes narrowed to fiery green slits while a low, continuous growl bubbles threateningly from his jaws. Every muscles quivers tautly, ready to attack.

Drake hesitates as another black wolf, this one a female, and a sandy brown male steps up beside him in similar, ready-to-strike positions. Fur bristles and teeth flash on both sides as the air practically hums with the coiled tension. Then a friendly and well-known red pelt joins the fray, moving between the three wolves and my pack, “[Enough!]” Kelse snaps and steps in front of him, “[Damien… can you let Cara up now?]” she asks, her sweet scent calming as it envelopes everyone.

His growling doesn’t falter but he does move, keeping his form between Drake and I, eyes challenging. Haltingly I get to my paws, whimpering faintly, expecting bloodshed to break out at any moment. They stay still though, the pack eyeing the five of us warily. Kelsey atnds beside me, quiet and pale eyes worried as I struggle against the instinct to drop back to the ground.

“[Cara…]” Drake’s voice is less harsh than before, but I still flinch, bewildered and trembling, “[can you call of your… uh, Soulmate?]”

I balk, “[Soulmate?! That’s impossible! I’m… I’m just an Omega!]”

“[We know.]” Kelse soothes, “[We need Damien to back off a little so we can figure all of this out. You can talk to him.]”

I glance at the black he-wolf, “[and you won’t hurt him?]” I say, surprised, but proud of my unwavering tone.

Kelse snorts, “[Not unless we want the entire Frankfort Pack coming for our hides.]”

I freeze in realization, “[Wait… Damien… he’s… the son of the Alphas…]” I start shaking all over again.

Her voice becomes a couple shades grimmer than before, “[We know.]”

I am quivering so much now I’m sure I’ll fall over. Fear and exhaustion uncoils in my gut and I totter, a whine other than my own making me look up, even though everything spins dizzyingly, [Cara…] Damien says to my mind, [Mate… protect…] he’s staring at me, his gaze and thoughts burning with unveiled concern.

I inch closer to him, [Damien… I… are you ok..?] I ask timidly through the link, not even sure I’m making a connection.

But his ears prick and he leans forward to rub his cool, wet nose against my cheek, [Searching… long time… for you…] he was slowly relaxing, his humanity returning. Then he turns to Drake, “[I’m sorry, we should… we should get back… I’m sure everyone’s curious… and confused… about the situation…]” he finishes in a rush and takes a deep breath.

Before anyone can say anything though Sarah begins to growl, “[She’s just an Omega! She’s useless!]” the Alpha Female’s voice gradually rises in pitch until she’s virtually shrieking. I wince, tucking my tail underneath me and staring at the ground. Usually Kelsey’s the first one to react to Sarah’s harsh words about Omegas and I wonder if Damien will. In fact, I think everyone is shocked when it’s Drake that speaks up.

“[Sarah, that is enough.]” he uses the Alpha Voice. It’s something only the current Alpha Male of a pack can use and makes it almost impossible for any wolf within that pack to disobey, although some Lunas, including Kelsey, are immune to it.

“[Come on.]” Kelsey nudges me and I realize Drake has plunged into the vegetation, his shoulders hulking as Sarah meekly follows him. The rest of the pack falls into step behind them and I automatically stay at the back, Kelsey a couple paces ahead. I can’t help feeling disoriented though knowing I’m not really at the rear of them. Damien and the other two Frankfort wolves are there, a respectful distance between us, but still not in front of me. I can literally feel Damien’s anxiety through the connection and his eyes watching my every move. Amazingly I feel strangely safe under his scrutiny and only then realize what else is bothering me.

The whole pack is on edge and it doesn’t feel like Drake and Sarah were the entire cause. Several of them even glance back at me, their eyes showing their unease. Kelsey slows until we become level with each other, her expression curious but friendly as ever, “[It’s not you.]” she explains, knowing me too well, “[They don’t know how to act. They’re afraid to act as they normally would, snapping at you and stuff.]”

“[Why?]” I have to ask, incredulous.

She smiles slowly, “[Damien.]”

“[Oh…]”

She stifles a bark of laughter, “[It’s amazing Cara! Don’t let their old school traditions and thoughts conform yours. At least there wasn’t any bloodshed.]”

Then we’re back at the Homestead, the smaller buildings lost in the night’s shadows, deepened by the moonlight, while the main building stands tall and enormous. I shake away my qualms with the place where Sarah and her son sleep and detach myself from the pack, making my way to the little house I call my own. I’m more than relieved my clothes haven’t been snatched and begin the Shift.

It was painful, more painful than usual and slow coming. Afterward I have to breathe deeply and gir my teeth until my protesting muscles allow me to stand. On normal days there isn’t anyone that would come back here, but I’d sorely forgotten this was most definitely not a normal day. He sits a couple yards away, still as stone, eyes unblinking. I can feel his anxiety, but now it’s coupled with a satisfied, if not cheery pride heavily edged with possessiveness. I feel my cheeks heat up and snatch my long shirt from the porch steps and pull on my underwear, nonetheless glad the shirt falls to my thighs.

“Hello Damien.” I say, or mutter.